Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2018, 04:57 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,437,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
You are conflating modern Russians with the historical Rus. Perhaps purposefully, but that is in error. Russians are a part of Rus only. Easy to confuse since the land and later people were named after the Rus. Russians did not invade Constantinople in 860, those were Varangian Rus. More in commmon with Ukrainians than Russians.
Seems those who went after Constantinople were the ancestors of the people who founded the city of Moscow. I remember a story of people fleeing the predatory Crimean Tatars and heading north from the area NE of what is today Kiev. The populated the area and founded the city of Moscow. There were people living in the area and had been since the neolithic but they were few in number. Just who they were I'd like to know. I've heard some people call them Mordvinians which I guess is a Finno Ugrik type of people.

It's real complicated stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 06:33 PM

Russia successfully tested the Kinzhal hypersonic missile. 1200 mile range and a speed of mach 10. It can manuever while in flight and can be carried by a MIG-31or SU. You don't need to put a warhead on something like that to wreck your target. The kinetic energy involved when it hits would turn it to dust. The Onyx missile was called the carrier killer. It flies half the speed this does and is older tech.

If Stalin had a bunch of these he could have leveled Berlin with aircraft flying over Moscow.

TASS: Military & Defense - Russian Aerospace Forces made training launch of Kinzhal hypersonic missile - MoD

I knew they were way ahead of everyone else when it comes to materials research for stuff like this. Mach 6 is fast and you better have materials capable of handling the stresses involved.

Were you in on this Max? Please tell me all about it.

Old 03-10-2018, 07:10 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,534,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Putin is no saint for sure (what saint could govern Russia anyway??) but I do not think he is dangerous or ill-intentioned....if by being "no good news" means not willing to bend over and sell out Russia future and status then I guess he is "bad news"....but "bad news" that in a way I have respect for.....
It's not about sainthood, but about simple decency, that I think Putin sorely lacks.
He was among the gang that plundered Russia back in the nineties, he personally benefited from it, he was appointed by Yeltsin to keep those who did it unpunished, (except for few members of mafia that challenged the new *God father,*) and he is going to defend now the wealth and power of the new upper class ( and his own well-being of course) till the last Russian.
And all of it is packaged as the "National interests of Russia" of course.

Old 03-10-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
What are the main reasons? Crimea was a turning point for me, I revised my attitude to him.

Join the club, Maxim))

https://www.facebook.com/spandaryan/...36492373038240

P.S. Crimea was a geopolitical necessity for him, from strategic point of view.
He couldn't do without it. If no importance from strategic/military point of view, he would have sold Russians living there in the same manner as he has sold them in Donbass.

Old 03-10-2018, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Russia successfully tested the Kinzhal hypersonic missile. 1200 mile range and a speed of mach 10. It can manuever while in flight and can be carried by a MIG-31or SU. You don't need to put a warhead on something like that to wreck your target. The kinetic energy involved when it hits would turn it to dust. The Onyx missile was called the carrier killer. It flies half the speed this does and is older tech.

If Stalin had a bunch of these he could have leveled Berlin with aircraft flying over Moscow.

TASS: Military & Defense - Russian Aerospace Forces made training launch of Kinzhal hypersonic missile - MoD

I knew they were way ahead of everyone else when it comes to materials research for stuff like this. Mach 6 is fast and you better have materials capable of handling the stresses involved.

Hurray.

Old 03-11-2018, 12:39 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,230,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
You are conflating modern Russians with the historical Rus. Perhaps purposefully, but that is in error. Russians are a part of Rus only. Easy to confuse since the land and later people were named after the Rus. Russians did not invade Constantinople in 860, those were Varangian Rus. More in commmon with Ukrainians than Russians.
I agree that they were not the Slavic Rus in 860. Probably they were Scandinavians. But nevertheless, they have already begun to unite Slavic land and directly participated in the process of the baptism of Slavs.

And I believe that Modern Russia is direct heir of the ancient Rus state. Territory, national composition, religion, language. Even the ruling dynasty existed from the 9th to the early 17th century. I don't see a reasons to think otherwise.

Old 03-11-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Russia successfully tested the Kinzhal hypersonic missile.

I have not read about this before. But it looks like the missile was put into service on December 1, 2017.

https://youtu.be/7O5T_v0cUxQ

Mig-31 launches from the stratosphere.

Old 03-11-2018, 12:55 PM

Color photos Imperial Russia.

English Russia » Daily selected things from Russia and ex USSR countries. Published In English.

Old 03-11-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
See more

Old 03-11-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
I have not read about this before. But it looks like the missile was put into service on December 1, 2017.

https://youtu.be/7O5T_v0cUxQ

Mig-31 launches from the stratosphere.
From what I gather there were flight tests going on until now. You don't want the damn thing falling off the airplane onto peoples heads.

I like the sucker. A very deadly, effective standoff weapon that undoubtedly dirt cheap. It's got to be all but unstoppable. I'm trying to get good pics of the missile but they aren't out there yet. I bet it's a ram jet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe