Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 06:56 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,534,337 times

Advertisements

Hi all! My girlfriend and I leave for Europe tomorrow for a month! We will begin our journey in Paris, make our way down to Lucerne and then Gimmelwald, then head to Vernazza, Florence, Rome and Venice, back up to Salzburg, then to Munich and Bacharach and finally finish up in Amsterdam.

We have been planning this trip for about a year now and have all transportation and accommodations booked. I'll admit I'm pretty anxious/nervous today, but think I will feel better once we are on the plane. I have been checking the weather and it looks like it has been a little cooler and wetter than we originally expected, but won't let that affect our trip. Just wondering if anyone has any general last minute tips or words of advice? Take care!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 07:00 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,444,813 times
Watch out for pickpockets,don't wear a backpack because that's the easiest target ever.

And wow that itinerary looks exhausting,way too much for a month I'd say.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Watch out for pickpockets,don't wear a backpack because that's the easiest target ever.

And wow that itinerary looks exhausting,way too much for a month I'd say.
We are young and high octane

Also, unfortunately I will have a backpack. I don't think I will be a desirable target though.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:06 PM

Well I'm young too,but I would rather spend a whole month in perhaps 3 or 4 cities lol.

But anyway it's not my trip.Do you speak Italian?It looks like you're gonna stay in Italy for the longest.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Well I'm young too,but I would rather spend a whole month in perhaps 3 or 4 cities lol.

But anyway it's not my trip.Do you speak Italian?It looks like you're gonna stay in Italy for the longest.
No, no Italian for me lol. Here is our itinerary. Places like Salzburg and Venice everyone says 2 days tops before you will be bored, so that's why the turn around is pretty quick for us.

August 13: Fly out

August 14: Arrive in Paris

August 15: Paris

August 16: Paris

August 17: Paris

August 18: Paris

August 19: Travel Day: Paris-Lucerne

August 20: Lucerne

August 21: Travel Day: Lucerne-Gimmelwald (Swiss Alps)

August 22: Gimmelwald

August 23: Travel Day: Gimmelwald-Cinque Terre

August 24: Cinque Terre

August 25: Cinque Terre

August 26: Travel Day: Cinque Terre-Florence

August 27: Florence

August 28: Travel Day: Florence-Rome

August 29: Rome

August 30: Rome

August 31: Travel Day: Rome-Venice

September 1: Venice

September 2: Travel Day: Venice-Salzburg

September 3: Salzburg

September 4: Travel Day: Salzburg-Munich

September 5: Munich

September 6: Munich

September 7: Travel Day: Munich-Fussen

September 8: Travel Day: Fussen-Bacharach

September 9: Bacharach

September 10: Travel Day: Bacharach-Amsterdam

September 11: Amsterdam

September 12: Fly Home

Old 08-12-2014, 07:15 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post

Also, unfortunately I will have a backpack. I don't think I will be a desirable target though.
If the backpack has a back pocket, keep it empty, or don't put anything important or valuable there. Besides, you're not going out with it every day. You're just going to be taking it to and from the train or airport.

Where are you going to be staying? Budget hotels? Hostels?

OMG, you're rushing through some of the best parts! Only 1 day in Salzburg? I day in Gimmelwald? I always loved to take my time in places like that, and soak up the atmosphere and the scenery, even being young and high-octane! Exploring the hiking trails, sampling wares in the bakeries, enjoying the views.

Maybe you'll decide what your favorite places were, and go back for a longer stay in your favorites, next time.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If the backpack has a back pocket, keep it empty, or don't put anything important or valuable there. Besides, you're not going out with it every day. You're just going to be taking it to and from the train or airport.

Where are you going to be staying? Budget hotels? Hostels?
Will do about the back pocket, thanks for the tip. We are staying in two hostels. The rest are B&B's, guestrooms and budget hotels. We are going to try to get to Gimmelwald really early to hike that day and then have the full next day to either hike or whatever. Salzburg we also will have a full day and then most of the second. The second half of the trip is a little more jam packed, but we are also hoping to unwind a little more in those places and do less of the sightseeing stuff.

Old 08-12-2014, 07:23 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
We are staying in two hostels. The rest are B&B's, guestrooms and budget hotels.
Fabulous! You'll have fun and will meet great people in places like that. Does either of you know any languages? It helps if you can talk to your hosts in those guestrooms and B & B's.

Old 08-12-2014, 09:03 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,926,979 times
Better pick up the local languages. Pick up French, German and Italian phrasebooks. If you're an Anglophone, it's not difficult to learn the basics of these languages. Study them on the flight, on trains, and practice speaking with people. You will find your travels much more rewarding if you make the effort to speak their language.
Another tip - you don't have to leave the backpack in the hotel as long as there's nothing valuable in it. Take it with you and put a couple of two-liter water bottles in it. Bottled water is extremely expensive, and it's difficult to find places that give you tap water for free or cheap. Refill them every morning at your hotel and take them with you for the day. Walking around in the summer heat will make you extremely thirsty.

Last edited by arctic_gardener; 08-12-2014 at 09:24 PM..

Old 08-12-2014, 09:34 PM

About bottled water,the bottled water in markets(like franprix in France) is very cheap,you can get a big bottle of water(2 litre) with just 22 cents.
But the small bottles they sell on the streets are always ridiculously expensive,so refill your bottles every morning before you go out is the smartest way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe