Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 10:21 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,629,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Some stereotypes are true others are not.
Exactly. So try and keep and open mind. I was born and raised in the South. I am not racist. I am not bigoted. I do believe in a swift justice when people break the law but not outside of the law. I am educated. I am a backslide Christian who has an interest in Bhuddism and Hinduism. I believe in civil unions for gay people and don't understand why the insistence on the word "marriage" as the intent is to provide them with civil recognition in civil matters.

And, yeah, I have French neices and nephews who were shocked, shocked, I tell you, that we had Appalachicola oysters that were as good as the ones they ate on their native soil of Noirmoutier.After 15 years, they still talk about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 11:36 AM

370 posts, read 950,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Some do, but the vast numbers of tourists visiting other European countries in Europe (no doubt helped by cheap airfares) show that are attractive enough. The exotic is only one reason, and someone from England can easily get a culture shock going to Italy. Just because they're both in Europe doesn't mean there are not great differences between the two.

Someone from England can easely get a culture shock going to Italy? I assume you have never been to Italy or England.

People travel to nearby European destination because distances/price and age, old people don't like long trips.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
I agree with you as it's also what I'm looking for, but you're mistaken if you think all vacationers are looking for things that are as different as possible. Many are looking for something "just a little different" -- they still want to have the same amenities as they do back home.

Many if not most third world destinations offer the same amenities (or more) than "back home"...and way cheaper too.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Exactly. So try and keep and open mind. I was born and raised in the South. I am not racist. I am not bigoted. I do believe in a swift justice when people break the law but not outside of the law. I am educated. I am a backslide Christian who has an interest in Bhuddism and Hinduism. I believe in civil unions for gay people and don't understand why the insistence on the word "marriage" as the intent is to provide them with civil recognition in civil matters.

And, yeah, I have French neices and nephews who were shocked, shocked, I tell you, that we had Appalachicola oysters that were as good as the ones they ate on their native soil of Noirmoutier.After 15 years, they still talk about them.

Annie

Your post implies that Europeans are "liberals", a view much in fashion in some American media....but Europeans are not liberal at all..

American media grants a lot of importance to gay marriage and religion, but such things are not considered important by many. There's a religious right, but most conservative are not religious...

For example, the European equivalents of Fox viewers don't equate tolerance for gay wedding, etc, with being liberal.

Old 03-23-2013, 12:58 PM

190 posts, read 706,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
There may not be anything that you know of that attracts you to the American south, owenc - and there may never be. I don't know what attracts you to places.

That being said, the American south is NOT "full of cities and nutter cowboys shooting guns." In fact, much of the south is rural, and most southern cities are much more "laid back" in tempo than cities in other regions - even the huge metro areas like Houston and New Orleans have a casual vibe to them.

But your misconceptions are interesting, so thanks for the input. This is part of what I wanted to know - WHY don't more Europeans come to the South? If it's commonly thought to be full of cowboys and urban sprawl, then that would explain a lot.

That being said, the last time we were in Fort Worth, some Japanese tourists actually asked to take a picture of my husband - apparently they thought he looked quintessentially "cowboy." Which he does!

I think the fact that this Marlboro Man was actually getting his cowboy boots polished (for real) had a lot to do with why they wanted to take the picture! LOL
I would love to visit the south, seems it has an attractive culture, folklore and nature. I have an aunt that was studying in texas and says people is very friendly there. And the cowboys stereotype adds charm to these places in my opnion.
: Ok:

Old 03-23-2013, 04:00 PM

367 posts, read 765,564 times
From my multiple years of living in Europe I can say the thread title is 75% accurate. New England is condensed and full of rapid transit lines like Europe. California seems enchanting and Florida calls out to the sun starved of many European locals. The gangster reputation (their words, not mine) of Chicago is intriguing. The rest of the country is uninteresting and largely spaces between the coastal areas of choice.

A lot of middle class Europeans save all year to travel where it's warm and sunny for 2-4 weeks (usually in August). Florida, Cally and the Cap areas are the natural choices. There are things to do and places to go there that appeal to most Europeans.

I am highly interested in what other Americans with European experience and Europeans who have traveled abroad think.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:07 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,534,875 times
Serious question. Why do the Brits want to visit Raleigh? I've lived in Raleigh for three decades. It's nice enough, but I don't know what would attract a foreign tourist.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:15 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,927,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komodo666 View Post
To rent a car in the US is an adventure for most people in this continent. Distances are atrocious, plus European tourists ain't American drivers....and they have this propensity to end up in some dangerous hood (I believe this is the PC word nowdays).

I agree that the south is nice, for example, the Blue Mountains, NC, Virginia, but tourism is organized around an American "fun for the whole family" perspective. To attract European tourists you would need buses and guides.
Buses? Eh? Like those open air tour buses you see in NYC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivieroma View Post
Rent a car and hit the road is part of the trip.
The only difficulty is to drive a car with an automatic transmission
How in the heck is driving an automatic transmission equipped car difficult? Put the gear shift on P and forget about it. There's no gimmicks to it. I learned to drive on an automatic and been driving a manual for the past 5 years, it's the manual that was difficult to adjust to since you have to learn to push the clutch down and shift gears. There is no clutch on an automatic.

Quote:
Someone from England can easely get a culture shock going to Italy? I assume you have never been to Italy or England.

People travel to nearby European destination because distances/price and age, old people don't like long trips.
I don't think he has. He is from Australia and I think he's only been to the US and a few countries near Oz. I went to Germany and the culture shock wasn't great, but my grandmother was born and raised in Germany so maybe that's why

Old 03-24-2013, 01:39 AM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,117 times
Well I have visited Charleston and Savannah and I loved both, lots to do and see beautiful old plantation style homes. Plenty of history. Great restaurants and the beaches were ok too, very, very hot mid summer, I loved sitting under the cottonwood trees for shade. Love to go again some day.

Old 03-24-2013, 04:25 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:

Maybe less so today, but i'm plenty do. For both being European the cultures are quite different. The reserved British manner, to even thinks like how far apart you stand when you have a conversation. Why, because they're both European they're not different cultures?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe