Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 12:16 PM

293 posts, read 317,326 times

Advertisements

A few years back I had spent a summer in Europe, particularly in Berlin. I also traveled from place to place throughout central Europe. I had to admit, whether I would have a beer or enjoy a snack or meal the food and quality of drinks seemed to exceed the average mark of their North American counterparts. Most everything I tasted, from cheese to certain types of meat and produce, seemed to have a higher quality of taste. It was often more rich and had a more unique burst of flavor. Beer for example was always incredibly smooth and not overly carbonated or bitter. Cheese have a rich and soft texture that wasn't salty. Bread, above all, concisely tasted fresh with a crunchy crush and soft interior texture.

I hate to stereotype as North America is still a large bread basket and produces quality food. Something about European food however really sets it apart in quality from North America. Things such as beer is understandable considering that there is a long tradition of strict brewing laws in parts of central Europe. Other food though still seems to bring up questions though. It is usually reasonably priced and the quality seems amazing. If you want the same taste in North America you would need to pay extra for imported products.

Anyone care to share their thoughts? So far the only conclusion I came come to is Europe is more strict in protecting small farms and small business related to food service and food production.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2014, 12:35 PM

520 posts, read 1,515,601 times
I can't comment on America, however, I'm from Berlin and everytime I go abroad (particularly Spain, France and Britain) the food tastes waaaaay better and more fresh than the junk you get in German grocery stores or restaurants.

Old 06-10-2014, 12:40 PM

293 posts, read 317,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brabham12 View Post
I can't comment on America, however, I'm from Berlin and everytime I go abroad (particularly Spain, France and Britain) the food tastes waaaaay better and more fresh than the junk you get in German grocery stores or restaurants.
Well just to support your experience, the food I had in Vienna was much more fresh and better than in Berlin.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:31 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brabham12 View Post
Do you really think so? I've never been to Germany so cannot comment, but I did enjoy the food in France and Spain.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:33 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,890,394 times
Spanish food is absolutely rotten!! Sorry

Old 06-10-2014, 01:33 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times
You only enjoy American fast food, so I understand your position.

Old 06-10-2014, 01:51 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,194,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Spanish food is absolutely rotten!! Sorry
I know. San Sebastián, for instance, is a culinary hellhole.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:21 PM

10,021 posts, read 8,646,805 times
People here in the States are always bitching about how crappy the food tastes but they seldom walk away from it.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:35 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,141,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjthejetplane View Post
A few years back I had spent a summer in Europe, particularly in Berlin. I also traveled from place to place throughout central Europe. I had to admit, whether I would have a beer or enjoy a snack or meal the food and quality of drinks seemed to exceed the average mark of their North American counterparts. Most everything I tasted, from cheese to certain types of meat and produce, seemed to have a higher quality of taste. It was often more rich and had a more unique burst of flavor. Beer for example was always incredibly smooth and not overly carbonated or bitter. Cheese have a rich and soft texture that wasn't salty. Bread, above all, concisely tasted fresh with a crunchy crush and soft interior texture.

I hate to stereotype as North America is still a large bread basket and produces quality food. Something about European food however really sets it apart in quality from North America. Things such as beer is understandable considering that there is a long tradition of strict brewing laws in parts of central Europe. Other food though still seems to bring up questions though. It is usually reasonably priced and the quality seems amazing. If you want the same taste in North America you would need to pay extra for imported products.

Anyone care to share their thoughts? So far the only conclusion I came come to is Europe is more strict in protecting small farms and small business related to food service and food production.
I don't know, but food and drink always taste better on vacation.

By now there is plenty of world-class food and drink in America. If you choose good (non-chain) restaurants and/or cook at home using decent ingredients, you'll eat as well as in Europe. And there is plenty of good coffee and beer in the US, just not Folgers and Miller.

On top of this, things are global now, read your labels, so much of what I eat is not made or grown in America anyway and vice versa.

But I'll admit that many Americans (50%?) have no interest in better food or even the ability to differentiate. And I'll also admit to having had dreadful meals in Italy, England, Romania, Russia and more.

This post would be far more valid before about 1988.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:39 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,734,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I

But I'll admit that many Americans (50%?) have no interest in better food or even the ability to differentiate.
Many Americans only care about quantity.
Those humongous soda and pop corn are non-existent anywhere else outside America. I have no idea why they need that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe