Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 02:07 PM

15 posts, read 40,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
In Europe and America, few people who know the history and geography. In Russia any child who is learning to 4-5 high school class knows the geography and can map any country in the world and the tables of this country and tell geographic, economic features How about Mexico?
I can not understand - Why are you a map of Europe have imposed on a map of North America? This is that you want to show?
My intention was, to show the dimension of the USA in comparison to Europe. For example, a portugese knows very little about the problems in Poland. So how can a Califonian know everything about Macedonia? This just because a lot of European dont´t understand, that some US-Citizens have no idea about Europe. I´m a European but I understand also that we cannot expect by the Americans, that they know everything about our tiny little countries.
You are right, that in Europe, in Russia a well a in Germany, we might learn more about all the countries of the world. I think the Europeans simply are more outside oriented.
Back to Mexico. In Fact, Mexico is not really poor. I know statistiks, that show, that Mexico is one of the biggest economic states:
(Rank 16 in 2006, but declining http://http://www.mexiko.mx/landesin...on/wirtschaft/, Sorry, in German).
But about 99.8% of the Money in Mexico owns 0.5% of their Citizens.
Seems to me one of the biggest problems of Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 10:24 PM

3,102 posts, read 5,618,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecorian View Post
My intention was, to show the dimension of the USA in comparison to Europe. For example, a portugese knows very little about the problems in Poland. So how can a Califonian know everything about Macedonia? This just because a lot of European dont´t understand, that some US-Citizens have no idea about Europe. I´m a European but I understand also that we cannot expect by the Americans, that they know everything about our tiny little countries.
You are right, that in Europe, in Russia a well a in Germany, we might learn more about all the countries of the world. I think the Europeans simply are more outside oriented.
Back to Mexico. In Fact, Mexico is not really poor. I know statistiks, that show, that Mexico is one of the biggest economic states:
(Rank 16 in 2006, but declining http://http://www.mexiko.mx/landesin...on/wirtschaft/, Sorry, in German).
But about 99.8% of the Money in Mexico owns 0.5% of their Citizens.
Seems to me one of the biggest problems of Mexico.
I understand that you have shown that America is due to the fact that it is such a big , most people in it know so little about the smaller European countries? This is not an excuse! Russia 2 times more than the United States and it does not stop people know the geography . Case in Education. European and Western education highly specialized . School education is very poor. For example, the fact that we are studying children in the 9th grade math in the United States is considered to be of higher mathematics. (There are friends who studied in the U.S.)As for the Mexican economy - oil and gas industry is the leading sector of the Mexican economy and the most important factor in the political struggle. Previously, as I know it is all owned by foreign companies , but the process is allowed to monopolize the government to lift the economy of Mexico and leave the money in the country. Mexico oil production is the third largest in the Western Hemisphere. But in recent years for Mexico to look for new sources of revenue , as oil and gas reserves are depleted . I think for Mexico ( and for the whole world) to increase the share of alternative renewable energy sources.For me, the Mexican culture is almost the same as the Spanish ( the perception ) . Although the way it is , a little transformation thanks to the Indians. who brought in the culture of the new image. I like the name of the country . I know that it comes from the supreme god of the Aztecs - Meksitli . This is similar to how Canada got its name. Canada is translated as an village .
You are Mexican or European? How well the Mexican education?How about you? You know about European countries? About Russia I did not ask, because I think that you do not know (about our regions and their capitals). although I could be wrong.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:04 AM

Hi again GreyKarast,
I´m an European, exactly German.
I think I know (Western) Europe quite well but even in Germany we don´t learn anything about Russia in School.
You cannot really expect form an US-Guy to know much from your country - the US are simply interested in other things.
A I mentioned before, I have never been to Mexico itself.
I was in the vincinity, that means USA (of course), Belize, Guatemala and Honduras.
Thats because I´m very intrested in the old Maya-culture.
I agree that the school system in the USA differs from Europe, but I think I have to defend the US-Citizens a little bit in this case - therefore my statement before.
I know quite a lot of Mexican an US-People and their overall education (those who work and live in Europe) is the same like European.
You have to consider that the US has defenitly the some of best Universitys of the world.
It is not an accident that the most of the nobel prices are going to the USA.

In my opinion the Mexican culture differs heavily from the "old" European-Spanish Culture.
The mexican thinking for example about traditional behavours, treating women, enviromental protection might be just the same like in other - äh - the german expression is "schwellenländer", which means not the 1st world but also not the 3rd world - something in between on the road to a industry nation...
This should be no judgement about the mexicans - they are overall as good or bad like Russians, Germans or US.
I have heard and read that the education in the landslide is very poor.
So many young Mexicans have to work from the age of 8 or 10 on to support their familiys.
The income of this young is less than $50/month.
The unemployment rate is in some areas more than 75% (!!).
No wonder that millions of them are looking for their personal luck in the US.

We have in Germany nearly the same problems.
Many people from Romania, Ukraine, Belarus or even Russia try to get work in Germany.
The most of them are very poor and low-educated, too.

So, you will find in every society and in every country low-educated people - but, there is no reason to judge a whole country because you know only a few of them and they cant be the measurement.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Hi again GreyKarast,
I think I know (Western) Europe quite well but even in Germany we don´t learn anything about Russia in School.
You cannot really expect form an US-Guy to know much from your country - the US are simply interested in other things.
I was in the vincinity, that means USA (of course), Belize, Guatemala and Honduras.
I agree that the school system in the USA differs from Europe, but I think I have to defend the US-Citizens a little bit in this case - therefore my statement before.
I know quite a lot of Mexican an US-People and their overall education (those who work and live in Europe) is the same like European.
You have to consider that the US has defenitly the some of best Universitys of the world.

In my opinion the Mexican culture differs heavily from the "old" European-Spanish Culture.
The mexican thinking for example about traditional behavours, treating women, enviromental protection might be just the same like in other - äh - the german expression is "schwellenländer", which means not the 1st world but also not the 3rd world - something in between on the road to a industry nation...
This should be no judgement about the mexicans - they are overall as good or bad like Russians, Germans or US.
So many young Mexicans have to work from the age of 8 or 10 on to support their familiys.

Many people from Romania, Ukraine, Belarus or even Russia try to get work in Germany.

So, you will find in every society and in every country low-educated people - but, there is no reason to judge a whole country because you know only a few of them and they cant be the measurement.
Hi! Yes, American universities are good! But who told you that they are the best ?Western experts are statistics.(They measured the Western experts that are not objective .)Yes you are right fools everywhere. However, the percentage of each different country. Even educated people are often stupid in the Western world, because they think narrowly and do not have any information other than the one that brings them money.
As for the Nobel Prize is also biased association .Obama is an example. The man who unleashes a war across the world for the sake of money is get nobel award. Gorbachev, for the fact that the Soviet Union broke up. So the Nobel Peace Prize this stuff and it does not matter, since it is the same corruption.(EUROPE is subject to the U.S., so a big impact on this award.)
Of course as the U.S. is trying to control the whole world , that would not slide into a garbage pit , all European countries and committees make concessions to the U.S. . Examples - Olympics that were false. What European , Western universities that are highly specialized .
Even Yale has a limited knowledge of the subjects (surface in many subjects ) . Better call them only on their impact on the Catholic Church and wealth(Funds have funding from the Catholic Church). As for the knowledge yield the same SPB or MSU,Are better. You are right American education better part of the European , but the systems are almost identical. Experts are good, but very narrow profile .
Russian ( Soviet education is the best in the world) . What we call the doctor in the Russian - in the western and European system has no analogues . Russian Graduate School is re - your doctor .
I think a lot depends on the mentality , so the German education a step above the other European . Why , when I was in high school, knew the history of Germany, France , America and other countries, their geographical location and social and political regime , I from grade 9 average school . But Europe and America in particular has a lot of ignorant people? It's a shame for education. I am surprised many people in the world who do not know , not only about the world, but also about the history of their country and its geography. The less a person knows it is easier to manipulate and control . Such people are easily subject to propaganda .
In Mexico, even schooling is education Pay, you can learn if you have money or you have received a scholarship , it has great disadvantages. Since people who are smart and eager to learn , but do not have the opportunity to study because of the lack of money . This is sad . I have a Mexican girl , I respect people of all nations. I can not love or hate a person on the basis of skin color or nation. There are always good and bad people .With regard to Germany , the Germans are conscientious , smart and punctual is a lot of respect for them from me, they are just as good at fighting. Geography in Germany is a compulsory subject , am I right ? But, remember a case when the German Chancellor was unable to map their own country on the world map ?

Old 09-10-2013, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Hi again GreyKarast,

As for the stupid Russian, Ukrainians and Belarusians who are looking for a job in Germany. All this is just the people who are not in school or negligently studied. They fled to a better life, because they have been derelict in Russian society. Why do I say that? The German government took Russian and CIS citizens. However, provided that they have their formation and 30-35 years. This is because Germany does not want to pay for the education of and does not want what they were a burden. My fellow student at the University of lives in Germany and works at his trade. He easily became a citizen of Germany and a high-paying job with the Russian education. So do not be surprised, you are going to or fools or smart people.
Yes, it's natural that Mexico is different from Europe. Greatly influenced by the Indians and other Europeans. This is the new culture. As for 1,2,3-world, the term is not well marked. Do you know where it came from and who were the first world and third world? If not, then I will explain. The term "Third World" appeared during the Cold War. World was divided into first (America, Europe, Japan, etc.), Second (Russia, Eastern Europe, China, etc.) and third (countries not participating in the conflict). But, today, has a different meaning. But, the fact is that sometimes the countries that belong to the three world GDP have more than a second...

Old 09-10-2013, 04:57 AM

Good statements GrayKarast.
For the universities:
I wrote the USA have some of the best, not the best at all.
And yes, most people have to pay at those universities.
Here in Germany it is mainly for free, but our universities have far less money for the research - bad for a Nobel Prize.

Your personal examples are very good to see the different views of (our) countries.
While Gorbachev is blamed at home by nearly all Russians for the broken Sovjet Union,
he is in Germany a true hero, who reunited Germany and stopped the Cold War - whose right? Both...!
While you (personally) look at Obama as a money warrior, most of the Germans (so do I) have the feeling,
he is the right one for the USA, because there are small changes with big positive influence for the future of the USA.
Again I have the feeling, we are both right...

I don´t agree, that the USA wants to control the world.
They are mainly frustrated, because nothing happens in the security council of the UN - so they will go their own way.
Do I understand this? - yes. Is it right? - no.
By the way, I strongly appriciate the idea of the russian foreign minister Sergej Lawrow.
Its always better to talk 100 days about peace than shot one minute for peace...

You are definitley right about the lack of teaching about geographical, social and political themes of other countries in the USA. That might be better in Russia (I don´t know) or in Europe. But all interested US learn those things by their own. Most US I met in Europe know those things very well.
But you should be honest to yourself.
Does a Russian lets say from Jakutsk really care about the German Traffic Minister?
Does he really know, what the capital of Montana is?
Therefore, is this Russian Guy ignorant?
No, he has simply other personal themes.

I do understand very well your intence between your sentences - but thats not necessary at all!
Russia is one of the greatest countrys of the world with a incredible landscape and history and smart + brave women and men. Some things are better in your country, some maybe not...
But, when we are looking for a better world for all of our children,
we should not list the differences but the things in common to each other.

So we are far away about the topic Mexico.
Try to turn around:
The best things we can do for Mexico are:
To give all the children proper education for the future.
Stop the children labour.
Give all of them perspectives to live like human beings.

These are always the same key and will work in every country to prevend voilence and poverty.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:39 AM

I think you're right ! Of course there is in the world a lot of smart people , including Americans. Even on this forum a lot of smart people , but I think it is more than 30 years. I'm talking about young people(very little). As for Yakutia, Russia Education across the same (the same throughout the country and has the exact same program). Language is the same and also has almost no accent . If we talk about the villages which are in great distance from civilization, you're right . Waugh, all other cases, not at all. As for world domination , then this is another topic where I can prove my point .United States of all, try and try to achieve world domination today, but they always interfere with Russia (former USSR). At one point they made, made vses world depend on dollars. But , I respect yours. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Sorry, Let's go back to Mexico.The first thing to do education (school ) free of charge. That every child had the opportunity to learn. To do this, schools should be financed from the state budget. Thus, the rise intellectual component society of Mexico. This means that the rise in the standard of living of the people. At least they can choose their own path . Mexico is in good climatic conditions for the establishment of production of various equipment that the prince pi is today.Mexico has a free market economy , which is a mixture of modern and outmoded industry and agriculture , the economy has become increasingly important private sector.Private consumption was the main driver of growth , supplemented by employment growth and wages. Mexico still needs to solve many of the structural problems as it tries to modernize its economy and raise living standards.Mexico in 2000 prepared a free trade agreement with the EU , Israel, El Salvador, Honduras and Guatemala , as well as entered into additional trade agreements with Latin America and Asia to reduce the country's dependence on the United States. It is very good .However , income and expenses are not distributed evenly. Income is less than expenses. But , what would it decide to change the legislation , it is natural. It is a complex problem . In Russia in the 90 's it was just a lot of problems . Summary CORUPTION and intervention advisers from the United States . Which almost destroyed the entire industry in Russia .The biggest victory for the United States, that they managed to drag Russia into an economic fraud, and to be dependent on the dollar. They tried to do it more than 50 years. Gorbachev and Yeltsin helped. To do this, Russia must get rid of this dependence and the ruble to strengthen Mexico's peso.

Last edited by GreyKarast; 09-10-2013 at 06:02 AM..

Old 10-10-2013, 10:56 AM

2 posts, read 3,101 times
I would very much like to visit Mexico in the near future. Hopefully it will be the first of many trips to the country.

For my first visit, I would like to go to:
Mexico City, Puebla, Oaxaca, San Cristobal de las Casas, Palenque, Campeche, Merida, Chichen Itza, Valladolid, Cancun, Playa del Carmen and Tulum. I'll get buses from place to place and stay in hostels.

I don't know very much about Mexico, but I am keen to learn the history of the place and to see the Mayan ruins. I've read all about the problems with the drug cartels and the like, but I appreciate that the violence is concentrated along the US border.

The Foreign Office here in the UK only recommend that Ciudad Juarez be avoided. They mention other areas and states, but stop short of telling us to avoid entire states.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:47 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anondragon View Post
Western European having lived in Los Angeles so I think I'm well placed to comment if you know what I mean (or ever been to California)

What I've noticed first and foremost is that Mexicans in the USA are extremely different than Mexicans themselves. Unfortunately it seems alot of the Mexicans streaming into the USA are the lowest strata of Mexican society, the kind of people who literally would run across the border leaving all their belongings to live in the USA.

So my initial impression was not very good. Often not speaking English, not extremely smart, often very religious, etc. However I noticed their work dedication (low skilled work but work nonetheless) and their modesty/humility which impressed me.

On the other end of the spectrum I met some Mexicans from Mexico...Which to be honest impressed me alot. I was suprised in my biases...To see extremely high IQ mexicans, doctors, lawyers, and completely 1st world mentality level...Fashionable, good looking, intelligent, hard working...

I know my post reeks of bias...But truth be told that were my impression of a people I had never seen before (in Europe we RARELY get in contact with Mexicans).

Overall I have to add: The overall impression of the Mexicans to me is positive. However the deep feeling is that it is still a nation that has deep troubles, and maybe I only saw the good side of it.
As an American living in Texas, this is pretty much my impression as well. Believe it or not, this close to the border, I've never been to Mexico and really have no desire to go, which considering my love for travel and different cultures seems odd. But I can get enough of a taste of Mexico (literally and figuratively!) in San Antonio, in my mind, without having to worry about the violence, the cartels, etc. Maybe I am paranoid because my next door neighbors are from Mexico and her grandfather was actually kidnapped and held for ransom by a Mexican cartel. Her family is a family of professionals, like you described pretty well, and when I saw how they were treated (they actually paid the ransom and her grandfather was released - just...wow...), it really turned me off toward ever visiting Mexico.

I really do hope that Mexico's infrastructure and politics is eventually "fixed" or greatly improved, because I really do like the vast majority of Mexicans I've met. I enjoy working with them. I love the family values and strong work ethic that so many of them embrace. And the food is terrific!

Old 10-11-2013, 10:09 AM

104 posts, read 264,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
I think it's a very poor country with alot of problems that I would not want to live next door to.

They were there BEFORE YOU.. and don't forget annexed Mexican territory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe