Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2016, 09:10 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've never seen a train station that had a restaurant in it.
You haven't been in Europe for a while then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2016, 10:23 AM

4,692 posts, read 1,165,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Carrots, cabbage, tomatoes, beets and the seasonal fruits mostly. Most veggies I would eat raw and even craved at times.
Raphanus is taditional russian food. Its useful at winter time.

Old 11-05-2016, 10:26 AM

4,692 posts, read 1,165,924 times
Quote:
Prolly Germany. Some scars are not easily covered. My ex wife did not care for Germans as half her family died in the war.
They were killed with the participation of Stalin.

Old 11-05-2016, 11:07 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,178 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
You haven't been in Europe for a while then.
Le Train Bleu in Paris is probably the most famous train station restaurant.

Top 10 train station restaurants in Europe - The Guardian

The best train station restaurants - Loco2

→ Welcome | Le Train Bleu

Le Train Bleu - Wiki

The best ones in the UK are at St Pancras International Station in London.

Restaurants & Bars | 5 Star St Pancras Renaissance

The Gilbert Scott | Cocktail Bar and Restaurant in London St Pancras

Home - Searcys St Pancras Grand

Last edited by Brave New World; 11-05-2016 at 12:10 PM..

Old 11-05-2016, 12:09 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,234,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfc1 View Post
Who is more revered in Russia >

Tchikovski or Tolstoy ?
Tolstoy. His works are included in the school curriculum.

Old 11-05-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfc1 View Post
How do Russians see England ?
Unfortunately, as a loyal vassal of the United States.
It is also the first thing that springs to mind: foggy Albion, football, major financial center, Wales and Irish traditional music, the cradle of the Anglo-Saxon world.

Old 11-05-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Who is the mortal enemy of Russia? Germany or Poland?
"Enemy" is very strong word in the Russian language. The enemy must be destroyed by any means. Russian does not have enemies in the current moment, except terrorists.

Russian are respecting of Germans. Russian and Germans quickly find a common language. Poles behave more complicated. They want to be a major in Slavic family, but Russia does not allow them to do so.

Old 11-05-2016, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Prolly Germany. Some scars are not easily covered. My ex wife did not care for Germans as half her family died in the war.
The younger generation is gradually losing this feeling of hatred. But I remember how my grandmother felt the same.

Old 11-05-2016, 12:40 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Carrots, cabbage, tomatoes, beets and the seasonal fruits mostly. Most veggies I would eat raw and even craved at times.

I had PD (Per diem $40) that the boss paid and I also had access to the cafeteria at Ismailova rail yards when I was there. Otherwise I fended for myself and I was never far from a metro station and their little food kiosks during work times.

Smolensk train station had a small restaurant on the northwest side of the building on the platform. There was a smaller café inside that served coffee ect. Almost every train station had something.

I think it was local but I was impressed. None of that Tyson concentration camp chicken.
Seriously, you never ate raw carrots in the US? That's hard to believe. And now they've revived old "heritage" varieties, the purple carrots, which have 3 times the nutrient content. I can't imagine why you wouldn't eat raw carrots.

Some cafeterias/canteens are good. Others--not so much. Odd to compare those to American restaurants, though. I suppose you're comparing them to fast food in the US? That's not an appropriate comparison. Russia, too, has fast food shops that sell deep-fried snacks. That would be a more appropriate comparison. Otherwise, you should compare cafeterias to cafeterias, for example: hospital cafeterias and other worker-based cafeterias.

Every train station has "something", but it can hardly be called a restaurant. More like a snack bar. Suddenly, your goal posts are moving all over the place. If you want to make a fair comparison, say: Russian baked goods available in snack bars to American ones, then you can't lose.

I don't know anything about Tyson chicken. Apparently Russian chicken-raising techniques have changed a bit since they were faced with American imports in the 90's. If you'd had Russian chicken back then, you'd have a different view. However, Russian traditional cooking can work wonders. Institutional cooking--not so wondrous. Or hit and miss, at best, probably same as in the US.

Old 11-05-2016, 12:44 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
The younger generation is gradually losing this feeling of hatred. But I remember how my grandmother felt the same.
I've run into both sides of this. Some people dislike Germans due to WWII memories. Others go farther back in history, and say that Germans have made wonderful contributions to Russian society and science/technology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe