Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2015, 02:57 PM

4 posts, read 5,344 times

Advertisements

My brother has lived in Munich for several years and I visit him as often as I can. I've also been to Berlin and fell in love with it. I want to experience living in another country, and Germany's a place I'm drawn too. I've been exploring the au-pair route as it comes with a place to live, the freedom to go to language school too and enough money to do things in my spare time.

I've been in talks with lots of German families and there seems to be lots of talk with potential host families, and lots of people saying I'm "amongst their favourites" but everyone want to keep their options open until the last minute.

Anyway, I've got a firm offer from a family in Vienna. I was thinking I could at least improve my German then be in a position where my job prospects are wider in the future to live in Germany. I don't know really know much about Vienna/Austria though. I'd like to know if the people are friendly and if it's an easy place to make friends if you're not local. I'm not into clubbing, but like to go for drinks sometimes and want to be somewhere there is lots of choice to do and see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 05:02 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,341,443 times
People are friendly, lots of students (Uni Vienna has roughly 100k students alone), it's modern, good public transport and it's fairly easy to make friends. Make sure to learn some German before moving here, though. Makes life certainly easier.

Certainly not boring.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:34 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
Compared to where? Compared to NYC, or London, or Berlin, or Barcelona, probably.

Compared to most places, no. Vienna is a fascinating city. There's tons of stuff to do. Definitely not boring overall.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:59 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Young people in my family are always heading off to Vienna and really enjoy the city... always something to see and do...

I've stayed several times with friends that were students at the time and they were quite active...

It's the only time in my life where I didn't need of miss having a car... see, I had a car and parked it for 13 days once... simply because everything from shopping to getting around was so easy.

Vienna is different from other regions of Austria and anyone wanting to see more only need take a train to get there.

Another time I was based in Vienna and did some exploring in the Czech Republic and enjoyed it too...

These days I tend to enjoy the beauty of the mountains and make Salzburg my homebase but will always have a fondness for Vienna.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:18 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,617,096 times
I visited there a few years ago and thought it was pretty lively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe