Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 06:36 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCostello View Post
I think in the eastern Europe Greece is indisputably the most westernized country, while in the west it's definitely Poland that has been most "easternized", which is not surprising as it had the most exposure to eastern Europe.
Poland is definately not in western europe.
Its over 1000miles away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 08:16 AM

282 posts, read 962,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Poland is definately not in western europe.
Its over 1000miles away.
Well thats just simply not true, most of Poland is geographically in western part of Europe not that it matters at all since historically and culturally Poland is nowhere near Eastern Europe though, as I said, it's the most easternised of all Western Europe (assuming you're only dividing Europe into east and west).

Old 03-23-2013, 11:53 AM

370 posts, read 951,096 times
Slovenia

Old 03-23-2013, 12:30 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCostello View Post
Well thats just simply not true, most of Poland is geographically in western part of Europe not that it matters at all since historically and culturally Poland is nowhere near Eastern Europe though, as I said, it's the most easternised of all Western Europe (assuming you're only dividing Europe into east and west).
Well no it isnt.

Its in the eastern hemisphere.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ternEurope.png

Western europe as specified by wikipedia.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:37 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,859,823 times
I realize that Europe is often divided into Eastern and Western regions, but generally Europe as a whole is considered to be part of The West, with Turkey and Russia being the gateways to The East.

So I don't really understand the question. Is the OP asking which Eastern European country has become most like a Western European country? Or are they asking which European country has become the most Americanized? Because even though there are differences between Eastern Europe and Western Europe, Eastern Europe is and has always been The West. It certainly isn't The East.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Well no it isnt.

Its in the eastern hemisphere.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ternEurope.png

Western europe as specified by wikipedia.
So you're arguing that Poland is GEOGRAPHICALLY eastern European because of a map which shows 2 countries that start more east than Poland as western? :-D

Old 03-23-2013, 05:22 PM

257 posts, read 518,194 times
With regard to geography Baltic States can´t be regarded as Central European countries. You are wrong.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiri View Post
With regard to geography Baltic States can´t be regarded as Central European countries. You are wrong.
The person you're reacting to has probably heard of Europe twice in his life, I don't think there's a point to bother with that one...

Old 03-23-2013, 06:26 PM

257 posts, read 518,194 times
You know the map the northern irish guy posted is confusing. Europe has longer history than 20th century and it seems that most of people don´t care about that. As for culture, history or religion, my country is definitely part of "West". Even Protestantism (Hussite Movement) arised in my country. It was more than 100 years before Martin Luther. There is nothing wrong with being "East" but we have never been part of that (with exception of 1948-1989). But I guess you are interested in history, geography and so on and know this stuff.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:33 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
I can see classifying Eastern and Western countries in Europe is causing some confusion, those of us over a certain age know that European countries were originally classified as either Eastern or Western depending on which side of the iron curtain they were situated, therefore Poland for example was always Eastern European whatever its actual geographical position :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe