Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2015, 11:00 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
But Ruth I can't drink vodka! It makes me sing the Volga Boatmen song off key.. But if Ihave to I'll sling one or two down in the interest of 'fraternal' relations ..;-)...
Well, yes, that's exactly how it works. And you wouldn't believe the ruses some people go to, to give the appearance of partaking without actually doing so. I read about one guy who would throw the contents of his shot glass into the nearest potted plant, when no one was looking. I could never do that to an innocent plant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 02:18 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,614,742 times
^
Hehe ...and I could never do it while drinking with my Russian guests! If I was caught doing that no doubt I'd be on a sub on to Murmansk, let out in a dingy with oars and pointed north. If they were nice they'd give me a bottle of Stoli to keep warm!...;-)...

On another note, a while back I saw Anthony Bourdain in a travel segment where his Russian friend was taking him around to the sights. Time came to imbibe! All I know is that he and that Russian could drink, downing shot after shot after shot after shot of vodka. You could tell that they were very very very 'happy'..Anthony knows how to be a good guest.:-)....

Old 01-05-2015, 04:16 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
^
Hehe ...and I could never do it while drinking with my Russian guests! If I was caught doing that no doubt I'd be on a sub on to Murmansk, let out in a dingy with oars and pointed north. If they were nice they'd give me a bottle of Stoli to keep warm!...;-)...

On another note, a while back I saw Anthony Bourdain in a travel segment where his Russian friend was taking him around to the sights. Time came to imbibe! All I know is that he and that Russian could drink, downing shot after shot after shot after shot of vodka. You could tell that they were very very very 'happy'..Anthony knows how to be a good guest.:-)....
I'm told by a Western-born Russian friend that the trick is to eat while imbibing. They always have food at the table, notice. Still, it just isn't my thing. I prefer sleight-of-hand.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:11 PM

^
Yes I believe eating while you drink is the way to go!

Old 01-13-2015, 09:46 AM

10 posts, read 9,256 times
One of the typical Russian jokes.

Policeman stops the car with the woman driver:

- Give me your driving license!
- I can't, it's a gift.

Unfortunately, getting a driving license in Russia is largely associated with corruption. It really can be easily purchased.

Theoretically, the procedure is as follows. Until recently, it was possible to pass the state exams for DL after the self study (eg, a private driving instructor). Now, however, admission to the state exam receives only one who was trained in a driving school. The cost of such training (given the recent double devaluation of the ruble) is $300- $350, which includes the theory (18 hours) and practice (10 hours).

The State exam also consists of two parts. First is a theory in the form of a test on the computer. Within 20 minutes you have to answer 20 questions and allow no more than 2 errors. Quite easily.

Second part is practical and it also consists of two parts. First - three exercises (parallel parking, the start up the hill, reversal in three steps). Then - the most difficult - " the city". Government representative sits next to you in the car and you drive through the city, carrying out his instructions. If he wants you to not pass the exam - he can do it by giving complex instructions with the traps.

This does not mean that you can not honestly pass the exam. You can - but it quite difficult to do. You may be forced to pass the exam repeatedly so that you will not get your license soon given that the gap between each attempt - a week.

Thereby most of the neophyte drivers prefer the easy way out - to bribe and get the DL very quickly . Such "insurance" (in the event that if I fail myself) I have offered by my instructor in a driving school - if I agreed, I just went into the exam and got the DL regardless of how many mistakes I have made.

As a result, there are a lot of untrained drivers on the roads who frequently get into an accident.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:50 PM

10 posts, read 9,256 times
Sorry for double posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
the trick is to eat while imbibing.
Training, only training can make you a really "vodka-drinker"
But once your liver may ask for mercy

But seriously, of course, the food helps not to get drunk fast.
Not without reason we tell to drunk people "You need to have a snack".

Old 01-14-2015, 08:14 AM

re: 'you need to have a snack'...

Good advice! And just one thing. Do Russians drink white wine 'straight' or do they maybe splash in some club soda or sparkling water? That's what I do picking it up from my Eastern European background. Now some say it dilutes the wine. But others say hey you can drink more vino without getting drunk!!!!

Old 05-09-2015, 06:08 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Mikhail Shishkin "How Russians Lost the War":
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/09/op...-war.html?_r=0

Happy V-day.

Old 05-09-2015, 12:34 PM

94 posts, read 116,641 times
see below

Old 05-09-2015, 12:38 PM

94 posts, read 116,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

Do people have a right to be proud of their country? Or is that a right reserved for Americans? Is Russia the only country that propagandizes to its people about how great it is?
There is such thing as a healthy patriotism. It's based on reality. You are aware about shortcomings, and you don't have to put other countries down to feel nicer about yourself. Putin has to go! At this points, he offers nothing other than scapegoating minorities, and getting Russia in troubles they don't need to be in due to his paranoia.

Americans, on the other hand, are pretty aware of their shortcomings-other than Texans-and at the same time, the whole world, no matter how much they hate us,secretly wishes they were like us: movies, lifestyle, economy-yes, economy! Many people try to get into this country illegally, and many people still try to leave their country illegally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe