Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 01:22 PM

3,098 posts, read 7,547,956 times

Advertisements

If I was to go on Holiday (vacation) to either

Latvia or Estonia or Lithuania

which country would be most worth seeing cause I don't know much about those 3 countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 01:52 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,210,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
If I was to go on Holiday (vacation) to either

Latvia or Estonia or Lithuania

which country would be most worth seeing cause I don't know much about those 3 countries.
Why not go to all three?

Also, why not do a little research. Look at Wikitravel and read about the three countries. You'll learn more in 10 minutes, than you would by having complete strangers knowing nothing about you, could possibly guess what you might like or might not like.

In general, they have more similarities than differences. Plus, based on quite a few other threads about the Baltics on this forum, there is a lot of variation of what people experienced and liked in each country.

For me, I personally preferred Lithuania. But moreso because of a ton of intangible factors, than for any particular concrete reasons that Lithuania was better than the others. Other posters on here, preferred Estonia, others preferred Latvia. There have been quite a few threads on these three Baltic countries this Summer, so might make some good reading already as well.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 08-17-2014 at 02:00 PM..

Old 08-17-2014, 02:12 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,387,876 times
The countries are small, well, perhaps not that small in area-wise but sparsely populated with small cities and in my opinion thus not a super interesting ones for a tourist. So if you go by bus from Tallinn to Riga and from Riga to Vilnius you will see during 4 hours mostly a relatively monotonous rural landscape. The most interesting are perhaps the capitals, try to visit them. Perhaps coastal areas too.
My suggestion would be that you try to visit all 3 countries -you will see more.

Last edited by Anhityk; 08-17-2014 at 02:25 PM..

Old 08-17-2014, 02:16 PM

one other question and worth posting here (and not a separate post)

any kind of ethnic foods from those countries I should try if I visit any of them.

I just ask cause where I live right now we have a Lithuanian Bakery in my town and they have some good food there.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
one other question and worth posting here (and not a separate post)

any kind of ethnic foods from those countries I should try if I visit any of them.

I just ask cause where I live right now we have a Lithuanian Bakery in my town and they have some good food there.
I agree with the foods. Pretty much everything I ate in the Baltics was great. I couldn't recommend one country over another for that though. You can't go wrong.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:56 PM

which language is the easiest to learn (i.e. Estonian and Lithuanian and Latvian) ?

or do many folks in those countries speak English?

Just asking cause I am trying to learn a bit of Russian and Georgian and few words in some other languages

Old 08-17-2014, 03:21 PM

1,704 posts, read 1,838,977 times
Quote:
which language is the easiest to learn (i.e. Estonian and Lithuanian and Latvian) ?

Just asking cause I am trying to learn a bit of Russian and Georgian and few words in some other languages
English is really widely spoken by folks around and under 30, at least in Estonia, which has the highest level of English for sure. Anyway, I would spend 1 day in each capital, since their proximity to each other.

Old 08-17-2014, 04:22 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,139,132 times
Quote:

I don't think any of the three are particularly easy to learn, Estonian is probably the hardest unless you know Finnish (even then). most people (including everybody in tourist areas) speak English. Russian might help you in parts of Riga.

regarding food -- I ate very very well in Estonia, great tasty healthy food, not sure any of it was typically Estonian (except black bread). Lithuanian food was heavier, good comfort food. don't think I had a typically Latvian meal (except Lido, lol!) but I had my greatest plov ever at Uzbekistana in Riga.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Latvia/Riga seem to have the most Russian speakers around. You might have the most opportunities there to find people willing to speak Russian as well.

You'll be fine with English everywhere though.

I'd say Estonian would be the hardest to learn of the three. It's more similar to Finnish, and that is already a very isolated language group.

Old 08-18-2014, 12:39 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'd say Estonian would be the hardest to learn of the three. It's more similar to Finnish, and that is already a very isolated language group.
There are textbooks available for Finnish. If you're into learning languages, I'd recommend you get a Finnish book. You can get along fine in Estonia on that.

However, your best bet would be to Google around and see if there's anyone offering a Finnish course where you live. Try the university (Scandinavian languages, yeah, I know it's not Scandinavian, but where else are they going to put it?), and also see if there's a Finnish community center, or a Scandinavian community center. Finnish language instructors sometimes offer a beginning course through community centers like that. You can't learn Finnish without a good book and a good instructor, who can break it down into small enough bits that you won't get overwhelmed. Also try the YMCA; they offer language courses sometimes, and you never know what they're going to offer.

And just a heads-up: don't be surprised if you try to communicate in Russian in the Baltics, and you get the cold shoulder. Unless you happen to find a Russian.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 08-18-2014 at 12:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe