Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 03:36 PM

233 posts, read 449,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
its not a stretch to suspect as much but again i never heard it was a brit who coined the phrase

its a deeply unpleasant acronym , surely you agree

Bob

I seem to recall that is was coined by the Financial Times, it seems they are not above the style of English tabloids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 04:13 PM

295 posts, read 1,155,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightForFreedom View Post
I'm aware of the severity of the issue, but it increased a full 400% in a single year, I have confidence they will be out of a slump faster than Spain, who hasn't received assistance to a remotely comparable degree.
Didn't received the same assistance because Greek's economy was in a worst shape, actually, what is going to be difficult for Greece is to return the assistance received.

the worst of the crisis in southern Europe has not begun yet, and if one of the PIGS falls, the rest are going to fall too, one after another.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:23 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Tom9, it looks like I can get Felipe II for $19.99/750 ml and Cardenal Mendoza for $57.99/750 ml. Is it worth trying the Cardenal Mendoza?
Viajos, Felipe II is a middle tier brandy. Not bad but nothing to write home about but even at $58 Cardenal Mendoza is certainly woth it. It is one of the top brandies from Jerez. I like it more than Carlos I but it is in the same class. Lepanto is also a fine Andalusian brandy at about the same price. I take it you are in the US. Like everything from Spain or France the prices are double that of the EU but what's money for anyway. Once in a while we can go a little crazy.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:27 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom9 View Post
Viajos, Felipe II is a middle tier brandy. Not bad but nothing to write home about but even at $58 Cardenal Mendoza is certainly woth it. It is one of the top brandies from Jerez. I like it more than Carlos I but it is in the same class. Lepanto is also a fine Andalusian brandy at about the same price. I take it you are in the US. Like everything from Spain or France the prices are double that of the EU but what's money for anyway. Once in a while we can go a little crazy.
Thanks, we will check out cardenal Mendoza.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:32 PM

Felipe II is not middle, but very low. People here use it to make carajillos, coffee laced with brandies. I'd rather have brandless brandies bought by liters than Felipe II.

I used to buy a lot of Spanish wine in the US....it was quite baffling to see that in many cases the wine was cheaper than in Spain. Importers bought large quantities and for example, Viña Pomal and Marques de Riscal were cheaper there.

I'm talking about many years ago, so I don't know now.

As to Spanish brandies, you find Torres and Duque de Alba, but I don't recall seeing any other, no Mascaró.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:40 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
the euro was a poorly devised project from the outset , it attempted to merge a bunch of inherently disprate nations and economies under one currency jurisdiction while at the same time promsing to respect individual nation soverignty , this was unfair to everyone , from german savers to portugese workers , it benefited investment banks however , they had a whole bunch of new customers and were rid of inconveniences like FOREX considetations

the brits have problems with their economy but they had the good sense to stay out of the euro

did tony blair get anything right looking back ? , he was 100% in favour of the uk joining the euro

Old 03-01-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargamel10 View Post
Felipe II is not middle, but very low. People here use it to make carajillos, coffee laced with brandies. I'd rather have brandless brandies bought by liters than Felipe II.

I used to buy a lot of Spanish wine in the US....it was quite baffling to see that in many cases the wine was cheaper than in Spain. Importers bought large quantities and for example, Viña Pomal and Marques de Riscal were cheaper there.

I'm talking about many years ago, so I don't know now.

As to Spanish brandies, you find Torres and Duque de Alba, but I don't recall seeing any other, no Mascaró.
I consider very low Soberano, Fundador (Tres Cepas, now found only outside of Spain unless you frequent La Alemana in the Plaza Santa Ana in Madrid. They have about a half a dozen bottles from at least 45 years ago but not for sale) To me Felipe II is the next step up along with Veterano. Felipe II comes in several different grades. The cheapest that you refer to is the solera but that isn't exported to the US...maybe in Miami where you can get a wider choice of Spanish products. I have never seen it here.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:58 AM

In Miami you've got lots of Spanish brandies with brands not known here, those brands are solely for exports, and you find Duque de Alba and Cardenal Mendoza and some top notch brands unknown in Spain in about any liquor store. It's quite baffling to see that any medium range liquor store there carries more labels and better selections than any regular liquor store here, with a bunch of surprising brands...

I remember I once found "Asturian wine", but I guess that it was a hoax of some type to cater to Asturians in the Americas...Asturias only produces a minimal amount and they drink it all. The only advantage in Spain is local brands, there are many local cellers producing small amounts and excellent wine you buy in cellers for two or three euros a liter.

As to brandy, apart from Duque de Alba, Cardenal Mendoza and Cardenal Cisneros, I favour Mascaró...Mascaró is produced 15 miles from here and you can buy dozens of varieties...I remember buying Mascaró for 120 pesetas...now about 12 euros to whatever...

Way back there were many more brands, before taxes, euro and democracy. I have a few bottles of José I, a collector's item. José I was the best king Spain never had...but he had a small defect..he was Napoleon's brother.

Last edited by Gargamel10; 03-02-2013 at 04:06 AM..

Old 03-02-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargamel10 View Post
In Miami you've got lots of Spanish brandies with brands not known here, those brands are solely for exports, and you find Duque de Alba and Cardenal Mendoza and some top notch brands unknown in Spain in about any liquor store. It's quite baffling to see that any medium range liquor store there carries more labels and better selections than any regular liquor store here, with a bunch of surprising brands...

I remember I once found "Asturian wine", but I guess that it was a hoax of some type to cater to Asturians in the Americas...Asturias only produces a minimal amount and they drink it all. The only advantage in Spain is local brands, there are many local cellers producing small amounts and excellent wine you buy in cellers for two or three euros a liter.

As to brandy, apart from Duque de Alba, Cardenal Mendoza and Cardenal Cisneros, I favour Mascaró...Mascaró is produced 15 miles from here and you can buy dozens of varieties...I remember buying Mascaró for 120 pesetas...now about 12 euros to whatever...

Way back there were many more brands, before taxes, euro and democracy. I have a few bottles of José I, a collector's item. José I was the best king Spain never had...but he had a small defect..he was Napoleon's brother.
How are the prices in Miami now? Here in Chicago they are through the roof in some places three times more than Spain and now you can't carry on you have to put it in your luggage which is a bit risky.

Speaking of Asturias, the vermouth there is really a fine drink. I prefer it to the Italian bottled stuff. There was a great bar in Oviedo, right near the university that specialized in local vermouth.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:07 PM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel de Vol View Post
Which is covered in the third option. - I was being slightly sarcastic.

I was amused by Oy Crumbler's apparent suggestion that Argentina was set apart from (and morally superior to?) Venezuela, Cuba and the US "because it imported a considerably smaller population from Africa as slaves..." when the reason it had fewer slaves was because it needed fewer slaves.

In the US, slavery was abolished by the 13th Amendment, but that amendment did nothing to correct the scandalous treatment of many immigrant labourers after they were released from the concentration camp on Ellis Island. 'Indentured Servitude' might have been illegal, but 'I owe my soul to the Company Store' was more than just a line in a song.
Why is it amusing? I didn't say they wouldn't have taken slaves if it were economically advantageous to them. I just said it's not something people can point to.

Also, Ellis Island is not the same thing as a concentration camp. That's some good hyperbole there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe