Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 10:42 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,610,204 times

Advertisements

There are programs available through the government in Spain for you to teach english in school, you will be an assistant. My wife usually gets a couple of students in every year for this. Most of them are Americans who want to do a graduate degree in Spanish and have done an extensive 3 month or more study abroad. The program is for one year, includes room and board, pays about $800 euro's a month, includes healthcare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 07:48 PM

64 posts, read 67,051 times
Default question for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
There are programs available through the government in Spain for you to teach english in school, you will be an assistant. My wife usually gets a couple of students in every year for this. Most of them are Americans who want to do a graduate degree in Spanish and have done an extensive 3 month or more study abroad. The program is for one year, includes room and board, pays about $800 euro's a month, includes healthcare.
This is an old thread that I just discovered on here. Got a question for you, kind of a follow up. What is it currently like to teach English over in Spain? I'm considering the economic turmoil. I did travel there a couple of years ago (to Barcelona), and I noticed the poor state of the economy. It was a pretty nice area, right by the ocean and I loved how it began to snow in November. I am actually from Florida so that's a big deal ... anyhow, I may be seriously interested in a bi-directional program where I can bring myself up to business level Spanish. Feel free to throw any connections &/or advice my way

Old 01-07-2014, 03:49 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,537,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingLar View Post
This is an old thread that I just discovered on here. Got a question for you, kind of a follow up. What is it currently like to teach English over in Spain? I'm considering the economic turmoil. I did travel there a couple of years ago (to Barcelona), and I noticed the poor state of the economy. It was a pretty nice area, right by the ocean and I loved how it began to snow in November. I am actually from Florida so that's a big deal ... anyhow, I may be seriously interested in a bi-directional program where I can bring myself up to business level Spanish. Feel free to throw any connections &/or advice my way
Barcelona and Catalunya is actually a richer autonomous area of Spain, and their regional language isn't even Spanish but Catalan. To my knowledge, most of the economic woes are in the South, Andalucía, but it's also the cheapest province. I kept seeing ads for flats renting around 150-200€ a month. If you could find a teacher or class there and save a bit of money before travelling, that would be a good experience I think. Plus you're helping to pay someone(s).

Old 01-07-2014, 05:02 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,488,519 times
If you are native Spain is a good choice because I see too many positions available for native (that's the reason I can't work more hours )

Old 01-07-2014, 11:07 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterss365 View Post
I am thinking about teaching English as a second language in Europe. I have a general idea about the process, but wonder which countries have the most opportunities for a new teacher.
I teach ESL in Asia, and have for many years. I also lived in Europe a couple times, and each time decided NOT to teach ESL in Europe, as the pay is so abysmally low. I lived in Spain (six months), Austria (six months) and Hungary (a summer).

In general, I'd say go to the European country you are most interested in, regardless of opportunity. Basically because there isn't anything 'good' there in regards to salary or opportunity. People teach in Europe because they love such-and-such country, and willing to do whatever it takes to live and experience that particular country.

If you are more into just experiencing ANY foreign country, as long as it has 'the most opportunities', you are better off coming the Asia way, and focus on South Korea, or possibly China. They'd have the most jobs in both the short-term and long-term. South Korea pays better. But both always have a very high demand - i.e. most opportunities.

There is also a forum that us ESL teachers often use abroad: Job Discussion Forums :: Index

Old 01-07-2014, 04:11 PM

15 posts, read 50,465 times
try Ukraine, there´s high demand

Old 01-07-2014, 05:09 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,958,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno_lx View Post
try Ukraine, there´s high demand
How much they pay?

Old 01-08-2014, 06:01 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,933,405 times
Half a bottle of vodka a day.

Old 03-25-2014, 10:58 AM

73 posts, read 151,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
half a bottle of vodka a day.
hahahaha :d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe