Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 06:28 AM

370 posts, read 506,348 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Anyone been to Denmark? I am thinking of visiting next year. I keep reading how the people of Denmark are the happiest. If you have gone or live there tell me your thoughts, and let me know what I need to know when visiting. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 06:55 AM

2,617 posts, read 3,464,373 times
I strongly doubt that these ratings are true. I've also read many times that all people in Denmark (and in Scandinavia in general) are depressed and unhappy because of the weather. I've never been there, but I don't think it's true either.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:50 PM

15,446 posts, read 25,884,295 times
They are not the happiest. The ratings are based on certain criteria that they assume makes people the happiest. If life were that simple they would be right, but it isn't.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:20 PM

833 posts, read 1,201,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max96 View Post
I strongly doubt that these ratings are true. I've also read many times that all people in Denmark (and in Scandinavia in general) are depressed and unhappy because of the weather. I've never been there, but I don't think it's true either.
True but untrue. Please look up the term "hygge."

Old 07-05-2015, 12:23 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,264,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrazyattic View Post
True but untrue. Please look up the term "hygge."
Looked it up, had never heard of it, but it seems Hygge, is an expression for having a nice time, or making it cozy in winter time. It has almost the same meaning as the Dutch term "Gezelligheid" or the German term "GemĂĽtlichkeit" which are also kinda hard to explain in English.
But it doesn't mean all Danes are neither happy or depressed. More so, it means they're doing anything they can not to get depressed by the ****ty weather if you ask me
And they're doing a good job at it BTW

Old 07-05-2015, 02:12 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,707,799 times
Happiest place in the earth is inside everyones mind and heart. If you are willing to make it one. No need to find happiness elsewhere. Happiness cannot be measured by annual "studies".

Old 07-05-2015, 02:26 AM

1,704 posts, read 1,843,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soUlwounD View Post
Happiest place in the earth is inside everyones mind and heart. If you are willing to make it one. No need to find happiness elsewhere. Happiness cannot be measured by annual "studies".
I thought emos had gone extinct?

Old 07-05-2015, 04:34 AM

602 posts, read 497,702 times
I don't think that Danes are happier than other European countries. It doesn't feel like it anyway from my perspective (I am Danish). One characteristic however that I do genuinely like and that I feel makes the Danish special is, they don't expect much of life which means that it is difficult to fail at life, and when something positive happens the effect of it is that much higher. It is a cultural mindset shaped by a long series of defeats, poverty and other ****ty events during the past two maybe three centuries. It is imprinted into the Danish cultural genome that the worst things will eventually happen, so you might as well be happy with what you got right now.

So, when Cambridge University makes a questionnaire in order to quantify happiness, a Dane's series of thoughts would probably be something along this: "I have a decent job, I have a few very close friends, I am not in any economic trouble, ergo I am very happy".

And he or she is.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:27 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,872,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDentist View Post
So, when Cambridge University makes a questionnaire in order to quantify happiness, a Dane's series of thoughts would probably be something along this: "I have a decent job, I have a few very close friends, I am not in any economic trouble, ergo I am very happy".

And he or she is.
Same here. And as Finns have also an endless optimism for the future, it's even adding to the happiness factor. "What's the reason of being unhappy for?"

Old 07-05-2015, 09:10 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,884,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferashley View Post
I am thinking of visiting next year. I keep reading how the people of Denmark are the happiest. If you have gone or live there tell me your thoughts, and let me know what I need to know when visiting. Thank you
OK, now you *know*, because *they* said if true or not !!
If you take all those comments mentioned above,
then the Danes have a personality that ranges from
utterly disgusting to really nice to be around with !

Kind of run of the mill human, no ?

Personally, I have friends in Denmark,
I have been there several times,
I did business with the Danes.
I take the Danes the way they are !
I try to *fit in* !
I am the guest in *their* country, so I behave as such !

Most people if you ask them straight into their face if they are happy,
most of them will not really admit that they might have some bad habit,
and thus they usually say that they are somewhat happy.

Maybe those idiotic surveys should just have one question !
*What makes your life unhappy?*
Then get that list and stay away from those situations anywhere in the world !

You *JenniferAshley*, are you a happy person ?

Did it change your thinking about going to Denmark or what ???
If you know how to behave as a guest, then you will find Denmark quite charming !

Read this and see if you might fit the types mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe