Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 09:55 AM

26 posts, read 208,935 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I am a first generation American, I am a duel Portuguese/American citizen. My parents immigrated from Portugal to the US and have fulfilled the American dream. They love America but have been talking about moving back to Portugal once they retire, which will be very soon. The rest of my family is there including my two sisters who moved back (they were born there I wasn’t) after college and I visit every year and love it. I have been going to Portugal every year on vacation since I have been very young. The quality of life in Portugal (in my opinion) is better then in America. There is a more crime/social problems in America. In America you make more money, but you also have to work much…much harder. In Portugal they get 2 hour lunches, here I’m lucky if I have time to take a lunch. In Portugal they get 4 weeks vacation at the start of a job, in America I get 5 days which I have to work 6 months to be able to take.

So I’ve been thinking about maybe moving there as well. I’m not 100% sure but I’m in the dreaming/planning phase. My number 1 worry is finding employment and how to do find it without getting my family there involved. I have been searching the internet for ideas and now I’m here asking if anyone has any experience to please share it. How did you find a job in an international country? Are there any good websites? Has anyone on here moved from the US to Portugal? If so how do you like?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 08:37 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
I assume that you speak fluent Portuguese.

I don't think you will find employment in Portugal from outside the country, unless possibly with some kind of international organization, including schools that teach English.

The Portuguese economy has been struggling for several years, featuring low technology industries and big trade deficits.

Like anywhere else, a lot depends on what kind of skills you can bring to the labor market. Maybe you can shed some light.

In any case, be prepared for most likely low pay (but see above), intrusive and inefficient bureaucracy, high taxation, and high price levels, triggered in part by the introduction of the euro.

However, with family support, you can probably overcome the negatives. I can't stress that enough. On the basis of a good, functional family, indeed life in Portugal can be of very high quality, a fine country to live in and enjoy human life.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:08 AM

517 posts, read 1,806,749 times
I am also Portuguese and have wondered about the same. Please update us when you decide to do this. I would love to find out what happens.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:52 AM

1 posts, read 2,740 times
Good day -- well, I was in the same situation as many of you. I also was born in Portugal, and lived in the United States many years. I have moved here about 1 year ago, and am strongly considering moving back to the United States. Unfortunately, us as Portuguese always fantasize about moving back to Portugal for the quality of life and many other things, but what we don't realize is that the grass is not always greener on the other side. After living in the United States for more than 20 years, getting adjusting here is HARD - difficult even. We get accustomed to how things work (and they work) in the United States and here things DON'T. If they work, they work at a much slower pace. If I could give you one good piece of advise, don't move back. Job opportunities are scarce, leisure is not what we expect because when we come here on Vacation, things are so relaxed and nice. When you find yourself working, and paying the bills -if you can afford to pay them, you will realize that things are not what they seem when we take a month off to enjoy life here --- I know I wished I had listed to what all others told me!!

Old 03-20-2011, 10:57 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
I moved from Germany to Portugal years ago, the cultural gap is probably similar to that experienced by an American moving here.

I can't confirm that things don't work here, though. They work more slowly and differently, which might be perceived as not working.

The three biggest problems in my view are:

- Economy (unless you are self-employed, you will have a hard time finding a job these days that earns you enough to pay your bills, especially in the cities)
- Health system (the tax-financed system is not reliable at all, so people who can afford it buy private insurance and get some more demanding treatments abroad)
- Justice system (try hard never to have anything to do with it; may sound like trivial advice, but unless you speak Portuguese you might easily violate some laws or regulations without knowing it)

But one can lead a meaningful, peaceful, healthy life here, people are by and large very nice and helpful in their own way, family and friends, soccer and the beach are considered more important than business, career, and money, which might be difficult to adapt to for Americans.
Outside certain parts of Lisbon and Porto there is little crime, one can walk the darkest streets in the middle of the night without worries. Crime as you have it in US cities is unthinkable here.

However, it is a rather formal country, which might surprise people.
It is definitely not the right place for ambitious people.
The Portuguese hate and ignore know-it-alls from abroad thinking they need to tell them how to do things. Society here might seem inflexible and slow, but on the other hand it is stable.

There might be job opportunities for qualified English teachers. But as I said, this is a formal country, you'll need to provide your degrees, certificates, etc. Being a native speaker won't be enough.

Old 03-20-2011, 12:36 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,509 times
Very nice post, Neuling.

Before moving to a Latin European country (any of them), one should ask oneself whether ONE is ready to adapt to the way they live. That is actually the most important point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
They work more slowly and differently, which might be perceived as not working.
Yes, they work. But on a different pace, that is all.

Quote:
However, it is a rather formal country, which might surprise people.
Formality can be seen as a plus or a minus, it is one's personal perspective.

Quote:
The Portuguese hate and ignore know-it-alls from abroad thinking they need to tell them how to do things. Society here might seem inflexible and slow, but on the other hand it is stable.
I think this is a no-brainer. Who in the world would like someone from overseas (from any country), whether this person has ancestry from that place or not, telling them how they should live their lives? Criticizing others and constantly saying "things are better back home" is a recipe for not adapting anywhere.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:00 PM

2,226 posts, read 5,110,059 times
Latin European countries?
All Western European countries are Latin.
Latin referring to Roman legacy.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:07 PM

Of course I would not refer to northern France or northern Germany as Latin, but then again, not even to southern France or Germany, despite their Roman legacy.

Usually, Latin simply refers to the language spoken, not to heritage.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:17 PM

2,226 posts, read 5,110,059 times
France is a Latin Country, all France including Alsace and Lorraine.
Of course Southern France is Latin.
In fact, they are the luminaire of the "Latin" culture.
Germany, Catholic germans.
Not a linguistic or religious definition, but a historical definition.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:27 PM

Well, those are all very superficial, broad, yet very common characterizations. However, northern France is as little Latin as Northern Germany, except for the language. Actually, southern Germany is more Latin than Northern France in terms of culture etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe