Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2017, 12:17 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
You want to blame western media for what I experienced living in Russia? OK go ahead. Maybe its better now I haven't been back in 9 years, but from what I've heard nothing has gotten better since the 2008 crisis. Yes I know a Russian who didn't die because she went to Germany to get operated on. Russians don't have access to good medical care, they get the basic stuff that you find in most 3rd world countries. Can you drink city water in Russia now? I highly doubt that.
Costa Rica's medical care has rated higher than the US's system for years. Americans who end up in emergency care in Russian hospitals (and I'm not talking about Moscow, or even western Russia) credit their care for saving their lives. The facilities may be modest, but the doctors are good, and they have the basic equipment to get the job done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 03:42 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,925,642 times
Quote:
There is no way you are growing tomatoes without a greenhouse in federal way? Or climate change is quite real...

Thank you for the pictures Maksim, that is quite interesting. Better than buying bottled water! One thing I miss about Russia is the convenience and ingenuity of people. Problems can often be solved much more efficiently. That and walking downstairs to the store was sure easier than getting in the car like I have to now
I don't use a green house, I just plant them indoors first to give them about a month head start, other than that they grow fine, of course some years are better than others, and not all types grow well, cherry tomatoes grow the best. The puget sound isn't that different from Portland, especially inland areas such as Kent.

Old 04-05-2017, 05:02 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Tacoma is not dark and cold, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taco...ington#Climate
And I live in Federal Way, about twenty mins away from Tacoma and grow lots of vegetables, including tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, peas, lettuce, onions, garlic, beets, plus many fruit trees such as apples, plums, cherries, pears, figs, mulberry, etc.
You probably know about the arsenic problem in N Tacoma from the old copper smelter then. I lived with my sister off of N 30th not far from Ruston. She grew a lot of stuff in boxes in the back yard and actually did quite well with it. The house had 2 Rainier cherry trees.

Russia has significant environmental issues of this nature in places. I have seen the Ismailova metro yards and it needs a big clean up but no one seems to care.

Old 04-05-2017, 05:32 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times
Quote:
People get very rich just by knowing someone in the government, not by doing anything useful to society. I could go on but I don't need to.
I'm going to add to my critique of this. A big event happened here in Seattle yesterday.

Big Bertha Finally Breaks Through Into the Sunlight

You call Russia corrupt? Okay. Truthfully in ways it is. I agree. Just one thing though. America is just as bad if not worse.

When they were debating this tunnel under downtown Seattle they had 3 choices.

1. Bulldoze the viaduct and just build a highway down the waterfront. About 700 million dollars.

2. Build a cut and cover tunnel. Level the viaduct and dig a trench then cover it with a concrete roof. Build a park and waterfront on top. 1.3 billion?

3. Bore a tunnel. As a matter of fact the LARGEST tunnel ever bored. Tear down the viaduct and build the waterfront park. 3.5 BILLION.

It's obvious what was chosen but WHY it was chosen is not. Do you know why the tunnel option was chosen and Seattle/Wa taxpayers will be paying for generations to come?

The entities that made the decision to go with the tunnel were the Unions, the property owners downtown and the politicians they bribed. Everybody pays the cost, a few get filthy rich. The politicians also wanted the prestige connected with it.

Really DKM, look it all up for yourself. My mother said it was not good to criticize your neighbors house unless your home was immaculate.

The cut and cover tunnel was the best option. The tunnel had the most risk and most cost. Who gives a damn when its not your money being spent though.

I don't know what you're definition of corruption is but this fits mine.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:09 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,857,559 times
I understand your frustration and agree that the unions are a corrupting force. But this is not even the same level as Russia. Its not comparable, you have lawyers here to make sure your business isn't just straight stolen from you. You can't invest in anything in Russia without risk of it being taken away. That's a big reason why their interest rates are so much higher. Being the prime minister's friend there means you have a good chance to be a billionaire due to that relationship. Western civilization does not act like this. It sounds like you lived there too, you have to be fooling yourself to pretend its just as bad here, even in a slum. Have you been way out in the country outside of Moscow? It is like 19th century life with cars and TV. But I digress.

Old 04-05-2017, 11:58 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,588,284 times

Russia has added a digitally altered image of President Vladimir Putin in heavy makeup to its list of banned extremist materials, saying the picture suggests Putin is gay.

The Russian Ministry of Justice last week added the photo to its index of extremist materials ― a list that now includes more than 4,000 images that are illegal to share. The offending image is number 4,071, which the ministry describes a “man resembling the president” whose makeup “hints at the Russian president’s allegedly nonstandard sexual orientation
.”

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_58...0917d3476f919?

Old 04-06-2017, 02:36 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,231,086 times
Quote:
Have you been way out in the country outside of Moscow? It is like 19th century life with cars and TV. But I digress.
You are digress by chance (not specifically), isn't it?

Old 04-06-2017, 06:38 AM

2,216 posts, read 1,021,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post

Russia has added a digitally altered image of President Vladimir Putin in heavy makeup to its list of banned extremist materials, saying the picture suggests Putin is gay.

The Russian Ministry of Justice last week added the photo to its index of extremist materials ― a list that now includes more than 4,000 images that are illegal to share. The offending image is number 4,071, which the ministry describes a “man resembling the president” whose makeup “hints at the Russian president’s allegedly nonstandard sexual orientation
.”

Russia Bans 'Extremist' Image Of Putin In Makeup | The Huffington Post
Do hamsters resent?

Old 04-06-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turist View Post
Do hamsters resent?
Dont worry, Nikita, you can keep your favorite photo of der Fuhrer for time being but remember about the London tea.

Vladimir Putin knelt in Moscow’s Red Square and kissed the tummy of a five-year-old boy.

Struck by the bizarre encounter with the Kremlin chief, Nikita Konkin, the boy in the photo said: 'I wasn't ticklish at all. I felt something good.' At the time it seemed nothing more than a slightly ill-judged publicity stunt.

But months later it would be the catalyst for a bizarre sequence of events that led to exiled former Russian spy Alexander Litvinenko and Putin enemy allegedly signing his death warrant by accusing his nemesis of being a paedophile.

Today ten years on from their awkward encounter in Red Square Nikita looks back on it fondly.

At the time he had been on a day trip with his Kolomensk kindergarten when his grandmother, Valentina, had shoved him to the front of a group of crowded boys and in front of the president.

Valentina said he was so star struck from that kiss, Nikita refused to wash his stomach afterwards.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ke-kitten.html

Old 04-06-2017, 09:22 AM

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/04/0...ws.google.com/

Russian regime declared Jehovahs Witnesses to be extremist. Crazy. Whatever they are extremists they are not. Compared to other denominations, especially Orthodox, Witnesses are the least cult like. 80% or something like that of children raised by Jehovahs witness families do not emulate their parents' religious choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe