Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 12:46 PM

156 posts, read 200,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You are embarrassing both yourself and your country on here.

Boy do I wish Bonjour185 had never started this thread in this section.
I guess you have no constructive response so you are resorting to insulting me. It is undeniable that there has been an unparalleled mass exodus of minorities from Quebec, and Quebec destabilizes Canada as part of a standard routine.

But sure, us English Canadians are the ones embarrassing Canada. You don't think it's embarrassing for us, when international people see the reality of Canada? When they see our government coming to brink of collapse over some ridiculous demands from Quebec? You don't think it's embarrassing when they ask us about your language police? You don't think it's embarrassing when some Quebecker get's mad when someone calls him Canadian, and goes on a tangent about how "je suis pas Canadien, je suis Quebecois"? Or when you guys refuse to fly the Canadian flag and instead put up that blue fleur de lis and call it your national flag?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 12:47 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,840,285 times
Most Europeans couldn't tell u much about Canada beyond stereotypes (if there are any)

other than ah canada: montreal, toronto, and close to the USA!

other than this I don't think many europeans lose sleep over Canada

Old 02-17-2015, 01:06 PM

542 posts, read 503,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblue1987 View Post
I guess you have no constructive response so you are resorting to insulting me. It is undeniable that there has been an unparalleled mass exodus of minorities from Quebec, and Quebec destabilizes Canada as part of a standard routine.
Allow me to speak with a clear conscience. The "mass exodus of millions" you speak of tugs at the heart strings, but it is entirely necessary for the revival of Quebec. Those who make the free choice to leave our land will adjust just fine in Moose Jaw, Red Deer, or wherever it is they choose to relocate to. In their place will thrive French-speaking Quebec nationals. You see, the "mass exodus" you speak of is nothing more than a small growing pain in the blossoming of Quebec.

As for the destabilization of Canada. If I may be blunt, it is isn't our problem. The primary concern of the people of Quebec is the welfare of Quebec. Whether Canada sinks or swims is really quite inconsequential. Canada can whither and die, or Canada can become wealthy and powerful. We could care less. Currently we support keeping Canada as an apparatus for increasing our wealth and influence. To better illustrate this ideology, allow me to reiterate an analogy I previously made:

Like a ripened fruit waiting to be plucked, Canada has much more to give Quebec before we decide to seperate. It behooves us to enjoy all of the fruits of Canada before broaching the subject of independence. When the tree of Canada is dry and bears no more fruit, the time for seperation will have arrived.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:08 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
As I said: anyone know a good shrink?

Must be bilingual in English and French.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:11 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,311,177 times
Nobody on the rest of the planet cares about Canada, much less Quebec separatist issues. However, in that way, Quebecois and the rest of Canada will always be united. Being inconsequential is the cross all Canadians must bear.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:24 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,384,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblue1987 View Post

But sure, us English Canadians are the ones embarrassing Canada. You don't think it's embarrassing for us, when international people see the reality of Canada? When they see our government coming to brink of collapse over some ridiculous demands from Quebec? You don't think it's embarrassing when they ask us about your language police? You don't think it's embarrassing when some Quebecker get's mad when someone calls him Canadian, and goes on a tangent about how "je suis pas Canadien, je suis Quebecois"? Or when you guys refuse to fly the Canadian flag and instead put up that blue fleur de lis and call it your national flag?

Old 02-17-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
Allow me to speak with a clear conscience. The "mass exodus of millions" you speak of tugs at the heart strings, but it is entirely necessary for the revival of Quebec. Those who make the free choice to leave our land will adjust just fine in Moose Jaw, Red Deer, or wherever it is they choose to relocate to. In their place will thrive French-speaking Quebec nationals. You see, the "mass exodus" you speak of is nothing more than a small growing pain in the blossoming of Quebec.

The mass exodus of millions also happens to be a HUGE exaggeration. Even so, people move between Canadian provinces all the time just as they move within any other country.

Quebec was for a long time a poorer and then was a middle of the pack province with respect to wealth, and so obviously some people were going to move when other parts of Canada were booming.

To take interprovincial migration figures and then simply draw a conclusion that these were all people *forcibly* driven out is pure propaganda.

Old 02-17-2015, 01:34 PM

183 posts, read 218,390 times
Quote:
The mass exodus of millions also happens to be a HUGE exaggeration. Even so, people move between Canadian provinces all the time just as they move within any other country.

Quebec was for a long time a poorer and then was a middle of the pack province with respect to wealth, and so obviously some people were going to move when other parts of Canada were booming.

To take interprovincial migration figures and then simply draw a conclusion that these were all people *forcibly* driven out is pure propaganda.
This does not explain the full picture. I think the anti-English policies are too restrictiving. It is very obvious that these policies are a major factor if not the primary factor for people leaving Quebec. After years of being a strong federalist I am ready for an independent Quebec but I believe people should have the right to express themselves in any language or culture they are choosing. I also believe that Canada can have a better relationship with a independent Quebec. Now the situation is like an unhappy couple making constant threats of divorce, why not do a divorce so the next generation can be raised in a happy home?

Old 02-17-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViveLeQuebecLibre View Post
. I believe people should have the right to express themselves in any language or culture they are choosing.
So do I. How is that not possible in Quebec right now?

Montreal Gazette

CJAD 800

Home Page | McGill University

English Montreal School Board

Centaur Theatre Company

Montreal - CBC News

Old 02-17-2015, 01:51 PM

183 posts, read 218,390 times
Quote:
What I mean is I think the language laws are a bad idea. I wish my children could have known the opportunity to attend school in English. The problem is that so many want to remain a Canadian province for whatever reasons but also protect French language, so the free choice suffers. I wish we could have independence and still have no shame in learning fluent English. You know like the people in Finland can speak fluent English but are also proud to be Finnish. I believe Canada and Great Britain badly distorted our growth so we have a colonial mentality I don't know the right word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe