Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2013, 01:48 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times

Advertisements

18 m² is already big for student accommodation
I like small apartments, soon one knows every inch of them and how to use the small area available efficiently.
Even now, decades after my student years, I live in a 26 m² apartment, which is enough for me as a single. I would not know what to do with an apartment twice that size or even bigger.
I grew up sharing a secluded fraction (maybe 6 m²) of the combined 20 m² kitchen and dining room with my brother till I was about 15. People like me feel lost and unsafe in big homes with lots of rooms and doors.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:51 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
As for vehicles - that's another reason why this American prefers to continue to live in the US - I love having my own vehicle sitting in my own garage, that I can jump in and drive anywhere I want anytime I want. When we go to Europe, we also rent a car rather than relying in public transportation (but we visit outlying areas more than metro areas - we use public transportation of course in the very large cities).

We're going to the UK in June and we're renting a car there as well. Americans love that sense of freedom and control of one's own destiny. I guess that's one reason why we love our automobiles.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:52 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I go 100 mph on my bike. Backwards. While doing a handstand. You'll see that all the time here in Texas.

Texas: Go big, or go home.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
My point is that, with a much higher density of population, European HOUSING tends to be much more crowded - and smaller - than a lot of American housing. I'm not saying one is better or worse than the other, it's just a general observation.

Like I said earlier, the AVERAGE house size in the US is about 2500 square feet.
Of course. In Germany, modern single-family homes built today have on average around 150 m² (around 1600 sq ft).

Old 05-05-2013, 01:56 PM

286 posts, read 331,732 times
Quote:
As for vehicles - that's another reason why this American prefers to continue to live in the US - I love having my own vehicle sitting in my own garage, that I can jump in and drive anywhere I want anytime I want. When we go to Europe, we also rent a car rather than relying in public transportation (but we visit outlying areas more than metro areas - we use public transportation of course in the very large cities).

We're going to the UK in June and we're renting a car there as well. Americans love that sense of freedom and control of one's own destiny. I guess that's one reason why we love our automobiles.
You own a car in the USA because you have no other choice. The government and car/oil industry made the decision for you. So I'm having a big laugh at your ''sense of freedom and control ones own destiny''.

Freedom is not having to pay car insurance, registration, oil changes, brakes, timing belt, tire rotation, oh and the whole buying gas part. Freedom? Destiny? No, just more American propaganda.

2,866 posts, read 5,243,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
That is another unfounded claim. The difference is not that big, unfortunately:

List of countries by vehicles per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I know, I was just pointing out the contradiction Most people I know do own a car but they only use it for greater distances. Many things are nearby, even in rural areas, so people are more likely to go on foot or by bike. Students are more likely to use public transport for greater distances because it's cheaper (i.e. free). But it's definitely not "rare" by any means to own a car, lol. One of the few legitimate complaints I've read so far is the lack of parking space. It can be hell trying to find a place to park your car, you'll usually have to drive around a couple of times before you can find an available spot and then you'll likely have to pay for it as well, and it's not cheap! I guess that's another reason people prefer to walk/bike/take public transport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Texas: Go big, or go home.
And you best not be "all hat and no cattle" either!

Old 05-05-2013, 01:58 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
^^Nice.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:

Is going off-road allowed in the US? In many countries it is not allowed to leave the road. Thus one is not in control of one's own destiny, but instead bound to the paths offered by existing roads. I would even say that bikers and pedestrians are more free than car drivers. We can go almost anywhere It is more of a time than a freedom issue.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetroof View Post
You own a car in the USA because you have no other choice. The government and car/oil industry made the decision for you. So I'm having a big laugh at your ''sense of freedom and control ones own destiny''.

Freedom is not having to pay car insurance, registration, oil changes, brakes, timing belt, tire rotation, oh and the whole buying gas part. Freedom? Destiny? No, just more American propaganda.
Don't make this a political debate. This thread is about personal preferences. I much prefer owning and using my own vehicle on a regular basis. I prefer living in a small Texas town over living in a congested area that would necessitate using public transportation. I LOVE my vehicle. I enjoy it enough to gladly maintain it and put gas in it.

Besides that - I can more than afford the maintenance, insurance, and the gas - which is about $3.22 a gallon around here.

Next week I am going to load up my two very large dogs into the back of my SUV and drive on great highways about five hours north to help my parents move. They're going to give me some stuff as well, which I can easily fit into my vehicle along with my dogs on the return trip.

I love to refinish furniture and do lots of yard and house projects, so I am constantly using my spacious vehicle to cart things around. I'm glad the seats let down!

I have four grandkids who live one hour from me. It's great to jump in my vehicle whenever I want, drive over there, pick a couple of them up (or all of them) along with their weekend bags, and cart them around to the zoo, the local parks, museums, etc - which are widespread. We may decide to go to the science museum in Shreveport one day and the next day drive over to Fort Worth and maybe even buy a large painting or stock up on Asian foods from the Asian market while we're there.

The more property you own, the more responsibilities you have. It's just a fact of life. I accept that reality in exchange for a lifestyle I enjoy.

It's the kind of freedom I prefer. You're welcome to your own version of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe