Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 02:40 PM

287 posts, read 517,541 times

Advertisements

My kids are US/German dual citizens. They have never had permanent residence in the EU. Would they qualify for the "home" tuition rate to attend the Univ of Oxford?? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 03:12 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,347,329 times
Quote:
For each programme, fees are split into Home/EU, Islands and Overseas. For further information about these classifications please see the fee status page.
University tuition fee rates - University of Oxford

Your kids are citizens of an EU member states, therefore the home tuition rate applies.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:01 PM

287 posts, read 517,541 times
The website says "if you are a UK or EU national and you have lived all of your life in the EEA or Switzerland…" you then qualify for the home rate. As I stated, my kids have never lived in the EU (or outside the US for that matter.) This is why I am asking.

Old 08-17-2014, 10:20 PM

282 posts, read 962,818 times
Surprisingly so the information on the website is pretty misleading. Rest assured however that all EU citizens pay the same fees regardless of where they have lived.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:52 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,526,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankCostello View Post
Surprisingly so the information on the website is pretty misleading. Rest assured however that all EU citizens pay the same fees regardless of where they have lived.
I don't believe that's the case if they haven't maintained residency for a set period of time somewhere in the EEA or Switzerland. It used to be three years if I recall correctly. That may have changed in the last decade, I suppose. Can someone chime in with up to date information?

Old 08-18-2014, 01:58 AM

Default It hasn't changed

Here you are, OP:
Example situations

I am a dual UK/Canadian national, but I've never lived in the UK or EEA. Can I pay fees at the Home/EU rate?

No, fee status is based on your nationality and where you were living for the three years immediately before the start of your course. Although you are a UK national, you have never lived in the UK or EEA so you do not qualify to pay fees at the Home/EU rate.
Excepted from Fee status - University of Oxford.

Nationality is not necessarily the same as citizenship in the eyes of the law. Roughly defined for the purposes of tuition at Oxford, nationality means citizenship of an EEA country or permanent residency in the UK -- either of those two statuses -- combined with actual residency in the EEA, Switzerland or EU overseas territories for citizens of the European Community or permanent residency in the UK for UK permanent residents. One can thus be a citizen, but not be a national. The two are different things, and embarrassingly for Oxford, they appear to have gotten this wrong in this section.

Last edited by maclock; 08-18-2014 at 02:23 AM..

Old 08-18-2014, 02:11 AM

This is actually what you need, OP:
EU nationals

A person who on the relevant date

(a) is a national of a member State of the European Community, or who is the family member of such a national, which includes the spouse or civil partner, and the direct descendants of his or her spouse or civil partner who are under 21 or who are dependants of his or her spouse or civil partner, and

(b) who has been ordinarily resident throughout the three-year period preceding the first day of the first academic year of the course (1 September for a course starting in September/October) in the EEA, Switzerland or EU overseas territories, and

(c) his or her residence in the EEA, Switzerland, or EU overseas territories has not during any part of the period referred to in (b) been wholly or mainly for the purpose of receiving full-time education.

A person shall be treated as ordinarily resident in the EEA, Switzerland, or EU overseas territories if he or she would have been so resident at the relevant time but for the fact that a spouse or civil partner, parent, guardian, or any other person having parental responsibility for him or her, is or was temporarily employed outside the area in question. For these purposes, temporary employment includes any period a member of the regular armed forces of a Member State of the EEA or Switzerland serves outside of the territory comprising the EEA and Switzerland as members of such forces. It may be possible to become eligible for Home/EU fee status by meeting these conditions after the start of any year of the course.

For students starting in September 2011 or later, it may be possible to qualify for Home/EU fees with less than 3 years residency in the EEA or Switzerland provided that the EU national through whom Home/EU fees are being claimed has been resident in the EEA or Switzerland for at least 3 years. For more information on this, visit the UKCISA website.
Excerpted from Fee classification - University of Oxford.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:25 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,347,329 times
How are they checking that you really lived in Europe during the last three years? Apparently there is no residence registration in the UK?

Resident registration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-18-2014, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
How are they checking that you really lived in Europe during the last three years? Apparently there is no residence registration in the UK?

Resident registration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
My guess is that they could ask people whom they suspect of not being bona fide residents to furnish the relevant authorities with tax returns, property leases, utility bills, contracts of employment, bank statements, etc. This is just a blind guess, however, for I have no experience with how they handle this kind of stuff in the UK.

Old 08-18-2014, 03:00 AM

282 posts, read 962,818 times
what if you say you had no tax returns, no property leases, no utility bills, no contracts of employment and no bank statements? What do they check then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe