Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 10:19 AM

956 posts, read 1,767,118 times

Advertisements

Plastic & zip-up/ sealable bags, wipes, plaster, pads, paracetamol, insect ointment plus socks of various lengths. Tweezers, whistles on a long string to call for help - 3 short blasts, a compass (your smartphonehone may not work), notepad, sanitary pads. Dry shampoo, d number of your embassies, How to say "help" in d languages of d nations u will be visiting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 10:24 AM

956 posts, read 1,767,118 times
Marker pen but keep it in a sealable plastic case. Don't forget your phone & camera chargers, memory cards, sunblock, toothbrush, floss. A torchlite with spotlight & blink function. Panic alarm.

Also take pictures & copies of important documents then mail to yourself. In addition fotograph your handbag, luggage from different sides in both phones & cameras.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:28 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudra View Post
Panic alarm.
I really don't think that's necessary.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:46 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
You're going to be burnt out from running around trying to find your new hotel every two days and sitting in trains half the trip. Then you and you're girlfriend are going to probably want each other dead by the time you leave Europe.
haha! What a great "Bon voyage"!

Old 08-13-2014, 10:53 AM

1,660 posts, read 2,533,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudra View Post
Plastic & zip-up/ sealable bags, wipes, plaster, pads, paracetamol, insect ointment plus socks of various lengths. Tweezers, whistles on a long string to call for help - 3 short blasts, a compass (your smartphonehone may not work), notepad, sanitary pads. Dry shampoo, d number of your embassies, How to say "help" in d languages of d nations u will be visiting.
We are going to Europe, not the congo lol. Thanks though

Old 08-13-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Yeah, this was quite priceless. You really have a need for whistles and a compass in the middle of Paris, Salzburg or Amsterdam.

Yes, you're going to countries/cities that are safer than the average city in the US, it's not the 3rd world out here.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:13 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
I don't know if we covered this one; make photocopies of the main page of your passports, in case you lose your passports or they're stolen.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:49 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,888,482 times
I don't know water, I can assure you that tap water in Italy is fine: I have drunk tap water in all the countries you mentioned except Netherlands (well at Schilpool airport if that counts) and Switzerland (or perhaps I did but I was too young to remember), and nothing happened to me.
I'd say, try and if you see you have stomach ache, then stick to bottled water.
As for tips:
1) Learning the languages might be a plus (obviously some sentences) but not so necessary considering that you are a tourist and people should be helpful.
2) Watch out, especially in Rome, for the sales receipts in restaurants/shops and for prices because there have been several cases of tourists swindled by locals.
Now, don't get paranoid but since it cracks my nerves that tourists who come bringing money and curiosity, who do nothing but good to Rome are fooled and then the reputation may fall on all Italians, I do want people to be warned.
In case of doubt don't hesitate to ask and if doubt persists make a mention of calling "guardia di finanza" or "finanza" (financial guard) which will scare the hell out of them.
3)Obviously beware of too touristic places: prices will be highest.
4) Beware of "made in Italy" because there are a lot of imitators: watch out if it's not counterfeited.
5)In Venice and Paris (and Rome too) play attention to prices because some places are EXTREMELY expensive.
To give you an idea, I pay an espresso like 0,80 € (if I am lucky) or at most 1,20€, in Venice you might be asked for 6 €!
6)If you want to eat well and not having to pay an eye of your head, look for "trattoria" (plural "trattorie") which is a local restaurant, 99% of time family-owned and run where you'll eat healthy and tasty local food (basically you'll eat what common Italians eat and what is famous for being the best cuisine in the world).
7) Enjoy your trip and remember that you don't have to be paranoid but just use some good sense and be careful

Old 08-13-2014, 12:08 PM

More hints for Italy:

1) constantly make offers "that they can't refuse"
2) If someone offers you to go for a ride, don't. You'll be whacked
3) Refer constantly to "this thing of ours", and you'll be fine
4) Refer your father as "boss" or "capo di tutti capi", and you're out of trouble
5) Don't care if there's a horse's head in your bed in the morning
6) Say Toto Riina is a friend of yours, even if he isn't
7) Don't go fishing with anyone, you'll get cement boots
8) Don't go for a "Sicilian rodeo"

Just joking.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:42 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,931,302 times
Leave your guns at home. It's not as dangerous as the US over here and they would not be allowed anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe