Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 12:08 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post

Wow, only 3 people? Jesus, where do you live?

Just this morning I encountered a tiny man on my daily walk (whose name may actually have been Jesus, for all I know), he couldn't have been even 150 cm tall. I see someone like that and I am tempted to scoop them up and see if they will fit in my pocket. (I work with small children.)
I said "personally known", but that I haven't seen more than 3 people more than 190cm. As I said I am 175 and I find myself of average size in either the US or Canada. In some places I feel I am above average such as Buenos Aires, Argentina, Tokyo, Japan or Chengdu, China.

I don't think being overly tall is an enviable thing. The ideal height of a man is between 178 and 182cm, give or take. If you are 190 and above, you start to have inconvience in your life because our infrastructure is not designed for very tall people. You will have trouble sitting in the back seat of small cars, be cramped in economy class flights, even have trouble finding the right pants!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 12:14 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I said "personally known", but that I haven't seen more than 3 people more than 190cm. As I said I am 175 and I find myself of average size in either the US or Canada. In some places I feel I am above average such as Buenos Aires, Argentina, Tokyo, Japan or Chengdu, China.

I don't think being overly tall is an enviable thing. The ideal height of a man is between 178 and 182cm, give or take. If you are 190 and above, you start to have inconvience in your life because our infrastructure is not designed for very tall people. You will have trouble sitting in the back seat of small cars, be cramped in economy class flights, even have trouble finding the right pants!
Why is it mainly only the men who are tall to very tall?

Old 06-13-2014, 01:33 AM

282 posts, read 962,703 times
Yes we have a special gene in the Netherlands which causes only men to be taller............ There's just as many tall women as tall men here, omg.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:17 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,252,341 times
Dutch are very pickey when it comes to which type of beer to drink. Only Heineken/Amstel and Grolsh and of course a bunch of extra special hand made small brewery specialities boosted with pot.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:34 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,252,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post

Exactly. While I have dated men shorter, my typical cut off would be 188 cm as the shortest, and tallest would be a little over 2 m. Sounds like I need to plan a trip to the Netherlands again.
I do date short women (can you imagine) but usually i persuade them to wear peep toe heels. And so far they've been co op. But just take those off when you step in my car. I like to keep it clean.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:13 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,804,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
185 cm is not that tall at least in the Netherlands.
I'm 190 cm and never felt tall in this country since i left middle school.
185cm is actually the average for a Dutch male (171cm for female), which is the tallest in the world.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
Is that common for Germanic people? They do the same thing in Sweden. Though I haven't noticed it in Germany proper.

Everyone says the Dutch are tall, but that's just the men, as far as I've noticed. All the Dutch women I've ever seen were short.
Er, what? Dutch women are definitely tall on average. I remember a group of Dutch tourists, and even most of the middle aged women were around my height. I once travelled with a Dutch couple who were both like 6'3" (kid you not). She was one of the tallest ladies I've ever met. Most Dutch girls I meet backpacking are at least 5'6", and a few taller than me at 5'9". If the men are tall, the women will be tall too...

Old 06-13-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Sure "bas" doesn't mean short,it means "low".It's like the Dutch said "We're drowning!!!" then the universe savaged them by giving them 6 more inches.
I guess god is still fair in some peculiar ways lmfao.

Holy.****ing.****.
Probably low as in the 'Low Countries', Netherlands and Belgium.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Asian people are short.The average height for Asian men in general is like 5'7
If you include all of Asia, more like 5'6". In Sri Lanka and Vietnam I was always one of the tallest people. Malays/Indonesians are short too. Thais in Bangkok a bit taller, partly due to the Chinese ancestry but Dai are taller than Viets and Khmer... China, South Korea, Japan have the tallest, especially northern China. I felt tall in Hong Kong, but short in Beijing. In Beijing many guys are over 6 feet. In Hong kong a few are but it's not that common. I've also met some girls who are like 6 feet from the north of China.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:17 AM

8,865 posts, read 8,448,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Probably low as in the 'Low Countries', Netherlands and Belgium.
The Netherlands is called les Pays-bas in French,literally means low countries.However Belgium is called la Belgique.Idk why though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
If you include all of Asia, more like 5'6". In Sri Lanka and Vietnam I was always one of the tallest people. Malays/Indonesians are short too. Thais in Bangkok a bit taller, partly due to the Chinese ancestry but Dai are taller than Viets and Khmer... China, South Korea, Japan have the tallest, especially northern China. I felt tall in Hong Kong, but short in Beijing. In Beijing many guys are over 6 feet. In Hong kong a few are but it's not that common. I've also met some girls who are like 6 feet from the north of China.
I'm like 5'10 and I feel semi-tall in Taiwan.
Asian people are just short.Idk about Beijing because I've never been there,but it's possible that people from the north are taller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe