Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2013, 06:39 PM

257 posts, read 518,557 times

Advertisements

Do Americans really connect freedom with right to have a gun? Because it sounds like a joke to me..

Old 04-27-2013, 06:41 PM

769 posts, read 1,008,362 times
Oh brother, threads like this are just ugly from the start.

I'm an American who has lived on both continents, and both continents offer a plethora of different pluses and minuses (obviously, this varies largely by individual country too). North American and European lifestyles are generally a bit different, this is true. Not to say that one is necessarily better or worse than the other; they're just different. It's all down to personal taste and choice, imho. I hate threads that post people's own opinions as if they were facts. Some people prefer the North American lifestyle, and some people prefer the European lifestyle. It's simply down to that. There's no need to rip each other's throats out. It's not that big of a deal. No matter which lifestyle you prefer, both offer superb qualities of life.

Some people get too hung up on threads like this one me thinks...

Old 04-27-2013, 06:42 PM

825 posts, read 1,035,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiri View Post
Do Americans really connect freedom with right to have a gun? Because it sounds like a joke to me..
We do. I do like the idea of being able to defend my home with a weapon. The US can be a pretty crazy place.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:44 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,248,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You would be wrong. In order to go to Cuba, you have to sneak around and fly out of Mexico or Canada. Unless you're part of an official tour group that doesn't allow you to spend money there. Americans don't have the right to choose euthanasia, with the possible exception of one or two states that may have recently introduced that controversial right. Americans can't patronize prostitutes legally, except in Nevada. Women aren't allowed to work as prostitutes, except in Nevada. (Did you really think prostitution was legal in the US?!) Americans are allowed to carry guns, and in some states are allowed to shoot each other dead, legally, under certain circumstances. Yay! Let's hear if for American "freedom"! flag-wave, flag-wave
Exactly. By the way, private gun possession is not completely banned in European countries (as some Americans seem to think), it's just more strictly regulated. That is the way the overwhelming majority of people here want it to be. American gun politics is not something that is envied or admired at all.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:50 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,527,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiri View Post
Yes, it may seem crazy from an outsider but its just part of our culture.

Old 04-27-2013, 06:57 PM

825 posts, read 1,035,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
Back under your bridge now. There's a good troll!
This is a benefit! It's not easy being an atheist in many parts of 'murica.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:04 PM

257 posts, read 518,557 times
I am not an atheist. I believe there is "something" above us. But I do not need to specify that. I mean I am baptized but I do not care about Vatican. If somebody is an atheist, I am OK with that. Being a Christian does not make you a better person.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:04 PM

1,395 posts, read 2,528,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dba07 View Post
This is a benefit! It's not easy being an atheist in many parts of 'murica.
I couldn't agree more.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:14 PM

13,006 posts, read 18,935,259 times
Many Americans LOVE their guns. The idea they could not walk around Europe with a pistol in the holster is foreign to them. Other reasons: politicians don't get easy votes promising to shrink the government, medical service is a right instead of a privilege, and stores are not open all night. Infrastructure not designed to favor private vehicles means you might have to walk even further from your parking space than at a big box store. And smoking is allowed everywhere.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:20 PM

102,240 posts, read 108,130,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Yes, it may seem crazy from an outsider but its just part of our culture.
Speak for yourself, it's not part of my culture! The majority of Americans aren't interested in owning guns, and don't equate freedom with gun ownership. It's a vocal minority that makes noise about the freedom to own guns. Being allowed to own a registered hunting rifle is a different matter, as it is in Europe, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe