Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 12:38 AM

8,865 posts, read 8,448,789 times

Advertisements

I thought everyone in Europe considered this as a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 12:56 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,345,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Some do (most of Western Europe), some don't (most of Eastern Europe).

PKN basically lost, because they were in a semi-finals group with lots of Eastern countries.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:02 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,700,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
You mean Eurovision or a finnish band?

That is a real band, not a joke

Pertti Kurikan Nimipäivät - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Punk Syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why you would think they are a joke? Why would a country use people to create a joke?

If you would have a kid with down syndrome or so you would call to you mother and say "We got a joke, not a child" ?

Some countries seem to not limit living just for "normal" people, they won in their country so only who would be a joke is you and other "people" who would think they are a joke.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:22 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,472,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soUlwounD View Post
You mean Eurovision or a finnish band?

That is a real band, not a joke

Pertti Kurikan Nimipäivät - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Punk Syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Why you would think they are a joke? Why would a country use people to create a joke?

If you would have a kid with down syndrome or so you would call to you mother and say "We got a joke, not a child" ?

Some countries seem to not limit living just for "normal" people, they won in their country so only who would be a joke is you and other "people" who would think they are a joke.
I don't think Greysholic was talking about that band or saying anything about people with disabilities. They were talking in general that Eurovision is thought of as a joke and it is in a lot of countries.

I don't think a lot of people are aware of the individual acts especially if they are outside of Europe (which I am). I just read about Finland's act today otherwise I wouldn't have known that they had disabilities. Yes it is a shame they didn't get to the final and more people didn't support their act.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:54 AM

8,865 posts, read 8,448,789 times
The contest not the band. I've never heard of that band before.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:57 AM

40 posts, read 52,014 times
Eurovision was always political, and countries form clubs that exchange votes notwithstanding the quality of songs.

Old 05-20-2015, 04:03 AM

40 posts, read 52,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
Australia is definitely not in Europe and even if they win this year (unlikely) they will not host it. It is a long way from Europe. Australia has very strong ties with Europe of course but so does NZ, Canada, US etc. Might as well open it up to the world otherwise.

Why not?
What about Israel, etc?
I would also invite Mexico, US, Canada, etc.
They should learn from Emmy Awards.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:36 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,472,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordovar View Post
Why not?
What about Israel, etc?
I would also invite Mexico, US, Canada, etc.
They should learn from Emmy Awards.
I just said why not. It is also not feasible anyway as Australia is so far away. Imagine all those European countries having to travel all the way here if Australia won and was allowed to host the contest. Hugely expensive and completely impractical. Not that being practical would be applied to Eurovision anyway.

It is called Eurovision for a reason isn't it? I really think this is a once off with Australia and just a bit of a novelty for the 60th Anniversary.

I know there are special reasons for a country like Israel being in the contest.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:30 AM

667 posts, read 940,673 times
Australia taking part in ESC is just ridiculous. It's hard to find a country in the world that is geographically farther away from Europe than Australia.
It's like Brazil playing at football EURO.

In general I think Eurovision is overrated. Here there's too much fuss about it in the media, people take it too seriously. Many Belarusians have some sort of inferiority complex that "we are not real Europe" and when our singers don't get to the final (whi ch is usually the case) people get hurt..

Old 05-20-2015, 12:50 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,236,535 times

https://youtu.be/Q2gbKglCL5s

I think it is normal song. Gagarina has good voice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe