Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you choose based on the criteria?
France 50 57.47%
Germany 37 42.53%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 09:33 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,846 times

Advertisements

Went to France and Germany and enjoyed both.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:56 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Don't you realise that not all people in a country are the same? there are arrogant people in every country. Your "arrogancy" stereotypes is the old same rubbish ideas taken from the anti-french british tabloids...
Im afraid this is just about the only 'stereotype' on here that is based in truth! OK I admit I can't speak for certain about other countries but the French stick their noses up towards Britain and the British in just about every way imaginable! I have been to France and the arrogance just oozes from every Frenchman / woman ive met. On the other hand I have found just about every German Ive met to be very pleasant.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:02 AM

126 posts, read 24,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Im afraid this is just about the only 'stereotype' on here that is based in truth! OK I admit I can't speak for certain about other countries but the French stick their noses up towards Britain and the British in just about every way imaginable! I have been to France and the arrogance just oozes from every Frenchman / woman ive met. On the other hand I have found just about every German Ive met to be very pleasant.
So shall you seek so shall you fine, brother.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:26 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
I'm surprised Germany is winning by such a margin.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:07 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,486,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm surprised Germany is winning by such a margin.
https://www.google.com/#safe=off&scl...w=1366&bih=644

https://www.google.com/#gs_rn=15&gs_...w=1366&bih=644

Old 05-31-2013, 05:40 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 6 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,917,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post

Germany’s economy really is overrated based on some measures and France’s economy being underrated. The countries of France and Germany have a similar per capita income: $35,000-$39,000 ranks 17 to 23: List of countries by GDP (PPP) per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Switzerland, Norway, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Austria, Sweden, and Denmark all have a higher average per capita income than Germany. They mostly have more income equality, and lower unemployment rate. Most of these countries, including France, probably have even better job security, and life-work balance than overly competitive Germany.

There is actually conflicting sources of information for unemployment rate in Germany, and France, and depends on exact region. Some website links, sources of information say the unemployment rate is more similar than expected for France, Germany: Unemployment Rates Around The World - shows its in the 8.3% to 8.8% range in both countries.

Northeastern regions Germany, especially in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, has a much higher unemployment rate compared to other areas of Germany, and actually up to 10.7% in this state of Germany: Mecklenburg-Vorpommern - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Either way, this is not reason enough for someone preferring a country just for economy, and its just a small part of the picture.

There is so much more being important, relevant, and valuable in life.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:50 PM

What country would you prefer to visit for a holiday? I select France easily without hesitation for a vacation. However, Germany is nice for visiting too, just preferring France much more.

What country would you prefer to live in?
France for plenty of reasons. However, Germany is also beneficial, and inviting for living in too.

Which urban area in each would you live in?
France: Paris, Lyon, Nice, Marseille, Grenoble, Strasbourg, Lille, Toulouse, Bordeaux, Bayonne, Perpignan, Montpellier.

Germany: Berlin, Hamburg, Leipzig, Dresden, Frankurt, Munich

Which rural area in each would you live in?
France: Chamonix, Cannes, Bonifacio, Piana, Ajaccio, Bastia, Lourdes, Menton, Toulon, and also somewhere in the overseas territories of France, especially in Reunion, New Caledonia, or Tahiti Polynesia.

For regions in mainland France with rural areas: Provence Cote d’Azur, Rhone-Alpes, Corsica, Midi-Pyrenees, Nord-Pas-de-Calais

Germany: Somewhere in Bavaria, especially near the castles.

Which has better quality of life?
France or an equal tie overall.

Which has better natural scenery?
France

Which has better cities?
Depends on what someone finds important for a city. I personally prefer French cities more compared to German cities.

Which has better architecture?
France

Which culture do you prefer?
France overall

Which cuisine do you prefer?
France for traditional cuisine and for having more variety in cosmopolitan ethnic food scene.

France and Germany became very cosmopolitan, embracing for most forms of ethnic diversity, very worldly, including for food scene/cuisine/restaurants/supermarkets, and plenty of activities in life. Some people forget to realize this important information and observation.

Which people do you prefer?
I rank both countries very high for people scene. However, France is in top 5, while Germany is around 21st to 25th place.

What appeals to you about each country the most? What are the main drawbacks of each country?

France:

+ Balanced and impressive variety in regions, scenery, and cities, towns all over the country.

+Culturally wealthy

+Sophistication, Glamour, Minimal to no corruption in most places, easygoing, relaxing, peaceful

+Soulful, Intellectually, Emotionally, Spiritually stimulating, just like for most of my other favorite countries.

+Quality of Life in most areas of France

+The Life-Work balance and work to live. Not overly workaholic.

+Endless entertainment

-+Some people view the country being arrogant, pretentious. I don’t agree with this false stereotype. The people became modest, and humble compared to the past.

-+A few people think the economy is not doing well, but this is also another false stereotype. The economy based on international standards is doing pretty well in France.

- I prefer if there was at least 1 other city with the same population size as Paris. However, there continues to be impressive variety of cities/towns.

Germany:

+ This is also a country to like, appreciate, and respect. Ranks relatively high internationally in modern times, at least in top 15 to top 25.

+ People are usually friendlier than expected.

+One of the best geographic locations near the central of Europe, and close proximity to most of Europe.

+Magical castles in Bavaria.

+More cosmopolitan, and worldly than expected.

+Easy to find Contentment, Stable in Modern times, and mostly very Efficient.

+Nightlife related entertainment, bar scene, music scene is impressive and offering an exciting scene.

-+Not sure how I feel about the language anymore. There is probably some charm in the language and not just the negative false stereotypes. I would even want to learn German for practical use of language and being popular with French, Spanish, Italian, Mandarin Chinese.

-Economy is overrated in Germany and its not really doing quite as well as some people’s false stereotypical views for Germany’s economy. A noticeable amount of European countries have a higher per capita income than Germany, the same or even lower unemployment, more income equality/less of a divide, and not trying to monopolize or cause any damage to European Union’s economy.

-Too much focus on economy to the point of making it sterile/mediocre/boring/too competitive. This is not reason enough to admire a country. Look at Luxembourg, Qatar, Bahrain, Liechtenstein for one example. I am always upper middle class and don’t need to worry or obsess about economy too much.

-Forget the history of Germany. It is better to focus on modern times instead for Germany.

-The weather is kind of mediocre annually in some areas of Germany. Thank goodness weather probably does not really matter to me anymore.

-Not enough coastline and mountainous scenery.

-The Café Bar wifi scene appears disappointing in Germany and not meeting expectations. France, Austria, and maybe Spain, and Italy are better than Germany for this important quality too.

Last edited by ; 05-31-2013 at 06:01 PM..

Old 05-31-2013, 09:41 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanaAbroad View Post
So shall you seek so shall you fine, brother.
Just saying the way it is :-)

Old 06-01-2013, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Just saying the way it is :-)
’s posts and similar posts from plenty of other people is saying the way it is and the truth, and reality with perfectly crafted words of wisdom, accurate specific information, and based on observations, experience.

Definitely not the other way around for the opposite opinions.

People are entitled to their opinions if they are justified, so agree to disagree, and move on, including for France vs. uk, or France vs. Germany. To see a very specific, well organized, and accurate summary for France vs Germany, go to a few posts above this one.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:14 AM

1,222 posts, read 2,278,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Germany’s economy really is overrated based on some measures and France’s economy being underrated. The countries of France and Germany have a similar per capita income: $35,000-$39,000 ranks 17 to 23: List of countries by GDP (PPP) per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Why would you say Germany's economy is overrated? I agree that it is far from being the "best", but it's hard to deny that Germany's economy is still growing, unemployment is falling and wages are rising. Much different compared to the vast majority of Europe.
The other countries you mentioned are comparatively small and some fill in economic niches not feasible for larger countries, so I don't think it's fair to compare them to Germany.

Germany ranks 5th in HDI, which I personally think is a better way to compare countries than GDP per capita. Overall though, I think the differences within Western Europe are rather small, with the exception of some countries.

List of countries by Human Development Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PS: There have been at least 2 France vs. Germany threads on here in the last couple of years...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe