Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 07:16 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,309,332 times

Advertisements

Possibly going to NL in March, second time there. Any suggestions on places to see no more than a few hours from Amsterdam?

First time I was there. I went to Gouda and Rotterdam- I would like to explore Rotterdam and Amsterdam more, maybe one day in each. Any other cities in the NL?

Been to Brussels but not impressed. Any better places in Belgium?

Been to Luxembourg, really liked it but I have seen it all there, no reason to go back.

Thought about Koln, Dusseldorf and Dortmund, since I have never been to any of these.

Perhaps the ferry from Hook to Harwich. Cheap but is it worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 07:45 AM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,575,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Possibly going to NL in March, second time there. Any suggestions on places to see no more than a few hours from Amsterdam?

First time I was there. I went to Gouda and Rotterdam- I would like to explore Rotterdam and Amsterdam more, maybe one day in each. Any other cities in the NL?

Been to Brussels but not impressed. Any better places in Belgium?
Try Roosendaal in southern Netherlands on Saturday and this way you will able to enter in a typical Dutch windmill which is called "Twee Gebroeders". I've been there and it was a valuable experience.

There are many beautiful places in Belgium, as Gent, Antwerpen or Brugge.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:21 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,536,326 times
Everybody sh*ts their pants for Bruges, so that sounds like a nice and easy pick, if it were me.

I went to Düsseldorf for an evening once. It's nice but is very commercial in the centre near the Rhine. I'm not sure if it's the place to go if you're a casual tourist looking for old world charm or some nice monuments or that kind of thing. I would say most of Northern Germany's larger cities actually seem more modern than those of its neighbours. Dortmund would almost certainly be less appealing than Düsseldorf. Köln...I'm not so sure about. Münster looks nice, though.

Have you thought about The Hague or Utrect? I've only been to Utrect for twenty minutes, so I'll assume I don't know enough to talk about it.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:55 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Paris.Duh.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Paris.Duh.
It's about 5 hours away driving.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:48 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
It's about 5 hours away driving.
Lol I was kidding.

What about Lille?

Old 07-15-2014, 12:56 PM

Hmmm, I've never heard of Lille until now. Looks nice and is about the same distance as the Western German cities OP is considering...

Old 07-15-2014, 05:30 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,545 times
Den Haag - lots to see by the water, including north sea beach.

Old 07-15-2014, 10:13 PM

730 posts, read 815,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Hmmm, I've never heard of Lille until now. Looks nice and is about the same distance as the Western German cities OP is considering...
I love Lille! Its nickname is "Petit Paris." But don't get too excited, it's not a tourist hotspot. You can see pretty much everything there is to see in one day so it's a good place to go for a quick weekend trip, not for an extended weekend. People in the rest of France tend to poo-poo Lille because of its heavily industrial past. But the center part of the city is actually very attractive, and the city is reinventing itself as a modern city and large university center. Its Palais des Beaux-Arts, started by Napoleon, is the largest museum in France outside of Paris. Lille (and the entire North of France) is also noted for its many beffrois (clock towers).

http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/...15-Years-2.jpg

http://th01.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/...ry-d4w7x45.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-kV42fk_NFv...0/scan0144.jpg

Dinant, Belgium, is a quaint and beautiful little town, too, built at the bottom of a cliff. It's also home of Adolphe Sax, inventor of the saxophone. There are saxophone statues all over town.

http://www.pommietravels.com/wp-cont...0376293888.jpg

http://www.visitbelgium.com/uploads/...E%20ROCHER.JPG

http://www.visitbelgium.com/uploads/...tue_Dinant.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 07-18-2014 at 06:36 PM..

Old 07-17-2014, 02:54 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
Everything near Amsterdam either *in* The Netherlands or *right outside* The Netherlands
is within a few hours ...

Some have already mentioned a few cities in Belgium worth visiting,
but actually you could go around the Netherlands for days and see a lot of stuff,
all within a few hours of Amsterdam and all within The Netherlands.

North:
Zaanse Schans area (windmills), Marken & Volendam (*authentic* dress).
East:
The area that has been reclaimed from the water, called Flevoland
Giethoorn (canal city)
South:
Gouda (Cheese), The Hague (Government buildings), Rotterdam (Harbors), Delft (University town and *Delft Blue), Kinderdijk ([vimeo]96949216[/vimeo]
Kinderdijk on Vimeo), coastal areas near them.
West:
Haarlem (Haarlem - Holland.com), Ijmuiden, Zandvoort (Zandvoort - Holland.com)
East:
Utrecht (interesting), Apeldoorn (Het Loo - The Royal Palace), The Hoge Veluwe (an interesting area).

Rent a car, and go north from Amsterdam, then east over the *Afsluitdiijk* into Friesland,
then south and then west again to Amsterdam. Visit a VVV kiosk and have them plan a trip for you with all the places worth stopping at.

It all depends what you are looking for !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe