Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 02:16 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,725,789 times

Advertisements

Calling someone from Latin America "spanish" is like calling an American "english". Incorrect, and possibly offensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 02:29 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
You really need to start hanging out with people who did not drop out of school in the 8th grade. I don't think I have met a person who thought Spanish came from Mexico and not Spain who was not a very young child.
Some people are dumb in my state, but the big difference is I don't live in a border state with Mexico, I live in a border state with Canada. There's not a whole lot of Mexicans up here, so people here assume that Spanish = latinos. The young people aren't any different, they can tell you the different kinds of liquor you can buy and the alcohol content and what to mix drinks with, but they couldn't tell you which Canadian province borders PA and which state borders PA

Old 10-04-2012, 03:28 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catbelle View Post
I have been in USA twice and I was surprised most of the time about the same thing, the real meaning for people about the term Spanish person my question it is always from this kind of conversations:

Are you Spanish?
Yes I am.
From where?
The central area next to the capital
No, I meant from what country?
Spain...

And also I have a friend who told me he has a Spanish workmate, I asked him from where and he told me from Guayaquil (Equator)

My question and my surprise is: why some people don't make difference and call Spanish to all people who is native Spanish speaker? Does this happen in many places? Does it have something to do with language or terminology?

It is a mess as Latin America is quite big.

Thanks guys.
Some people simply aren't educated about terminology; the difference between "Spanish" vs. "Hispanic".

Old 10-04-2012, 04:11 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Spanish means only one thing: you are a citizen of Spain.

I had a snarky encounter in Barcelona which soured me on the Catalans. I was at the viewpoint over the harbor taking pictures and lapsed into a conversation with a presumably retired couple taking in the view. Having taken the language in college, I spoke to them without a hitch. The woman said that I spoke well, and asked me where I learned it. I responded "Yo tome' un ano de Espanol en la universidad." (I took a year of Spanish in college). She muttered "Espanol ... hmmm ... Espanol." I thought "Please save your separatist mentality for some local on a balcony across from yours and just be appreciative that someone learned your national language, stupid b itch. I don't control what college classes are labeled." In the US, it's Spanish and NOT Castilian.

In Seville, I got a positive spin on the same issue. A guy I was talking to said "Usted habla un Espanol correcto, que no es el Castiliano." ("You speak a correct Spanish, which is not Castilian.") It makes one feel good about having studied the language.

You call Hispanics by their country of origin. Simple: Venezuelan, Argentine, Chilean, Cuban, and YES, even Mexican ... it seems no one uses the word Mexican anymore.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:39 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
You hear it in the Northeast a lot, usually referring to Puerto Ricans & Dominicans. You might also hear "Latin"

I think it the rest of the country you'll mostly hear "Hispanic" and "Latino" I never hear anyone use "Spanish" in that way here in the South
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
In New Mexico, many people make a distinction between 'Spanish', being reserved for the descendants of Spanish settlers, and 'Mexican' for people from Mexico or with Mexican heritage. Obviously those who call themselves 'Spanish' are from the United States but have cultural ties closer to Spain than Mexico. We have been visited by the king of Spain more times in the last 20 years than the president of Mexico :-)

Other places I have lived such as New York tend to use 'Hispanic' or 'Latino', reserving the word 'Spanish' for a language, not a culture.

I think maybe in some parts of the world with few Spanish speakers, European or Latin American, 'Spanish' may be a catchall term.
In Northeast and particularly in the NYC area, people use Hispanic to mean anyone from Latin/South America or the Caribbean Islands that speak Spanish. Otherwise the term "Spanish" either means the language itself or a person who actually comes from Spain. The only exception is that I did meet a woman several years ago from Barcelona who said she was Catalan not Spanish.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:06 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post

I had a snarky encounter in Barcelona which soured me on the Catalans. I was at the viewpoint over the harbor taking pictures and lapsed into a conversation with a presumably retired couple taking in the view. Having taken the language in college, I spoke to them without a hitch. The woman said that I spoke well, and asked me where I learned it. I responded "Yo tome' un ano de Espanol en la universidad." (I took a year of Spanish in college).
FYI In Spain they attend (asistir a) rather than tomar (take) clases.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:54 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
FYI In Spain they attend (asistir a) rather than tomar (take) clases.
Same thing in Italy:

"Ho dato un esame" (I gave an exam) rather than "Ho preso un esame" (I took an exam) but, as for the Espanol, not bad for a gringo, eh?

Old 10-04-2012, 07:13 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,098 times
Quote:
Same thing in Italy:

"Ho dato un esame" (I gave an exam) rather than "Ho preso un esame" (I took an exam) but, as for the Espanol, not bad for a gringo, eh?
Absolutely. It's probably correct usage in other countries anyway - Spanish can be quite different in Spain. In Spain you coger un autobus, but in latin america coger means screw. Go figure.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:04 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,487,999 times
Quote:

I had a snarky encounter in Barcelona which soured me on the Catalans. I was at the viewpoint over the harbor taking pictures and lapsed into a conversation with a presumably retired couple taking in the view. Having taken the language in college, I spoke to them without a hitch. The woman said that I spoke well, and asked me where I learned it. I responded "Yo tome' un ano de Espanol en la universidad." (I took a year of Spanish in college). She muttered "Espanol ... hmmm ... Espanol." I thought "Please save your separatist mentality for some local on a balcony across from yours and just be appreciative that someone learned your national language, stupid b itch. I don't control what college classes are labeled." In the US, it's Spanish and NOT Castilian.
Yeah, I don't know why but in Catalonia they HATE to say "Spanish" maybe for the separatism, they use a lot the word "Castellano" altough it sounds more local, from Castilia for example, in my area we can all it in the both ways but most of people say "español" because it sounds more general, it is the language of the whole country...

Another stupid thing: I studied education degree, and if we want to work in a public school we have to do an exam for the government, in that exam we can use Spanish/Castilian but whatever we use we have to explain the judges and examinators WHY do we use the term, completely stupid in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
In Northeast and particularly in the NYC area, people use Hispanic to mean anyone from Latin/South America or the Caribbean Islands that speak Spanish. Otherwise the term "Spanish" either means the language itself or a person who actually comes from Spain. The only exception is that I did meet a woman several years ago from Barcelona who said she was Catalan not Spanish.
Yeah very usual there too lol, next time tell her to show you the identity card, to see if it is writen SPAIN or CATALONIA lol

Old 10-05-2012, 10:24 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
I guess I can understand the Catalans a bit.

I imagine had Norway not separated from the union with Sweden in 1905, they would still bristle at being referred to as Swedes or as speakers of Swedish.

For years when I was young, I was called "Little Tommy" by many people in my community. Tommy is my older brother's name. Pissed me off, my name is Convict!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe