Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 05:42 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,881,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Sometimes I get the impression that you're very xenophobic.
I have nothing against immigrants, I think we have far too many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
Compared to Australia, yes you do, and very much so.

Getting back to my original point, historical links and influences are just that. Yes, the most significant cultural influence on Aus has for some time been the US. If you see the US and UK as the same culturally, that's your call, but to me they are different countries albeit with a number of similarities.
What French food to we eat regularly?

We don't have French restaurants or anything like that.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:08 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,265,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
What about the similarities between French and British rural life, the British fascination with French food, the old world sensibilities both countries share, soccer, rugby union, the EU way of doing things.
what are those similarities between french and British rural life that other countries do not share??

I do not feel that British are all fascinated by french food, but if many are it is because french food is very different to British one.

football (Soccer) might be not very popular in Anglo countries outside UK, but it is not specifically "old world". Latin America is as much football-oriented than Europe.

As for the EU way of doing things...
Well British like more than enything else doing thing differently than the rest of the UE. Britain is far ahead the most Eurosceptic of the major European countries: not a surprise they have a different mesure system, drive on different side of the roads, do not have the Euro, are not part of the Schengen agreement "free-border" agreement.

I agree with easthome and Mac15 that the UK share more culturally with Australia than with most of Europe. After them, there are the links that Britain share with other Germanic nations, especially such as Netherlands, Norway, etc. and to a more distance Germany... And much more distance again with France, Spain, Italy, and the rest of Europe...

Old 08-29-2013, 08:11 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,384,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post

I agree with easthome and Mac15 that the UK share more culturally with Australia than with most of Europe. After them, there are the links that Britain share with other Germanic nations, especially such as Netherlands, Norway, etc. and to a more distance Germany... And much more distance again with France, Spain, Italy, and the rest of Europe...
I agree with them too but they have some kind of feeling that we're completely disconnected from Europe despite the similarities as you said with the Germanic countries, they haven't mentioned that in their posts I think.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:00 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
I agree with them too but they have some kind of feeling that we're completely disconnected from Europe despite the similarities as you said with the Germanic countries, they haven't mentioned that in their posts I think.
Hey I never said that Britain is 'completely disconnected to Europe', there is as shared culture with Europe - all I am saying is that Britain is closer culturally to other 'Anglo' nations than it is to Europe.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:06 AM

2,825 posts, read 5,265,333 times
Quote:
Yes, sure. But the US, Australia, Canada are not disconnected either to Europe... The whole Americas are also "European"-derived cultures, and not something completly different. So considering that being closer to US, Canada, Australia, etc. makes un-European is quite strange because what links Uk with other Anglo countries of outside Europe is precisely their Anglo culture, which comes precicely from Europe... and more precisely Britain...

But I've noticed many people (especially Americans it seems), but even some British, tend to equate "European" with "french", as it seem France is often their reference for "Europeaness" (which I find absurd actually). Many things that are labelled as "continental" (supposedly in opposition with "Anglo") are often french things (like cafe culture, red wine drinking, ect), which are often more generally latin-European things in opposition with other germanic cultures with are more similar to "Anglo" one.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:17 PM

79 posts, read 271,480 times
Nah, we don't hate "Europeans" because that term doesn't really mean anything to the average Brit... and we're more than capable of holding distinct opinions about the French, the Germans, the Spanish etc. etc.

Bear in mind we have been living next to (many of) these people for hundreds of years. Just as in life you get to know your neighbours, but rarely "hate" any of them. What you do have is a cynical view, based on practical daily contact with them over a long period, of their personality traits and intentions. It may sometimes be wrong, but more often than not it's right...

Not to mention that MILLIONS of Brits holiday in France and Spain every year, and a good number in Italy and Germany too. So an awful lot of us see these people up close and personal, multiple times.

You know, as a general rule (with a ton of exceptions):

- Germans are rather stern, logical and rule-bound
- Italians are excitable
- Spaniards are in no hurry
- French people are in no mood for a friendly chat

BUT we rub along OK, most of the time. I think I read recently that there are more French young professionals in London now than in Paris. So it can't be all that hateful

Old 08-29-2013, 03:51 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,345,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
I have nothing against immigrants, I think we have far too many.
What?

Old 08-29-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
Yes, sure. But the US, Australia, Canada are not disconnected either to Europe... The whole Americas are also "European"-derived cultures, and not something completly different. So considering that being closer to US, Canada, Australia, etc. makes un-European is quite strange because what links Uk with other Anglo countries of outside Europe is precisely their Anglo culture, which comes precicely from Europe... and more precisely Britain...

But I've noticed many people (especially Americans it seems), but even some British, tend to equate "European" with "french", as it seem France is often their reference for "Europeaness" (which I find absurd actually). Many things that are labelled as "continental" (supposedly in opposition with "Anglo") are often french things (like cafe culture, red wine drinking, ect), which are often more generally latin-European things in opposition with other germanic cultures with are more similar to "Anglo" one.
Yea I noticed that too. I sometimes watch keeping up and kris will say "i'm taking a trip to Europe". That kind of thing really grinds on me because we are our own countries. We are not one country with no culture.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njf63 View Post
Nah, we don't hate "Europeans" because that term doesn't really mean anything to the average Brit... and we're more than capable of holding distinct opinions about the French, the Germans, the Spanish etc. etc.

Bear in mind we have been living next to (many of) these people for hundreds of years. Just as in life you get to know your neighbours, but rarely "hate" any of them. What you do have is a cynical view, based on practical daily contact with them over a long period, of their personality traits and intentions. It may sometimes be wrong, but more often than not it's right...

Not to mention that MILLIONS of Brits holiday in France and Spain every year, and a good number in Italy and Germany too. So an awful lot of us see these people up close and personal, multiple times.

You know, as a general rule (with a ton of exceptions):

- Germans are rather stern, logical and rule-bound
- Italians are excitable
- Spaniards are in no hurry
- French people are in no mood for a friendly chat

BUT we rub along OK, most of the time. I think I read recently that there are more French young professionals in London now than in Paris. So it can't be all that hateful
4 million brits holiday in usa....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe