Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 05:42 AM

31 posts, read 59,236 times

Advertisements

Hi guys...I am wondering if Moscow is a good city to live in if you only speak English as foreign language. Do people communicate in english there as well or is it a necessity to learn Russian as fast as possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 06:05 AM

61,729 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Here you will find some answers:
Latest Issue - Moscow Expat Life : Moscow Expat Life
American Expat Living in Moscow, Russia - Meet Polly

and more here:
moscow life for expats - Google Search

Old 02-24-2014, 09:56 AM

26,790 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swissdude View Post
Hi guys...I am wondering if Moscow is a good city to live in if you only speak English as foreign language. Do people communicate in english there as well or is it a necessity to learn Russian as fast as possible?
Once you'll get in the Moscow subway and find yourself carried by the crowd in unknown direction, with no English sign in site, you'll know why you need to learn Russian fast))))

Old 02-24-2014, 02:43 PM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
You need to learn some Russian because English speakers there are rare. The subway system is great to get around. Keep in mind Moscow is expensive, my admittedly plush apartment was $8500 usd/mo. but my company paid it. You can learn to conserve cost but knowing Russian would help.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:24 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Very good points Tall Traveler makes. Housing is unaffordable to the average mortal, and hard to find. Will the people you'll be teaching for provide you with an apartment? Any reason you chose Moscow over St. Petersburg, or anywhere else?

Russian is tremendously helpful. Not only for managing on a day-to-day basis, but knowledge of the language opens doors and helps you make friends and take part in fascinating conversations. It opens a whole world to you that you wouldn't otherwise have access to. It makes a big difference to the quality of one's experience.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Very good points Tall Traveler makes. Housing is unaffordable to the average mortal, and hard to find. Will the people you'll be teaching for provide you with an apartment? Any reason you chose Moscow over St. Petersburg, or anywhere else?

Russian is tremendously helpful. Not only for managing on a day-to-day basis, but knowledge of the language opens doors and helps you make friends and take part in fascinating conversations. It opens a whole world to you that you wouldn't otherwise have access to. It makes a big difference to the quality of one's experience.
I hear St. Petersburg is not as Russian as Moscow is. I initially had the choice between Cape town, Tel Aviv, Tokyo, Mexico City and Moscow. I was torn or still am between Tokyo and Russia, but as long as you are in your 20s I guess Moscow is more attractive.....

Old 02-24-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I hear St. Petersburg is not as Russian as Moscow is. I initially had the choice between Cape town, Tel Aviv, Tokyo, Mexico City and Moscow. I was torn or still am between Tokyo and Russia, but as long as you are in your 20s I guess Moscow is more attractive.....
Housing is a huge issue in both Tokyo and Moscow. Again, will you be provided an apartment?

If I had to choose between the two, I'd take Moscow. Russians are a much warmer people than the Japanese, when you get to know them. And if you can get an apartment, it will be more spacious than a Tokyo studio apartment, I can pretty well guarantee you.

I don't know what that means, "St. Pete's isn't as Russian as Moscow". But, whatever. Seems like you've already decided. But by all means, learn Russian. Do whatever you have to do to learn Russian. You'll be very glad you did.

And be sure to visit St. Pete's when you get a holiday.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Housing is a huge issue in both Tokyo and Moscow. Again, will you be provided an apartment?

If I had to choose between the two, I'd take Moscow. Russians are a much warmer people than the Japanese, when you get to know them. And if you can get an apartment, it will be more spacious than a Tokyo studio apartment, I can pretty well guarantee you.

I don't know what that means, "St. Pete's isn't as Russian as Moscow". But, whatever. Seems like you've already decided. But by all means, learn Russian. Do whatever you have to do to learn Russian. You'll be very glad you did.

And be sure to visit St. Pete's when you get a holiday.
They say that St. Petersburg does everything to come across as European as possible. That's why I probably prefer authentic russian Moscow

Old 02-25-2014, 01:19 AM

26,790 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
They say that St. Petersburg does everything to come across as European as possible. That's why I probably prefer authentic russian Moscow
You will not find too much "authenticity" any longer in Moscow; the old part of it has been mostly destroyed within the last twenty years. Whatever is left there is not all that different from St. Petersburg, except for St. Petersburg ( that has been built later in history) is still well-preserved.
Moscow, however, is bigger of course, more hectic, more international and there is more social life there than in St. Petersburg ( from what I've heard lately.)
So actually, do not exclude St. Pet from your list; it's more quite and more "manageable" if I can say so.

It's more beautiful city as well.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
You will not find too much "authenticity" any longer in Moscow; the old part of it has been mostly destroyed within the last twenty years. Whatever is left there is not all that different from St. Petersburg, except for St. Petersburg ( that has been built later in history) is still well-preserved.
Moscow, however, is bigger of course, more hectic, more international and there is more social life there than in St. Petersburg ( from what I've heard lately.)
So actually, do not exclude St. Pet from your list; it's more quite and more "manageable" if I can say so.

It's more beautiful city as well.
This is exactly what I think, as well. All of it. Well said. The pace of life in St. Pete's is more pleasant, and visually it's much more attractive.

But suit yourself, OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe