Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2019, 07:05 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times

Advertisements

Huawei is looking to Russia for AI expertise

[url=https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/articles/2019-11-29/the-high-tech-partnership-between-russia-and-china]High-tech partnership with China[url]

China probably sees that it's in its best interest to build up Russia economically to avoid being isolated economically, much as the US built up the economies of Japan and German after the Berlin blockade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2019, 07:44 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
Tell-tale sign that US is behind the Hong Kong unrest

Far-right Ukrainian activists say they were ‘only in Hong Kong for protest tourism’ as concerns grow they could help authorities delegitimise movement

link

One thing about US-sponsored terrorism and activism is that they travel very well compared to other groups, such as Hezbollah and Al Shaabob, which stay close to their popular base. Neo-Nazis, Chechens, Caucasus Emirates, Al Qaeda, ISIS, and other groups can be found all over the globe.

Old 12-05-2019, 08:39 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimogor View Post
In the Russian sense, a supermarket is something like your Wallmart and bigger. And the assortment is also normal, someone has more, someone less. And the rolls are different, loafs, bread of various kinds, croissants and pastries, and much more.

As for the ice cream, now its just an incredible amount for every taste.
Interesting. But how is the quality? I somehow suspect these varieties are copies of Western recipes, not the high-quality Soviet-era ice cream...

Old 12-05-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Ruth, the *supermarkets" in Russia are now everywhere, and over half of them (or may be more) are foreign-owned.

I picked the first chain name off top of my mind - that's what they look like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIACeDyGWnQ

But as for bread...
The quality of it went down comparably to Soviet times
( that's what people say, and that's what I thought when I was last time in Moscow.)
Which is a shame of course.

Because no bread was/is like that, and doesn't come close ( except for may be German/Austrian varieties, but even then... )
When it comes to ice-cream - here ( yet again) Russians are saying that its quality is down comparably to Soviet one.

It's capitalist time in Russia, and so Russian *entrepreneurs* learned to use all kind of chemicals and fillers apparently as in the US.
With that being said however, I was recently in small Russian grocery store in the Mid-West, ( I was looking specifically for sweets, the kind I used to have in my childhood, and that disappeared by the mid-eighties in Soviet stores.)
To my surprise, I found them all in that store; they were of VERY good quality, but the store owners told me that they buy them ONLY from Moscow producers.

Americans that were in that store left only positive reviews about their experience on Google site.

Apparently I was not the only one who liked it; the store run out already of few products that I was looking for))
Thank you! This is what I suspected. And this is truly sad. And the last part is also what I was suspecting; that the only place left, where one might find items of quality, would be Moscow, maybe with luck in St. Pete's somewhere, too...

Germany/Austria don't produce the dizzying variety and quantity of breads, that the USSR did. They don't have those huge bread stores; the bakeries focus more on sweets (pastries, cookies), and have just a few varieties of bread and small rolls.

Old 12-05-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:

As for the quality of the ice cream, IMHO the closest in quality to the Soviet one is, of course, Grospiron(Гроспирон). If you suddenly meet this in the States, take it boldly, you won’t regret it. I basically try to take only him.
But they must still make the little "stakanchiki" of ice cream in paper wrappers, sold in refrigerated carts on the street? I can't imagine they've abandoned those. At least there, you could find the "real" Soviet ice cream. Please tell me those are still available! If not, someone could make a good business from reviving the Soviet recipes for ice cream, as a "prestige" brand. Probably the new stuff is cheaper, probably doesn't have as high a cream content, so the old-fashioned product could be marketed as a special high-quality brand...

I can't imagine Russia without good ice cream!

Old 12-05-2019, 07:05 PM

1,348 posts, read 624,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
But they must still make the little "stakanchiki" of ice cream in paper wrappers, sold in refrigerated carts on the street? I can't imagine they've abandoned those. At least there, you could find the "real" Soviet ice cream. Please tell me those are still available! If not, someone could make a good business from reviving the Soviet recipes for ice cream, as a "prestige" brand. Probably the new stuff is cheaper, probably doesn't have as high a cream content, so the old-fashioned product could be marketed as a special high-quality brand...

I can't imagine Russia without good ice cream!
Stakanchiki, of course, have not gone away and are still for sale.

https://www.rusholod.ru/icecream/type/15/

By the way, they are "Russian Cold" sort of supplies ice cream to the United States.

Quote:
In addition, the concern is the only company in Russia that has a license to sell its products in the United States. Concern "Russian Cold" never stops there, and now delivers its ice cream in Germany, England, the Baltic States, Greece and the United States.

Old 12-05-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The current thread on the "tragedy" of bakeries in France apparently going out of business or becoming less popular made me think about Russian bakeries. Back in the day, WAY back, there were wonderful bakeries providing all manner of fresh bread daily: different sizes, shapes, with raisins or without, different types of flour, etc. A seemingly infinite variety! These establishments had entire walls (plural, i.e. more than one wall full of bread in each bakery) full of cubbyholes with different types of bread.

I haven't seen such a place in more modern times, i.e. from 1991 onwards, but then, I haven't been to Moscow or St. Pete's in "modern" times, either. I'm wondering if these were mainly a feature of life in Western Russia? But that doesn't make sense; everyone needs bread. Post-1990, the only bread I've seen being sold was in kiosks, and it was the basic squarish loaf in three varieties: black, white, and in-between.

Can anyone fill me in on what happened to those fabulous bakeries they used to have? The disappearance of the Russian bakery palace, now THAT is a tragedy!
A small grocery store with its own bakery next to my house.
Attached Thumbnails
Russia. All that concerns Russia.Аnswers questions citizen of Russia.-bakery1.jpg   Russia. All that concerns Russia.Аnswers questions citizen of Russia.-bakery2.jpg  

Old 12-05-2019, 07:38 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,925,642 times
Are we witnessing Skripal 2.0?
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50672005

Old 12-05-2019, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Are we witnessing Skripal 2.0?
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50672005
This is already old news. It was back in August. And in addition, he was a terrorist. Even if Moscow was somehow involved in this, then in my opinion it was right. Such people should always be in fear that they will not hide anywhere and sooner or later they will get cancer of retribution (justice).

Old 12-05-2019, 09:03 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
I love "Borodinskiy" very much. But to find a really good and correct "Borodinskiy" is not easy.

Yes, it's plombir.

So where do you find it ( "good and correct" Borodinskiy?)
( Just in case I am in Moscow. )

I miss it very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe