Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 06:25 PM

4 posts, read 7,437 times

Advertisements

Hey guys!

I am going to move to Romania for a few months in June and I cannot decide between Cluj-Napoca and Bucharest. I'm a writer and I will be renting a place there with my good old typerwiter! All I want is a good vibe from the city and no neighbors making noise so I could work in piece.

Can you help me decide? I am sure you will have questions for me because I do not know what else to add and there will be things I have to decide between when choosing a city so just ask me! Anything at all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 11:48 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Cluj. Bucharest is too big. The nature reserves outside Cluj, in the mountains, are wonderful to visit. The cultural traditions around Transylvania are wonderful. The people in Cluj and Transylvania generally are nicer than the south of the country. It's a matter of regional culture.

What will you be writing about? Do you speak Romanian?

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-28-2015 at 12:19 AM..

Old 05-28-2015, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Cluj. Bucharest is too big. The nature reserves outside Cluj, in the mountains, are wonderful to visit. The cultural traditions around Transylvania are wonderful. The people in Cluj and Transylvania generally are nicer than the south of the country. It's a matter of regional culture.

What will you be writing about? Do you speak Romanian?
Oh yes I heard that it is more dangerous in Bucharest than it is in Cluj, but you still should stay inside at night there as well. Too bad because I reaaaallly love night walks! I heard that Cluj is cheaper and it's easier to get fresh local vegetables there as well!

I do not speak Romanian unfortunately, I only wanted to change environment to stop the anxiety because local political problems are causing me so much anxiety and I cannot focus at all!

I will be working on my surrealistic novel about people and their lives. It is not related to any cultures, it all comes from my imagination if that is where you are getting at.

How is tick problem in Romania outside Cluj by the way?

Old 05-28-2015, 11:59 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,564,833 times
Troll thread 100%. Some people are desperate out there.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARPATHIAN View Post
Troll thread 100%. Some people are desperate out there.
I am a writer and I do not have much money! A cheap country is my solution from my anxiety! Unless you have a better suggestion? I have to admit that it does concern me that people want to leave it so badly however! It could mean that it is not a very good decision at all for me to live there. So answer this but I promise that it is not a troll thread!

Old 05-28-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romaniaguy View Post
Oh yes I heard that it is more dangerous in Bucharest than it is in Cluj, but you still should stay inside at night there as well. Too bad because I reaaaallly love night walks! I heard that Cluj is cheaper and it's easier to get fresh local vegetables there as well!

I do not speak Romanian unfortunately, I only wanted to change environment to stop the anxiety because local political problems are causing me so much anxiety and I cannot focus at all!

I will be working on my surrealistic novel about people and their lives. It is not related to any cultures, it all comes from my imagination if that is where you are getting at.

How is tick problem in Romania outside Cluj by the way?
Ticks? I never had a tick problem. Spent a lot of time hiking around the mountains. No ticks.

I haven't heard anything about it being dangerous to walk around at night. But I guess that only means I haven't heard.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
I am a writer and I do not have much money! A cheap country is my solution from my anxiety! Unless you have a better suggestion? I have to admit that it does concern me that people want to leave it so badly however! It could mean that it is not a very good decision at all for me to live there. So answer this but I promise that it is not a troll thread!
People leave because they need work and they can get paid better elsewhere. This isn't relevant to your situation. How do you support yourself, btw?

Old 05-28-2015, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
People leave because they need work and they can get paid better elsewhere. This isn't relevant to your situation. How do you support yourself, btw?
I support myself by using money I inherited from my grandmother. I have a bit over 9,000 euros to spend and that would be a while for cheap living in Romania AND it changes my environment! This is why I picked Romania and because it looks beautiful! If there is no tick problem I could do some hiking if it is not too far from the city too!

I read the dangerous places are Manastur, Marasti and I think Zolirol. And some kind of so called gypsy neighborhood somewhere around there.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:52 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,564,833 times
Quote:
The don't want to leave anymore, the emigration curve is down. When UK lifted the restriction for Romania and Bulgaria in 2014, they were expecting hundreds of thousands Romanians invading them (as happened previously with the Poles). Yet, BBC barely could find few Romanians coming to work in UK:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIP3dTk12G0

If you really are not a troll and will come to Romania, you gonna understand why.

As to what city is best from the two, well, Romania has more than two cities and other may match better your interests. Do you really want a big city? You can stay in a small mountain town or village. You didn't give much details about your interests, not even about the country you come from (not an English speaking one, apaprently).

Cluj is definitely very quiet and civil city while Bucharest is noisy and annoying. The prices difference between the two is not big for food etc, though appartment renting is significantly cheaper in Cluj. Taxies are way more expensive in cluj and any city than Bucharest.

Anyway, Cluj is quite provincial and sleepy, if you want some dynamism you not gonna find it. Is like a large village with monumental historical buildings and people not very connected to the current trends. And this is how the entire Northern Transylvania is. The south of the province is more dynamic because of the intense visited cities of Brașov and Sibiu, which also are situated on the major circulation route between Bucharest and Central Europe.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:44 AM

75 posts, read 72,655 times
People advised me to go to Romania, I don't see why they're talking against it now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe