Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2013, 10:06 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,181,569 times

Advertisements

I've certainly heard it was expensive. But, I just did a comparison between hostel beds in Berlin vs. Oslo. In Berlin, you can find hostel beds for as low as 10 euros. In Oslo, the lowest was 38 euros a night.

I knew it was expensive, but surprised by that much. I've also heard drinking as well. I've heard it is cheaper for Scandinavians to take a ferry or a flight for a good drinking spree, rather than just getting a good weekend out on the town, at home.

Basically, all true? Fairly insanely expensive? Or am I just seeing a little window without the total reality to it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 10:29 PM

4,936 posts, read 3,312,269 times
I visit travel to Scandinavia regularly for holidays. Denmark Norway and Sweden. And yes alcohol is very expensive. Cost of living is expensive. Hotels , restaurants etc are expensive. If you want specific prices of certain items just google search.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:33 PM

4,936 posts, read 3,312,269 times
Travel to Norway - Official Travel Guide to Norway - visitnorway.com has a section on currency and prices and see also Tourist Frontpage USA | VisitDenmark etc

Old 01-27-2013, 04:31 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,723,520 times
I spent one day in Helsinki, and feel qualified to declare Finland the most expensive place I've ever seen.

-2007 I think-
A 12 oz. can of coke from a Helsinki mini-mart--2€
The toilet at Helsinki McDonalds (free in most of the world)--1€
Beer in an average looking Helsinki bar--7€. Talking to the bartender he told me his guaranteed [minimum] wage was about $11 per hour, not including tips. Holy mackerel.

We got right back on the ferry from whence we had come. Hello Estonia~goodbye Finland.

Tallinn is full of Scandinavians who skip across to Estonia to eat and drink on weekends because they can't afford it at home. Brits too.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:55 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,184,833 times
A minimum wage of only $11? I feel sorry for the poor guy.

Many people like to save money. Norwegians go to Sweden to buy things cheaper, the Swedes to Denmark, the Danes to Germany, and so on.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:35 AM

1,100 posts, read 1,215,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
I spent one day in Helsinki, and feel qualified to declare Finland the most expensive place I've ever seen.

-2007 I think-
A 12 oz. can of coke from a Helsinki mini-mart--2€
The toilet at Helsinki McDonalds (free in most of the world)--1€
Beer in an average looking Helsinki bar--7€. Talking to the bartender he told me his guaranteed [minimum] wage was about $11 per hour, not including tips. Holy mackerel.

We got right back on the ferry from whence we had come. Hello Estonia~goodbye Finland.

Tallinn is full of Scandinavians who skip across to Estonia to eat and drink on weekends because they can't afford it at home. Brits too.
If you think that Finland is expensive, try Moscow

Here is some tips:
-Dont use mini-marts, they are expensive because they have high costs and open almost all the time.
-Toilet is free for clients(For sure), this is normal for all bars/restaurants in Finland...Need to understand that Mcdonalds or any bar is not public toilet, that is not business if 90% of those who are entering to the bar want just to use toilet and dont buy anything.
-Beer prices are starting from 3,5 €, depending of place,size of the beer and brand....and as everywhere, exported beer is always more expensive than local brand.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:52 AM

255 posts, read 927,050 times
Denmark's minimum wage is about in USD 17.10 an hour, but the average wage is around 40.00$ an hour - so the high cost of living isn't noticeable if you live there.

Also, Estonia and Finland are not a part of Scandinavia. Both are Nordic, however. Estonia's not that cheap, but compared to Finland it is. -

Old 01-27-2013, 10:27 AM

401 posts, read 534,244 times
Most everything is expensive in Scandinavia, and Norway is on top. But...it also depends on yourself - how much you want to spend.

Let`s say you drive a caravan or RV. In Norway it is not illegal to camp where ever you want, so a lot of German tourists fill up their RV`s and overnight just about anywhere they want. For free.

If you go to Scandinavia (Norway) to enjoy nature - which is unparallelled and breathtaking - you need to plan a little - and with some frugality and investigation you might do good.

If you just sit in a restaurant or bar and hit the tourist traps - it is always going to be expensive, but what fun is that?

Old 01-27-2013, 11:29 AM

1,100 posts, read 1,215,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightForFreedom View Post
Denmark's minimum wage is about in USD 17.10 an hour, but the average wage is around 40.00$ an hour - so the high cost of living isn't noticeable if you live there.

Also, Estonia and Finland are not a part of Scandinavia. Both are Nordic, however. Estonia's not that cheap, but compared to Finland it is. -
No, Estonia is not calculated to the northern countries, it is Baltic-country.
Finland is Fenno-Scandia country and so is northern part of Sweden and Norway (Depending how the borders are calculated)
Generally, Scandia/Scandinavia is area that includes Sweden,Norway,Finland and Denmark.
Depending on meaning of terms, part of Finland is part of Scandinavia also.
Scandinavian Peninsula - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I have noticed from your other messages that some how it is really hard for you to undestand this issue

Sorry but I dont buy your statement that minimium wage in Denmark is 17,10 USD and average wage around 40,00 USD.
Here is some wages on Denmark:
Denmark Country Wages, Hourly Wage Rate | PayScale Denmark

Average difference between prices (Finland-Estonia) is 16%.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:41 AM

6,467 posts, read 8,184,833 times
The average wage in Norway is now around $46 per hour (1,950 hours per year). There is no government regulated minimum wage here.

Estonia is far from a Nordic country. It is part of the Baltic region.

Nordic: Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland and Iceland
Scandinavian: Denmark, Sweden, Norway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe