Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 05:28 PM

26,848 posts, read 22,679,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post
I have not been to Estonia, but I know that their language is entirely different from Latvian and Lithuanian, and more close to Finnish, why they are grouped together I don't know. Estonia is not really Baltic and many Estonians feels rather Nordic I heard.
Not only that, they always reminded me of Finns more than anyone else, Soviet Union or not ( actually they were part of the Russian Empire even earlier.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 06:24 PM

990 posts, read 1,947,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Not only that, they always reminded me of Finns more than anyone else, Soviet Union or not ( actually they were part of the Russian Empire even earlier.)
And before that, Estonia was part of Denmark and Sweden for a very long time.

Old 11-17-2013, 07:14 PM

26,848 posts, read 22,679,152 times
Quote:
And before that, Estonia was part of Denmark and Sweden for a very long time.
But Latvians historically were under German dominance and Lithuania....under Polish?
So that would explain a thing or two why they all feel different, although for the majority of outsiders they are mostly clamped together as just "Baltic countries."

Old 11-17-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
But Latvians historically were under German dominance and Lithuania....under Polish?
So that would explain a thing or two why they all feel different, although for the majority of outsiders they are mostly clamped together as just "Baltic countries."
The reason why Latvia and Lithuania is Baltic is cause they speak the Baltic languages, and are they are the only countries who does that. That leave Estonia out as an Uralic country. Just like Finland is left out among the Nordic countries since that also is a (mostly) Uralic country.

But I believe that Estonia is ultimatly is more like Finland, and therefore more like the Nordic countries.

Last edited by Helsingborgaren; 11-17-2013 at 09:52 PM..

Old 11-17-2013, 09:57 PM
pdw pdw started this thread

2,706 posts, read 3,122,957 times
Quote:
The reason why Latvia and Lithuania is Baltic is cause they speak the Baltic languages, and are they are the only countries who does that. That leave Estonia out as an Uralic country. Just like Finland is left out among the Nordic countries since that also is a (mostly) Uralic country.

But I believe that Estonia is ultimatly is more like Finland, and therefore more like the Nordic countries.
Why aren't Estonia and Finland grouped together separately, if they are more alike than Finland is like Scandinavia and Iceland? Wouldn't that make more sense?

Old 11-17-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdw View Post
Why aren't Estonia and Finland grouped together separately, if they are more alike than Finland is like Scandinavia and Iceland? Wouldn't that make more sense?
Maybe. But I think Finland has an even stronger Scandinavian influence, like the Swedish-speaking minority of around 300,000 people. For example Swedish-speaking Ostrobothnia and the Ă…land Islands, are they not Nordic?

If Finland was in central or southern Europe, it would probably not be a Nordic country. But it happens to be squeezed in between Sweden, Norway and Russia, and during the Cold War they had to make a choice between Scandinavia and the Eastern Bloc, and they joined the Nordic Council and has since that been associated with Scandinavia, and as far as I know the Finns does not have anything against being Nordic.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:37 PM
pdw pdw started this thread

2,706 posts, read 3,122,957 times
I wish more governments were like Finland's with regards to accepting bilingualism and multiculturalism. Not every place has to be a nation-state.

Certainly if Finnish nationals embrace the Nordic title, I understand better why they are considered such.

I'm wondering if some feel that it waters down their own country's identity, however.

A large percentage of Finns trace their family history to what is now part of Russia.

Could Finland be Eastern European and Northern European simultaneously?

Old 11-18-2013, 02:23 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,651,856 times
As I said before, a better question is why isn't Estonia considered a Nordic country?

Old 11-18-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
As I said before, a better question is why isn't Estonia considered a Nordic country?
I think it will be considered as being a Nordic country once it joins the Nordic Council, which is the official defenition of being Nordic. They have wanted to join ever since they got their independence.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:40 PM

519 posts, read 1,025,573 times
I don't really think of Finland as a Nordic country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe