Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 01:13 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,624,110 times

Advertisements

We are talking w/ my family about where'd they'd like to go. I say Switzerland. But Austria, Czech Republic, Italy, Germany & France are getting votes. Everyone is different. So, anyone help sort out for a someday expat what'd be most sensible? I took German myself in school & my g/f/ took French. My sis speaks Italian & dad knows Polish, haha, so quite a mix. Not to mention the in-laws of my siblings, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2014, 01:23 PM

1,921 posts, read 1,741,869 times
France is a very expensive country so are Switzerland and Germany. I assume you have the means to live in these countries.
These are safe countries with plenty of things to do. The job market is however saturated in both France and Germany.
Finding a job in Switzerland is a bit of a hassle unless you get transferred there.

Czech Republic and Italy are a no go for multiple reasons. They're not very safe which is mainly the reason why I'd never move there.

Austria is a nice country but there's not much to do as it's a pretty small country.

The Netherlands and Sweden can be great countries to emigrate to and the job market is pretty good but unless you speak dutch or swedish, it's gonna be hard to find something.

Most European countries would require you to speak the language fluently if you're planning on applying for jobs. It also depends on the sort of industry you're specialized in. That could give us a hint as to what countries would be a better fit.

Old 12-25-2014, 01:37 PM

102,225 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
We are talking w/ my family about where'd they'd like to go. I say Switzerland. But Austria, Czech Republic, Italy, Germany & France are getting votes. Everyone is different. So, anyone help sort out for a someday expat what'd be most sensible? I took German myself in school & my g/f/ took French. My sis speaks Italian & dad knows Polish, haha, so quite a mix. Not to mention the in-laws of my siblings, etc.
Your family wants to relocate? Do they have job prospects? EU citizenship? Where are you all living now?

Austria's kind of cool, and cheaper than Germany/Switzerland, a little. Czech Republic is beautiful, and cheaper still. The people are friendly in southern Germany (the Alpine region, generally, and Black Forest), and it's a good standard of living. The Swiss are difficult to make friends with, and aren't very friendly to outsiders, unlike the Bavarians, IME. People say life in Switzerland is highly regimented and micro-managed. The French are a warm people (if you speak French), and it's a good standard of living, the best medical care and med benefits!

Tell us more about how the family would be supporting itself there.

Old 12-25-2014, 01:51 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,348,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPhilly View Post
France is a very expensive country so are Switzerland and Germany. I assume you have the means to live in these countries.
These are safe countries with plenty of things to do. The job market is however saturated in both France and Germany.
Finding a job in Switzerland is a bit of a hassle unless you get transferred there.
I'd only consider living in Switzerland as extremely expensive in general. France and Germany are okay IMO. Salaries in those countries are generally higher than elsewhere, so it's not really an issue

Quote:
Czech Republic and Italy are a no go for multiple reasons. They're not very safe which is mainly the reason why I'd never move there.
Safety isn't really an issue in Italy and the Czech Republic.

Quote:
Austria is a nice country but there's not much to do as it's a pretty small country.
It's larger than Czech Republic, Ireland, the Netherlands, Switzerland, Belgium and other well known countries. Vienna is the second largest German-speaking city after Berlin. Quite frankly, there is lots to see and do.

Quote:
Most European countries would require you to speak the language fluently if you're planning on applying for jobs. It also depends on the sort of industry you're specialized in. That could give us a hint as to what countries would be a better fit.
At least you got that right.

@OP: Without knowing any background infos it's impossible to recommend a country for you. It's a fairly subjective choice anyway.

Old 12-25-2014, 01:54 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,825,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
@OP: Without knowing any background infos it's impossible to recommend a country for you. It's a fairly subjective choice anyway.
And subjective for the nation to accept the OP at all.

Old 12-25-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
I lived for years in Ireland, France, The UK, Belgium and Germany so I slightly know what I'm talking about.

France is very expensive and that's why the salaries are high. It may be okay compared to Switzerland or Austria, but I know first hand it's a very expensive country even if you have a high salary.

Just because a country is bigger in terms of size, doesn't mean it's better or worse than any other. Size isn't really representative.

Old 12-25-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I lived for years in Ireland, France, The UK, Belgium and Germany so I slightly know what I'm talking about.

France is very expensive and that's why the salaries are high.

Just because a country is bigger in terms of size, doesn't mean it's better or worse than any other.
Yeah, it doesn't sound like you even set foot on this continent given your shitty assessment above.

Old 12-25-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Yeah, it doesn't sound like you even set foot on this continent given your shitty assessment above.

No offense, but it doesn't sound like you set a foot outside Austria given your terrible assessment of these other countries. You don't have to be rude by calling other people's point of view "sh*tty". You sound very much full of yourself.

O.P: It defnitely depends on your lifestyle and the type of industry you plan on finding a job in. Without further details, no one can assess your situation.

Old 12-25-2014, 02:18 PM

So what? France outside of Paris isn't terribly expensive, Germany outside Munich isn't terribly expensive, Italy and Czech Republic aren't countries to be scared of and OP shouldn't be put off by Austria because of its size since it's pretty much average.

All of what you said sounds like something a stuckup American would say about countries he has never been to.

What's next? Don't go to Finland, because they are constantly drunk? Avoid Spain because people there are lazy?

Old 12-25-2014, 03:30 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,706,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Luxembourg. Check out the official languages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe