Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2013, 05:07 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,955,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
Believe it or not, the UK is still different culture and lifestyle than U.S./Canada. The UK is not exactly like mainland EU, but it has still much more in common with rest of EU than it does with U.S./Canada despite having few same stores.

The UK is very old, while USA and Canada are only few centuries old. Everything is still smaller in the UK, and they drive on the left. Small parts of New England may be similar to the UK, but so could it be to rest of Europe though.
I dont think we have much in common with europe at all. I could immigrate to the usa and settle in far easier than europe. I mean places like spain and italy are totally totally different.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:01 PM

796 posts, read 1,166,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
I dont think we have much in common with europe at all. I could immigrate to the usa and settle in far easier than europe. I mean places like spain and italy are totally totally different.
What does UK have in common with USA besides language?

Old 05-06-2013, 11:46 PM

102,384 posts, read 108,693,909 times
Quote:
Certain TV programming.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:55 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,355,777 times
Quote:
* Everything is smaller (houses/apartments, roads, food portions, buildings, stores, etc.)
* High unemployment rate (Esp. in Eastern and Southern Europe)
* High youth unemployment rate in Western and Northern Europe
* Very high taxes
* Basically everything is more expensive
* Confusing road system and signs
* Less demographic diversity (but too high Islamic immigration)
* Less freedom
* Lack of skyscrapers in most cities
* No real and true suburban area like in the U.S./Canada
* Close to the Middle East (generally bad region)
* Less climate and landscape diversity (No tropical or desert climate in mainland Europe, and most of Europe have much less sunshine than most of U.S. and even Canada)
* Too many national languages
* Way less shopping stores and shopping opportunity (No wonder why Europeans go crazy when shopping in America)
* Big houses (McMansions) are rare
* Having own individual car is relatively uncommon - bs
* Central Air and Heat is rare and something luxury - unnecessary to have aircon, heat is in every house.
* Everything is too old

Feel free to add
I take it you've never been to Europe.
I live here, your list is ridiculous.

Riddle me this: Why do so many military want to stay in Europe forever if it's so bad.

Oh forget it, this is simply a troll thread.

How about, it's a heck of a lot safer than practically anywhere in the US.

Quote:
* No chain restaurants like Cheesecake Factory, Olive Gardens, Friday's, etc. (besides American fast food chains like McDonald's and Burger King).
A big plus.
Who needs that crap.
Sounds like you need to stay in the US.
Europe doesn't need/want your ilk.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
Actually Europe does have TJ Maxx stores, it is just called TK Maxx there.

T.J. Maxx - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyways Europe has pretty much all of the same retail options as the US, the only real difference is that because of taxes they tend to cost more there.
They call it T.K. Maxx.

As far as taxes, the cost of tax is included in the item.
In the US, if the state taxes clothing, it's in addition to the price.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:33 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,955,051 times
Quote:
Food and television aswell as lifestyle.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:46 AM

286 posts, read 332,968 times
Someone defended Chain restaurants? Hilarious

Old 05-07-2013, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Ditto, thirteen years. But I've never missed anything about the U.S....no foods or products, etc., and I never think about the U.S. except as news. I've lived in a great small town, a medium size city and one of the biggest American metropolitan area. I guess I must have "had it all," there in my own way, as I made a totally painless transition to living in Europe.

Zero desire to go back. Went back for a five-week visit once, and was sooooooooo happy to get back home to Europe.
I was looking for borax once and needed it, so someone sent me some.
I'm moving back to the US late this year for a short time.
I never acclimate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
Europe is a better place to visit, but worse place to live.
I absolutely disagree.
See, my comment is just as ridiculous as yours.
I live in Europe, have you ever?

Quote:
In the United States the government do not mandate any law regards to give any employees paid/unpaid days off from work, so individual companies decides what to give employees for benefits. This does NOT mean people only get 2 weeks off from work, or get only 12 weeks unpaid maternity leave.

Most people working 9 - 5 jobs, or outside of retail sector gets anywhere from 3 - 6 weeks paid vacation + national holidays. I myself get 4 weeks off + 10 paid holidays. My brother gets 6 weeks off + 12 holidays after working in the company for 5 years. Nobody in EU gets that much as my brother. My sister works at a bank and get 4 weeks off + 10 paid holidays + 10 sick days.

In Sweden there is no minimum wage, does that mean people get payed only 50 SEK an hour? No.
False again.

Americans receive less vacation time in 2012 - Nov. 16, 2012
Not only did American workers receive fewer vacation days from their bosses this year, but they also took less of them off.
U.S. workers received an average of 12 vacation days in 2012, down from 14 in 2011, according to an annual survey of almost 8,700 people from 22 countries commissioned by Expedia. And, of those vacation days, they only took 10 of them off.
<snip>
The only region working longer and harder than America was Asia.

Paid Parental Leave: U.S. vs. The World (INFOGRAPHIC)
New parents in the U.S. are guaranteed their jobs for 12 weeks after the arrival of a new baby, thanks to the Family Medical Leave Act of 1993, but they do not have to be paid during that time and exemptions apply for small companies. Only about 16 percent of employers offer fully paid maternity leave and many families take on significant debt or turn to public assistance around the birth of a child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Many Americans LOVE their guns. The idea they could not walk around Europe with a pistol in the holster is foreign to them. Other reasons: politicians don't get easy votes promising to shrink the government, medical service is a right instead of a privilege, and stores are not open all night. Infrastructure not designed to favor private vehicles means you might have to walk even further from your parking space than at a big box store. And smoking is allowed everywhere.
Smoking is allowed everywhere?
And where is this? Certainly not Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Where I live in Europe watching movies seems to be almost exclusively a family-at-home activity. When people (including young people) go out with their friends it is to places where they can talk to each other and interact, e.g. cafes, bars, walking through town, dancing.

I cannot honestly remember the last time I heard anyone say that they went out to films with friends, or even invited friends over to watch a film in their home.
I have friends who have a regular movie night out.
Then they go for drinks.
But watching in their houses, only for sports.

Last edited by chielgirl; 05-07-2013 at 02:54 AM..

Old 05-07-2013, 02:20 AM

13,495 posts, read 18,273,656 times
Originally Posted by pvande55
....Infrastructure not designed to favor private vehicles means you might have to walk even further from your parking space than at a big box store. And smoking is allowed everywhere.

I love that we Americans have been jogging our butts off since the 70's, and we glory in holding marathons...but dammit! we will die with our guns in our hands before we will walk.

Smoking in Europe? In most of Western Europe smoking has to be done outdoors, or in rooms dedicated to smoking. National laws on this vary, but not a huge amount.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:21 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,563,711 times
Quote:
Yes they are. USA is the wealthiest, most powerful and most famous nation in the world.

So Scotland is better than America?
People in 3rd world countries would like to live there, or Europe. But the vast majority of people who live in Europe do NOT want to live in the US. I even know some who are afraid to visit now because of the guns and how the first thing you all worry about when there's yet another mass shooting is whether your guns will be taken away.

As usual you twisted my words as I did not say Scotland was better. However, IMO, Scotland is a better place to live than America. I would never ever move back. I wish I could move all of my family over here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe