Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 06:51 AM

5 posts, read 51,694 times

Advertisements

Bläh!

I'm American born and raised in New York who moved to Stockholm, Sweden for two years due to work. I've been here two weeks and already noticed the difference.

Everything is SMALLER and MORE expensive. 5 :- (around 80 cents) for using public bathrooms. Must be a joke! Not a single store except few chain restaurants have bathrooms. Even mall public bathrooms cost money to use!

Meal sizes are OK except that drink sizes are tiny. Using ice on drinks is rare. Large soda in Sweden is medium in the U.S., and it cost 10 :- (around $1.30 for refill). Drinking soda in Sweden is almost like drinking luxury drink in the U.S. McDonald´s only had 5-6 different meal options, while there are 13+ in the U.S.

95% of the things are much more expensive in Sweden than the U.S. Sales tax is 25% and 12% on food.

I liked their public transportation. Road signs and road system stink.

Once living here you appreciate more and more America and I cannot wait to move back!

Old 05-25-2012, 09:04 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,339,147 times
I know where the free public bathrooms are, but since you don´t have much nice things to say I´m not gonna tell you.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:20 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,402,456 times
Wow, harsh.

I would literally give my right arm to live in Sweden. It's not utopia, but I am determined to make it my future home someday. The things you criticise it for are some of the things I like about it.

If you want to trade places tomorrow, DM me.

Some of my favourite bands are Swedish too.

I think that most of Europe in general would be a bad fit for you for the same reasons. Come back to the US of A.

Cheer up and go and watch an Allsvenskan match. AIK are a good team. Follow it up with a nice fika.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:57 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Sweden is a northern country, which you may not have noticed, since it's almost summer, you missed the winter. You can't compare Sweden in terms of cost to the lower 48 states. Go spend some time in Alaska for a more appropriate comparison. You might come away thinking Sweden is cheap. Plus, in Alaska, you don't get free medical care, full university scholarships, and so many other good things Sweden has to say for itself.

Last edited by Vichel; 05-27-2012 at 11:32 AM..

Old 05-25-2012, 09:59 AM

2,615 posts, read 5,402,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Sweden is a northern country, which you may not have noticed, since it's almost summer, you missed the winter. You can't compare Sweden in terms of cost to the lower 48 states. Go spend some time in Alaska for a more appropriate comparison. You might come away thinking Sweden is cheap. Plus, in Alaska, you don't get free medical care, full university scholarships, and so many other good things Sweden has to say for itself.
Ruth definitely speaks the truth!

Last edited by Vichel; 05-27-2012 at 11:32 AM..

Old 05-25-2012, 10:00 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,194,055 times
Wow, only two weeks and you already hate the place. It is nice and sunny in STHLM at the moment, so how in hell are you going to survive during the winter months?

Big Mac, Quarter Pounder or McWhatever? Who cares? It is crappy food anyway. Americans really love to drink large quantities of soda. I went to Six Flags in NJ last year. I was quite shocked to see all those people buying the 28 oz /0.82 l sport bottle with free refill. No wonder so many of them were overweight.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:29 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
Big Mac, Quarter Pounder or McWhatever? Who cares? It is crappy food anyway. Americans really love to drink large quantities of soda. I went to Six Flags in NJ last year. I was quite shocked to see all those people buying the 28 oz /0.82 l sport bottle with free refill. No wonder so many of them were overweight.
Seriously. Who eats McDonalds' anyway? How old are you? I don't know anyone who eats fast food. Most sodas are awful. Try drinking fruit juice instead. I'll tell you who has great and very cheap soda, all natural, no artificial flavoring. Take a weekend trip to St. Petersburg sometime (it's almost right next door!) and get some of their own soda, it's called "limonad" (lemonade). It comes in different natural fruit flavors. I brought a half-dozen bottles of that back to Sweden with me once, and people couldn't get enough of it.

I hope you figure out a way to enjoy your stay. How long are you there for?

Last edited by Vichel; 05-27-2012 at 11:30 AM..

Old 05-25-2012, 12:58 PM

61,745 posts, read 87,217,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American in Sweden View Post
Bläh!

I'm American born and raised in New York who moved to Stockholm, Sweden for two years due to work. I've been here two weeks and already noticed the difference.

Everything is SMALLER and MORE expensive. 5 :- (around 80 cents) for using public bathrooms. Must be a joke! Not a single store except few chain restaurants have bathrooms. Even mall public bathrooms cost money to use!

Meal sizes are OK except that drink sizes are tiny. Using ice on drinks is rare. Large soda in Sweden is medium in the U.S., and it cost 10 :- (around $1.30 for refill). Drinking soda in Sweden is almost like drinking luxury drink in the U.S. McDonald´s only had 5-6 different meal options, while there are 13+ in the U.S.

95% of the things are much more expensive in Sweden than the U.S. Sales tax is 25% and 12% on food.

I liked their public transportation. Road signs and road system stink.

Once living here you appreciate more and more America and I cannot wait to move back!

Well, Sweden is not US, people have different lifestyle, needs, food preferences and customs. Why didn't you do some homework to find out if you would like it there before moving to Stockholm?? Lots of people love to live in there, you obviously not. Great! Move back to the US. End of the story...

Old 05-25-2012, 01:08 PM

26,793 posts, read 22,572,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigswede View Post
i know where the free public bathrooms are, but since you don´t have much nice things to say i´m not gonna tell you.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:18 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,863,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
I know where the free public bathrooms are, but since you don´t have much nice things to say I´m not gonna tell you.
Hej Big Swede,
Can you explain how to distinguish the front from the back of a tree ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe