Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 03:56 PM

14,822 posts, read 12,056,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misko View Post
In Serbia calling someone "European" can even be pejorative, Europe of course symbolizing weakness and gayness and other traits considered undesirable
This isn't European! Just the French!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2014, 05:03 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,621,571 times
The Balkans sure are interesting..

Old 06-22-2014, 05:31 PM

70 posts, read 172,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
This isn't European! Just the French!
I don't know, most western Europeans (Germans) I met were suspiciously friendly and unintimidating, it is hard to explain but they kind behaved like "girls" (what we call "*****"/P**sy)

Old 06-22-2014, 07:06 PM

102,246 posts, read 108,146,854 times
Quote:
I don't know, most western Europeans (Germans) I met were suspiciously friendly and unintimidating, it is hard to explain but they kind behaved like "girls" (what we call "*****"/P**sy)
Why should they be intimidating? And unfriendly?

Old 06-22-2014, 07:13 PM

990 posts, read 1,946,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Do Greenlanders consider themselves part of Europe?
No. I read articles about them and they consider themselves as North American natives, which is what they are, Greenlanders are Inuits, not Europeans. The fact that Greenland belongs to Denmark (don't know if "belongs" is the right word since they are actually autonomous and rules themselves) does not change the fact that Greenland is both geographically, lingually and culturally in North America, and even borders Canada. Greenland is just as North American as Nunavut and the Northern Territories are.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:15 PM

102,246 posts, read 108,146,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post
No. I read articles about them and they consider themselves as North American natives, which is what they are, Greenlanders are Inuits, not Europeans. The fact that Greenland belongs to Denmark (don't know if "belongs" is the right word since they are actually autonomous and rules themselves) does not change the fact that Greenland is both geographically, lingually and culturally in North America, and neighbors Canada. Greenland is just as North American as Nunavut and the Northern Territories is.
That's why I asked. Technically, though, it's still part of Denmark, even though they have home rule.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
That's why I asked. Technically, though, it's still part of Denmark, even though they have home rule.
By that argument one may also ask if the British Virgin Islands, French Guyana, Aruba, Montserrat, French Polynesia or New Caledonia is considered as "European" by those who lives there. I guess the most common answer by the locals there would be a very clear "no".

Non-European overseas territories of European countries are not European. What officially is Europe ends at Iceland, and so it most likely does for those who lives in these territories as well.

Last edited by Helsingborgaren; 06-22-2014 at 07:35 PM..

Old 06-22-2014, 07:35 PM

4,709 posts, read 5,075,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusPetersson View Post
Yes the language issue is a big thing, as your average Swede does not understand Finnish more than your average Englishman understands Japanese. However Finland is still not regarded as a being a part of the "foreign" kontinenten (the continent),
Those I know think Finland is a defacto part of Russia. It was at one time. The people come from Russia as does the language and they drink vodka heavily. Whereas the Swedes have a northern/westernEuropean language and they tend to look south and west rather than east.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
Those I know think Finland is a defacto part of Russia. It was at one time. The people come from Russia as does the language and they drink vodka heavily. Whereas the Swedes have a northern/westernEuropean language and they tend to look south and west rather than east.
Well thats not my experience of what Swedes thinks of Finland. Still yes its seen as kind of "eastern" and foreign, but not to that extent, at least not based on personal experience. As for common stereotypes about Finns in Sweden is that they are strong, masculine, knife-wielding brutes who drinks lots of "koskenkorva" (Finnish vodka) and speaks a strange language that "reminds of Russian", but this is sometimes just for in-between jokes while Swedes does not really have much against Finland in real life so to say, but rather sees it as a trustworthy neighbour and ally. For instance very many Swedes in the areas around Stockholm today takes the ferries from Stockholm to Turku and Helsinki and also to Mariehamn in the Swedish-speaking Finnish archipelago Ă…land Islands.

In the outside world though I think that Finland is often seen in the same light as Sweden and Norway as a "typical northern Scandinavian country" with a viking heritage etc which they of course don't have. The world view of Finland is very different from the Swedish/Norwegian view of Finland.

Old 06-23-2014, 12:39 PM

6,469 posts, read 8,203,529 times
Quote:
I guess it is a much tougher atmosphere down there. Serbians are known for one thing here in Norway: Hardcore criminals (war / drug)

Aah. I forgot your movies...

A Serbian Film

"Upon its debut on the art film circuit, the film received substantial attention for its graphic depictions of rape, necrophilia, and child sexual abuse. The Serbian state investigated the film for crime against sexual morals and crime related to the protection of minors. The film has been banned in Spain, Finland, Portugal, France, Australia, New Zealand, Malaysia, and Singapore, rejected in Norway, cut for a record of 19 minutes in the United States, and temporarily banned from screening in Brazil."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe