Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 06:39 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,487,609 times

Advertisements

Where you gonna get a monthly pass for 45 Euros? Village?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
For sure. Because gas will cost you 3-4 times as much as in the US. And where in he11 does car insurance cost only $60?! And clothes in Europe are generally more expensive, too.

This is going to be an interesting thread.
He listed his monthly expenses. So, obviously, he is paying 60 per month. I used to pay maybe 35 per month for minimum coverage.

Utilities are expensive. Easily above 40 Dollar cents per kw/h. Just checked my old electricity company (Texas), and they currently want around 10 cents. Gas is expensive ( heating and warm water ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
Daycare is much cheaper than that, and college is free. Except a few administration fees of EUR 200-300.
It's not "free" then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Last time I checked studying at a university costs 500 euros per semester in Germany. Compare that to 20k to 40k $ per year in the US. That's what I meant when I said costs of living being lower in Germany.

Used to, not anymore.

Germany

And the tuition of a public university in the U.S. is not 20k or 40k per year. Perhaps 5k per Semester. California used to be very affordable. Maybe 3k per Semester.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 08:17 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,933,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Used to, not anymore.
Right, it is lower than 500 euros already again. It ranges from 40 to 287 euros per semester now. Link. Anyway, all these amount are so low the OP should not have to worry about that. And quality is pretty good too, Germany still produces by far the best engineers overall.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:28 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,621,258 times
OP: Good luck with that budget in Germany.

To the individual who says the cost of living in lower in Germany when compared to the US...What are you smoking?

I'm currently stationed in Germany and to the OP I would recommend you research this thoroughly because some people have no idea what they're talking about.

I have shopped off base and on base for food and I know for a fact that food is much cheaper on base. Examples: Coffee prices in Germany are outrageous, the German version of a tombstone pizza (Wagner) will cost you around $7. You are charged for bags at a grocery store and you have to bag your item yourself but it's only around a $1 and the Germans say it's exercising...

Cell phones...there's no "pay as you go" unlimited plans here...There are contracts and the pricing isn't too bad.

Internet: This is where I have the biggest issue: I'm paying nearly $70 dollars a month for DSL and that's the only thing available in my area..

Electricity/Water...You will not receive a meter reading every month...Instead you will pay a set price for a year and then your meter will be read at the end of the year...Depending on what you use in regards to electricity and water...you could owe much money at the end of the year....Water may come in the contract but if they know you are American they will most likely exclude it....(maybe because I'm military)

Gas....Again, it will be in your best interest to take some sort of public transportation. The gasoline is taxed at a ridiculous rate here. I would also recommend an Asian car if you want something cheap and very reliable.

Shopping/Furniture...There are going to be TONS of stores and furniture places that you will miss if you want to buy furniture at a low price...There are good furniture stores in my area but they are very pricey. Also, make sure you shop Monday-Saturday because nothing is open on Sundays.

Insurance: Car $60 dollars is a joke....Health Care...it will come out of your check as a tax...Don't know the percent..you would need to research it because I've heard all sorts of numbers.

I really hope you enjoy your stay in Germany.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Costs of living are not the same, they are actually lower in Germany. Still, you'd have to accept most people don't live an American lifestyle with a huge McMansion, a huge SUV. Housing and cars are smaller, then again most Americans do not live like that either.

The real advantage of Europe lies in historic, walkable cities, everything being close, no urban sprawl, good public transportation, good and low cost health care for everyone, better quality and cheaper food, more holidays, much better employee rights, etc.
Last time I checked studying at a university costs 500 euros per semester in Germany. Compare that to 20k to 40k $ per year in the US. That's what I meant when I said costs of living being lower in Germany.

What are you talking about?

As much as you try to model after the US, you continue to try to downplay the US simply off jealously. You Europeans guys have such an inferiority complex that it's cute. I have lived in Japan and Germany and the Germans want to compare silly things such as a washing machine. Food is not cheaper in Europe and never will be. Better quality food...if you meaning healthy...You might want to come to Spangdahlem Air Base and watch the Germans shop because their carts are full of "unhealthy" American snacks. For the ones who can't shop on base, they also will try to "bribe" an American into buying them things on base such as steaks and seafood because seafood here sucks. Everyone wants to know "How do you like it here"...My response...It's ok...It rains all the time, when there's a sunny day, the whole country let's you know like it's some kind of holiday. Everyone looks unhappy and depressed. The whole country is mad at Greece for money issues...I guess the US could be mad at Germany since we helped them after WWII...

I have visited France, The Netherlands, Portugal, Luxembourg, Belgium and Spain. Portugal and Spain had the nicest people while the French and Dutch spoke low of the Germans and the Germans speak low of them and you guys create a European Union in an attempt to model after the US...the country that you you're jealous of because it dominates the world and much your country has some sort of American influence...The EU will never be what it could be because of the egotistical nations. You have England, Italy and Greece who will probably leave the EU within the next 5-10 yrs. There's Germany who thinks their country is perfect and then you have the French who has a bigger ego..

Before I moved to Europe, I thought most Europeans were smart but after some conversations with some...I'm at a lost for words...When a report comes out showing that one of the Western European countries best the US in something...They all know about it....But when the report comes out about the Asian market having the best cars...there's something wrong with the report..Get real

Also, the US and Japan are the most advanced nations in the world....South Korea is probably right behind...

I'd be mad too if a country 400 years old dominated the world and has the impact that the US has....

Last edited by cdw1084; 04-22-2014 at 10:03 PM..

Old 04-23-2014, 03:00 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
What are you talking about?

As much as you try to model after the US, you continue to try to downplay the US simply off jealously. You Europeans guys have such an inferiority complex that it's cute. I have lived in Japan and Germany and the Germans want to compare silly things such as a washing machine. Food is not cheaper in Europe and never will be. Better quality food...if you meaning healthy...You might want to come to Spangdahlem Air Base and watch the Germans shop because their carts are full of "unhealthy" American snacks. For the ones who can't shop on base, they also will try to "bribe" an American into buying them things on base such as steaks and seafood because seafood here sucks. Everyone wants to know "How do you like it here"...My response...It's ok...It rains all the time, when there's a sunny day, the whole country let's you know like it's some kind of holiday. Everyone looks unhappy and depressed. The whole country is mad at Greece for money issues...I guess the US could be mad at Germany since we helped them after WWII...

I have visited France, The Netherlands, Portugal, Luxembourg, Belgium and Spain. Portugal and Spain had the nicest people while the French and Dutch spoke low of the Germans and the Germans speak low of them and you guys create a European Union in an attempt to model after the US...the country that you you're jealous of because it dominates the world and much your country has some sort of American influence...The EU will never be what it could be because of the egotistical nations. You have England, Italy and Greece who will probably leave the EU within the next 5-10 yrs. There's Germany who thinks their country is perfect and then you have the French who has a bigger ego..

Before I moved to Europe, I thought most Europeans were smart but after some conversations with some...I'm at a lost for words...When a report comes out showing that one of the Western European countries best the US in something...They all know about it....But when the report comes out about the Asian market having the best cars...there's something wrong with the report..Get real

Also, the US and Japan are the most advanced nations in the world....South Korea is probably right behind...

I'd be mad too if a country 400 years old dominated the world and has the impact that the US has....
Don´t forget though you are Military and will see things differently. No mater where you go the Military are not liked by the locals and the Military don´t seem to care for the locals much either.

It was that was where I was born and raised in San Diego with the Navy guys and it is the same where I live here in Germany now. Nothing against the military, I was in the Army for 3 years and 3 years Army reserve. I am sure where ever I was stationed the locals looked down on us like we did the Navy guys in San Diego.

And a Wagner frozen pizza costs like € 2.79 so not really that close to $7 and it does not make sense to compare Euro to Dollar unless you are working for dollars.

Rent is certainly a lot less here than at home, food a bit more, wine and beer much less.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:08 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,933,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
Don´t forget though you are Military and will see things differently. No mater where you go the Military are not liked by the locals and the Military don´t seem to care for the locals much either.

It was that was where I was born and raised in San Diego with the Navy guys and it is the same where I live here in Germany now. Nothing against the military, I was in the Army for 3 years and 3 years Army reserve. I am sure where ever I was stationed the locals looked down on us like we did the Navy guys in San Diego.

And a Wagner frozen pizza costs like € 2.79 so not really that close to $7 and it does not make sense to compare Euro to Dollar unless you are working for dollars.

Rent is certainly a lot less here than at home, food a bit more, wine and beer much less.
The person you are replying to has gone beserk in other recent threads which caused them to be closed soon after he got involved. The hilarious thing is, through his job he is forced to live in Germany, a place he hates so much.

Concerning food, fast food is cheaper in the US but groceries are actually much cheaper in Germany.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:18 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,575 times
Quote:
The person you are replying to has gone beserk in other recent threads which caused them to be closed soon after he got involved. The hilarious thing is, through his job he is forced to live in Germany, a place he hates so much.

Concerning food, fast food is cheaper in the US but groceries are actually much cheaper in Germany.
I hated most places I was stationed when I was in the Military (In the US, ws never anywhere outside) but it had more to do with being in the Military. Most Military that I meet here in Germany say thay like it though. The last time I went back to the US, about 4 years ago it seemed like everything had gotten really expensive.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post

A Wagner pizza actually cost around 4 Euros in my area. I just purchased one Saturday.

Rent is less here than at home....Maybe in California but not in Georgia....I pay $1600 a month for rent and my landlord says that is much more than any local pays on my street. This house would certainly be under $1000 in GA.

Military or not doesn't have anything to do with prices other than housing being raised because of our CAP limits.

Also, I was in Japan for 4 years and the locals there were much more welcoming so I'm not buying that either.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:

Groceries are not cheaper in Germany, it's not even worth entertaining at this point. I shop at a commissary and even those prices are cheaper than the German stores Aldi's and Rewe by a good margin. The steaks in these stores are small and are very expensive.

I don't hate Germany at all. However, I just not a fan of living here economically.

I'm in the military so of course my job has me here but it's only temporary so hopefully these next 21 months move rather quickly.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:47 PM

26 posts, read 84,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
I don't hate Germany at all. However, I just not a fan of living here economically.

I'm in the military so of course my job has me here but it's only temporary so hopefully these next 21 months move rather quickly.
Remember, you live in Germany on a US pay check and maybe a few per diems. That makes it harder economically. Most Germans make more than the average American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe