Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 03:52 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,537,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
It took me a year or so to become fluent in German but even before I was never treated rudly for my attemts to speak the language. I have been living in Germany for 14 years now.
It really only took you a year? How much time did you spend on it a day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 03:58 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,125,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
It really only took you a year? How much time did you spend on it a day?
No choice- total Immersion, working where no one spoke English, living in a small village where almost nobody out side of my (now ex) wife did... Also I was working as a Graphic Designer in a small agency owned ba a freind of my wifes and got tasked with German to English Translations of websites a lot. After about a year I was pretty fluent- still getting better though. Never took a class but was coached by mx ex who is a teacher.

Old 08-14-2014, 04:05 AM

3,379 posts, read 5,537,247 times
Impressive!

Old 08-14-2014, 07:15 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
I lived in Germany for three years and traveled all over Europe during that time. Not once - not ONCE - did anyone, anywhere make a comment about my use of their language. Not only that, most Germans seemed eager to hone their English skills when they realized my native language is English - some even told me that specifically, and wanted feedback on how well they spoke English.

As for customer service - their expectations and practices are different. It was common, even before I spoke a word, for clerks to be reserved, distant - not as warm as I'm accustomed to as an American. But I do not recall a single time that a clerk or business employee was rude to me.

To this day I love the phrase, "Tschuss!" because it reminds me of shopping in Germany. I had a blast.

The very first day that I ventured out to go shopping, the owner of a little antique shop gave me - gave me, not sold me - a beautiful but very ironic little porcelain statue of Jesus. It is from the 1920s or 1930s - and Jesus is blonde haired and blue eyed.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:39 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
I am an American who emigrated to southern Europe. Most of my friends are Germans, whom as a national group I seem to prefer over the many others who live here. This leads me, using the OP's standards, to believe that I was an atypical American, impolite and usually being "real" and that at last I have found my own people.

On the other hand, I have found the Germans to be helpful, funny and easy to talk to.

Maybe my affinity is explained by the fact that I lived in Manhattan for forty some years, and we are supposed to be the snarling saber-tooth pigs of America, according to other polite Americas.

´tis a puzzlement.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:02 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I am an American who emigrated to southern Europe. Most of my friends are Germans, whom as a national group I seem to prefer over the many others who live here. This leads me, using the OP's standards, to believe that I was an atypical American, impolite and usually being "real" and that at last I have found my own people.

On the other hand, I have found the Germans to be helpful, funny and easy to talk to.

Maybe my affinity is explained by the fact that I lived in Manhattan for forty some years, and we are supposed to be the snarling saber-tooth pigs of America, according to other polite Americas.

´tis a puzzlement.

Nyahhh, I'm southern to the bone and I have always really liked Germans in general. And they have always responded well to me. I'm also a Texan though, and Texans, while friendly, are also blunt and to the point. So maybe that's why I like Germans so much - who knows?

I think they're a trip. I have a lot of admiration for German culture. Except for that nasty little Nazi business - that was messy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe