Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 04:17 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

Do you think Northern Europeans and Northern European culture is more prone towards being thoughtful and intellectual, maybe because they seem more reserved, serious and introverted, whereas Southern European culture is more extroverted and flamboyant, and more concerned with 'doing' than 'thinking', and with living life to the fullest without overthinking it much?

Of course, I know some of the greatest thinkers and philosophers were Greeks and Italians, but I wonder if the overall culture in Northern Europe, especially Scandinavia, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium - is more inclined this way.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:52 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,426,428 times
I wouldn't know. I'm Southern European so I couldn't even finish reading your post. So many long words put me off.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:55 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,284,957 times
appearances can be decieving , on the surface , perhaps , yes

some people wear their intelectual ability lighter than others , i would say australians are an example of this , irish people too

Old 01-27-2013, 08:27 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,261,618 times
there are intelectual and non-intellectual people in all countries. I think you have a strange image of southern European culture. Culturally speaking, if we want at all price to make over-generalisations, I tend to think that it is more southern European cultures that favour more intellectual life and abstract things, while northern cultures are more inclined towards pragmatism and a maybe more materialistic approach to life.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:47 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
The division crap is gradually spilling over from the politics to the Europe forum. Southern Europeans are now becoming Europe's African-Americans, right?

Old 01-27-2013, 12:05 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,521,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Do you think Northern Europeans and Northern European culture is more prone towards being thoughtful and intellectual, maybe because they seem more reserved, serious and introverted, whereas Southern European culture is more extroverted and flamboyant, and more concerned with 'doing' than 'thinking', and with living life to the fullest without overthinking it much?

Of course, I know some of the greatest thinkers and philosophers were Greeks and Italians, but I wonder if the overall culture in Northern Europe, especially Scandinavia, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium - is more inclined this way.
I find Russians to be the most intellectual out of all Europeans. ( After all it's only natural that the nation that is the most unsettled in political/economic sense of it in history would always question things more and dig deeper when it comes to the meaning of life, philosophy, history and what's not.)
Western Europeans are more pragmatic comparably to Russians, be that North or South ( even the French, whom I'd expected to be more on the intellectual side just because of their culture and history. They were however, more on pragmatic side on one hand, and light- hearted and humorous on another.)
The only exception I'd say were Germans; I guess it's a part of their national character to be discerning and to "dig" for a deeper meaning of life and social issues, not unlike Russians.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:11 PM

520 posts, read 1,514,443 times
A highly stereotyped debate. If you compare upper-middle class professionals or intellectuals from Northern Europe to Southern European peasants or craftsmen then you could come to the conclusion that the former is more sophisticated. However (!!), on the other hand you could also compare lower-class, "white trash" from Nothern Europe to educated and intelligent "Southerners". You see, it depends on the perception. Really relative.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:18 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,181,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brabham12 View Post
A highly stereotyped debate. If you compare upper-middle class professionals or intellectuals from Northern Europe to Southern European peasants or craftsmen then you could come to the conclusion that the former is more sophisticated. However (!!), on the other hand you could also compare lower-class, "white trash" from Nothern Europe to educated and intelligent "Southerners". You see, it depends on the perception. Really relative.
So you are basically saying that working-class people from Northern Europe are white trash. That is idiotic and highly racist.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:25 PM

520 posts, read 1,514,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwlt View Post
So you are basically saying that working-class people from Northern Europe are white trash. That is idiotic and highly racist.
I didn't say working-class, I said "lower-class" trash. Mostly refers to the type of people who don't work and are on the dole and furthermore are obnoxious, loud and basically the opposite of "intellectuals".

That type of people, you know?

Old 01-27-2013, 12:29 PM

147 posts, read 312,706 times
Statistically speaking, people in the very South have less IQ than people from the North, though the highest IQ have people residing nearby the Alps. http://hbdchick.files.wordpress.com/...map-europe.png
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe