Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2017, 07:46 PM

1,303 posts, read 851,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_Grac View Post
Hello! I live in Russia. I am ready to answer all your questions and at the same time to correct my English. Can talk on any topics about Russia, and I think that some of it will be interesting. Ask questions :
I live in chicago and we have quite a few russian people here and Ive had positive experiences with them.I wanted to know what do russian people feel about those who immigrate to USA
Isnt a big russian diaspora in USA useful to russia as a country ? esp when it comes to lobbying and determining foreign policy

Also is there some kind of a pan slavic society of immigrants in USA ? encompassing russian ukranian polish etc
a place where they can put aside their "old country" rivalries and bitterness
russia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 08:23 PM

26,782 posts, read 22,534,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleMerchant View Post
Wow, Russian or not, if I'd be locked into a room with an animal abuser and a crowbar, that crowbar would be covered with that abuser's blood from top to bottom.
I'll take your word for it and I am not even going to watch that video ( I think it was discussed enough on Russian sites before.) However these are Russians as well;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-nOgUAZjbc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3V2l1ShMG7M

Overall the subject of animal's protection is a very touchy in Russia - it stirs a lot of emotions, since the government is not creating the appropriate laws against cruelty towards animals, as much as the society pushes for it.

( This for example was even the public appeal from St. Petersburg to Putin personally, asking to protect the domestic animals from cruelty.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2cPEZkLCX0

( Here people are making a case one after another that the existing laws are not sufficient to stop the cruelty towards animals, that people observe lately.)

So yes, protection of animals from cruelty is a very touchy subject in Russia.

Old 11-18-2017, 08:53 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,437,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
I live in chicago and we have quite a few russian people here and Ive had positive experiences with them.I wanted to know what do russian people feel about those who immigrate to USA
Isnt a big russian diaspora in USA useful to russia as a country ? esp when it comes to lobbying and determining foreign policy

Also is there some kind of a pan slavic society of immigrants in USA ? encompassing russian ukranian polish etc
russia
There's a large diaspora of Russian and Ukrainian people in America. South of Seattle there's a huge community of Western Ukrainians. A lot of them have organizations set up that finance certain nefarious activities directed at Russia. They buy off US politicians by creating PACs which finance election campaigns and the politcians do their bidding. They're in Canada too.

The path America has taken since 2000 has been a strange one. It's not for the good of America or anyone else. It's a destructive path and when it comes to foreign policy towards Russia no good will come of it. Russia has enemies and they're powerful when it comes to money which is how US politics work.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:52 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,799,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
If people really want something they'll get it. I'm not familiar with Finnish food but I know a lot of it is very similar to Russian, pelmini is the one thing I remember eating that was Finnish. What I miss is Belarussian potato dishes. To die for.
Pelmeni is Russian. Most Finns probably don't know what that even is.

Old 11-19-2017, 02:55 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,384,800 times
Pelmeni was originally Udmurt, from Udmurtia.

Old 11-19-2017, 05:46 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,429,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post

russia
I think Pan-Slavism is not really very popular at all in the diaspora. People are more attached to their respective heritages. That being said, there is some interchangeability, by necessity and/or convenience. In certain parts of Philadelphia, there are a lot of both Ukrainians and Russians, but I actually haven't really heard about tensions between the two. Not that there necessarily aren't nowadays, but it's not very prevalent, to my knowledge. Some of my Ukrainian relatives (going back many years) would always talk about going to the Russian supermarkets in Philadelphia for food shopping, and I think they still do, even today (since 2014). In fact, in general, I think they would prefer to patronize Ukrainian places (supermarkets, restaurants) but will go to Russian ones because they are more numerous (plus, some places aren't Russian or Ukrainian per se, but sort of pan-Eastern European).

Old 11-19-2017, 07:34 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,924,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I think Pan-Slavism is not really very popular at all in the diaspora. People are more attached to their respective heritages. That being said, there is some interchangeability, by necessity and/or convenience. In certain parts of Philadelphia, there are a lot of both Ukrainians and Russians, but I actually haven't really heard about tensions between the two. Not that there necessarily aren't nowadays, but it's not very prevalent, to my knowledge. Some of my Ukrainian relatives (going back many years) would always talk about going to the Russian supermarkets in Philadelphia for food shopping, and I think they still do, even today (since 2014). In fact, in general, I think they would prefer to patronize Ukrainian places (supermarkets, restaurants) but will go to Russian ones because they are more numerous (plus, some places aren't Russian or Ukrainian per se, but sort of pan-Eastern European).
all post soviet/communist countries form a one over arching community. There is of course some segregation, for instance each ethnic group tends to go to their specific churches, Ukrainians go to Ukrainian churches and Russians go to Russian churches (but not necessarily). But everyone for the most part shops in the same stores, and I have never seen an actual "Russian" store call it self as such officially, they always put the word "European" some where in there. For instance some local Russian stores are called "Taste of Europe", "Euro Food & Deli", "Marvel Food & Deli". Also there has been a lot of intermarriage between communities and although recently there have been some fights over the recent political turmoil in Ukraine, in the end of the day most people still understand that they are still family and still remain together. However I've heard of instances where in-laws no longer talk to each other because one family is Ukrainian and the other is Russian, and usually it's the Ukrainians who start playing the silent game. But again pretty rare and usually no hard feelings between the communities, unless politics are brought up in conversation.

Old 11-19-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Pelmeni is Russian. Most Finns probably don't know what that even is.
The sausage and potato pelmini I was addicted to was produced in Finland. There was a Finish flag on the package. Maybe the Finns stole it from Russians?

I think the recipe is quite common actually. The other brands, Belorussian and Russian were excellent too but the stuff made in Finland used the golden potatoes which have a better flavor. IMO.

Old 11-19-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
all post soviet/communist countries form a one over arching community. There is of course some segregation, for instance each ethnic group tends to go to their specific churches, Ukrainians go to Ukrainian churches and Russians go to Russian churches (but not necessarily). But everyone for the most part shops in the same stores, and I have never seen an actual "Russian" store call it self as such officially, they always put the word "European" some where in there. For instance some local Russian stores are called "Taste of Europe", "Euro Food & Deli", "Marvel Food & Deli". Also there has been a lot of intermarriage between communities and although recently there have been some fights over the recent political turmoil in Ukraine, in the end of the day most people still understand that they are still family and still remain together. However I've heard of instances where in-laws no longer talk to each other because one family is Ukrainian and the other is Russian, and usually it's the Ukrainians who start playing the silent game. But again pretty rare and usually no hard feelings between the communities, unless politics are brought up in conversation.
Marvel Food and Deli is my place for Russian food. It's in Auburn Wa C street just off hgwy 18. Great deli and a large selection. I have the girls in the office addicted to the Birds Milk chocolate/marshmellow candies. All the juices you will find in a Russian supermarket. You have to keep an eye on the potatoes they use in the deli though. I prefer the golden and sometimes they use Russets which I don't care for.

Old 11-19-2017, 11:15 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,924,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
The sausage and potato pelmini I was addicted to was produced in Finland. There was a Finish flag on the package. Maybe the Finns stole it from Russians?

I think the recipe is quite common actually. The other brands, Belorussian and Russian were excellent too but the stuff made in Finland used the golden potatoes which have a better flavor. IMO.
pelmeni don't have potatoes, pelmeni are stuffed with meat, usually beef. What you are thinking of are most likely called vareniki which are stuffed with mashed potatoes. I also agree that Marvel Food & Deli is the best Russian store in the Seattle area, very high quality and a fairly large store too, most are just little shops, it's like the H-mart of Russian stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe