Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2016, 08:15 PM

5,699 posts, read 4,922,938 times

Advertisements

This is a bit off topic but I've been always curious as to the relationship between Russia and India. I know historically that Russia and India have been very close politically, but what about on a personal and cultural sense. Does the average Russian person think of Indians in positive, negative or neutral light? I've been wondering about this because there seem to be quite a few Russian music videos imitating/inspired by Indian music/dance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwpDzJE4fc8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n--TEFlviTU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvSUMIs0hbA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUzJI4Palq0

Also why is India politically close to Russia and vice versa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2016, 09:12 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Actually Russian Writers, Composers and Culture are admired in the UK.

The video below is Prokofiev: Romeo and Juliet, No 13 Dance of the Knights - London Symphony Orchestra (LSO) Conducted by Russian LSO Conductor Valery Gergiev.
I know. When Russians are at their best, they have this stroke of genius, which is difficult to not to admire. ( Ditto - when they are at their worst, you don't want to be around at all. ) As I've already said - they share this "bi-polar" quality may be only with Germans.
But don't think for a moment that Russians are not familiar with Shakespeare or Charles Dickens or Conan Doyle ( ditto Beatles and the rest.)
I am from the older generation of course, and when Ruth here mentioned with surprise kinda that Russians were aware of the existence of the "Wizard of OZ," I wanted to respond that it was one of the "staples" when I was growing up, along with many other foreign-written books - be that of French or German authors. And for younger children, the "Oliver Twist" and "Sherlock Holmes" were staples too. It was cultural shock for me, when I was trying to find these particular books for my son in the US ( since he didn't know any Russian.) They told me in the library that they were not suitable for children ( because of the outdated language, supposedly.) Of course it has been all translated and adapted for us, ( i.e. put in more modern and comprehensive style of language,) so the end result was that we were probably more familiar with European literature ( the variety of it) since our childhood than most of European children were))) ( Ditto - quite a few books from American literature has been translated for us too, that's why I started with the "Wizard of Ozz" here.)
But overall if you ask me, as much as Russians are aware of "British culture," I don't think they get the gist of it (Shakespeare apart - that's something they refer to quiet often, since his writing is reminiscent of Russia's own writers - i.e. it's deeply philosophical.)
Truth to be told - Russians ARE closer to Germans among all Europeans than to anyone else, in a strange, twisted way.

Old 11-05-2016, 09:41 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
"Enemy" is very strong word in the Russian language. The enemy must be destroyed by any means. Russian does not have enemies in the current moment, except terrorists.
It's my observation too - that Russians do not concentrate on any particular enemy. If they DO talk about the "enemy," - they usually talk about the *collective West* - not any country in particular.
When I detect the serious hatred in conversations - you are right, it's mostly about the Islamists, and Chechens in particular.

Quote:
Russian are respecting of Germans. Russian and Germans quickly find a common language.
Overall I'd agree with this too. You know, long time ago, out of curiosity I asked Russians ( made a short survey so to speak ) what European nationals they likd and dislike the most. Interestingly enough all Russians that never dealt with foreigners in their lives, said that they like the most the French ( why? because of historical connection) and they disliked Germans the most ( why? because of war, obviously.)
But when I asked the same questions Russians that actually DEALT with foreigners in real life ( i.e. the drivers, the wait stuff and so on - I mean simple Russian guys, they all put Germans at the top of the list. Don't remember what was in the middle, but the French ended up at the very bottom)))
I asked why they gave preference to Germans and they said the communication and mutual understanding were the best, even without the knowledge of the language, plus they were the most generous tippers. ( For Russians it's important, since good tipping is part of their own culture.)

Quote:
Poles behave more complicated. They want to be a major in Slavic family, but Russia does not allow them to do so.
So I would think that Poland really ( from historic perspective) SHOULD BE Russia's worst enemy, but that's obviously not a case either, because... well, the bear is too big for that.

Old 11-06-2016, 03:00 AM

27,151 posts, read 13,438,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I know. When Russians are at their best, they have this stroke of genius, which is difficult to not to admire. ( Ditto - when they are at their worst, you don't want to be around at all. ) As I've already said - they share this "bi-polar" quality may be only with Germans.
But don't think for a moment that Russians are not familiar with Shakespeare or Charles Dickens or Conan Doyle ( ditto Beatles and the rest.)
I am from the older generation of course, and when Ruth here mentioned with surprise kinda that Russians were aware of the existence of the "Wizard of OZ," I wanted to respond that it was one of the "staples" when I was growing up, along with many other foreign-written books - be that of French or German authors. And for younger children, the "Oliver Twist" and "Sherlock Holmes" were staples too. It was cultural shock for me, when I was trying to find these particular books for my son in the US ( since he didn't know any Russian.) They told me in the library that they were not suitable for children ( because of the outdated language, supposedly.) Of course it has been all translated and adapted for us, ( i.e. put in more modern and comprehensive style of language,) so the end result was that we were probably more familiar with European literature ( the variety of it) since our childhood than most of European children were))) ( Ditto - quite a few books from American literature has been translated for us too, that's why I started with the "Wizard of Ozz" here.)
But overall if you ask me, as much as Russians are aware of "British culture," I don't think they get the gist of it (Shakespeare apart - that's something they refer to quiet often, since his writing is reminiscent of Russia's own writers - i.e. it's deeply philosophical.)
Truth to be told - Russians ARE closer to Germans among all Europeans than to anyone else, in a strange, twisted way.

Tolstoy, Dostoevsk, Chekhov, Pushkin etc are all well known in the UK and the West, Tolstoy's War and Peace is a classic and Dostoevsk Crime and Punishment is also consider a very good piece of literature. There is a Pushkin House in London which promotes Russian culture.

Pushkin House

As for Shakespeare, it's the type of thing we were forced to read at school. Shakespeare, Chaucer, Milton, Dickens and even Orwell and H.G Wells were forced on us and in terms of female writers the likes of Jane Austen and the Bronte sisters.

Personally I prefer Dickens, the Bronte's and H.G Wells to Shakespeare etc.

The Wizard of Oz is a classic film and is universally popular, I remeber watching it as a child. Sadly Judy Garland didn't have a happy like, in fact she died aged 47 in 1969 in a rather down market looking mews house in London.

4 Cadogan Lane | The house that Judy died in

Other famous people who lived in London include Karl Marx, he's buried at Highgate Cemetry, whilst Lenin, Stalin and Trotsky all spent time living in London many years before the Russian Revolution.

Stalin's East End | London Evening Standard

As for the Bi-Polar quality, you can see it in many British writers and artists and even actors, as well as Americans, it's a self detruction mode from the likes of Dylan Thomas and Richard Burton through to James Dean and Marilyn Monroe. So it's not just Russians, we all have that make up as part of or DNA, however I think Russians are deep thinkers and it tends to be more of a national characteristic. Indeed any country where Chess is so widely played is a country of very deep thinkers.

Last edited by Brave New World; 11-06-2016 at 04:13 AM..

Old 11-06-2016, 08:23 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,435,844 times
Quote:
They were killed with the participation of Stalin.

No. A few were sent to Germany as forced labor and were never heard from again, one died while fleeing east in what was apparently an accident. Her great grand father and his wife were hung in front of their bakery because they had more flour than they were supposed to. Hiwis did this. Several males died fighting as partisans and several in the Red Army. She had a large family back then but after the war a little more than half had died. Her mother was born in the Pripyet marshes in a bunker. Hiding from collaborators hunting them.

Blame it on Stalin if you will. People of sound mind know that it was people of your ilk that caused it.

Old 11-06-2016, 08:33 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,435,844 times
Quote:
Seriously, you never ate raw carrots in the US? That's hard to believe. And now they've revived old "heritage" varieties, the purple carrots, which have 3 times the nutrient content. I can't imagine why you wouldn't eat raw carrots.

The carrots from the store that I know are far below what I have eaten abroad or grown myself. Most veggies seem to be that way to me. I'm not a big shopper either. Shopping for anything to me is a horrible experience meant to be gotten done as quickly as possible. Maybe I am out of touch these last few years when it comes to this subject. Bachelor Chow works fine for me.

Old 11-07-2016, 03:46 AM

750 posts, read 907,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post

Perhaps because of the poverty and neglect of the people?

Yes, and the second video with Vera Brezhneva - she is not Russian, she is Ukrainian.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:17 AM

5,786 posts, read 4,228,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadym View Post
Yes, and the second video with Vera Brezhneva - she is not Russian, she is Ukrainian.
I'm afraid that she succumbed to the influence of the genocide and Russification.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:24 AM

Quote:
It's my observation too - that Russians do not concentrate on any particular enemy. If they DO talk about the "enemy," - they usually talk about the *collective West* - not any country in particular.
When I detect the serious hatred in conversations - you are right, it's mostly about the Islamists, and Chechens in particular.
I do not support a negative opinion about Chechens. They are normal guys, their country has been damaged as a result of two wars. Tranquillity in the Caucasus has a price. This also applies to Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, etc.

Quote:
Overall I'd agree with this too. You know, long time ago, out of curiosity I asked Russians ( made a short survey so to speak ) what European nationals they likd and dislike the most. Interestingly enough all Russians that never dealt with foreigners in their lives, said that they like the most the French ( why? because of historical connection) and they disliked Germans the most ( why? because of war, obviously.)
But when I asked the same questions Russians that actually DEALT with foreigners in real life ( i.e. the drivers, the wait stuff and so on - I mean simple Russian guys, they all put Germans at the top of the list. Don't remember what was in the middle, but the French ended up at the very bottom)))
I asked why they gave preference to Germans and they said the communication and mutual understanding were the best, even without the knowledge of the language, plus they were the most generous tippers. ( For Russians it's important, since good tipping is part of their own culture.)
A lot of Germans living in Russia today. They are descendants of Germans from the Volga region, Kazakhstan and others. Two of my best friends have German roots.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
This is a bit off topic but I've been always curious as to the relationship between Russia and India. I know historically that Russia and India have been very close politically, but what about on a personal and cultural sense. Does the average Russian person think of Indians in positive, negative or neutral light? I've been wondering about this because there seem to be quite a few Russian music videos imitating/inspired by Indian music/dance.

I'm not sure, but maybe there are 2 reasons.
1. The Russian Empire annexed the vast eastern territory of Central Asia. Since the residents of these areas have become citizens of the Empire (and later the Soviet Union), the set of elements of the Eastern culture has come to Russia.
2. Sanskrit is an Indo-European language. It attracts researchers from Russia.

Last edited by Maksim_Frolov; 11-07-2016 at 05:41 AM.. Reason: change word "world" on "culture"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe