Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 05:45 AM

172 posts, read 177,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne Bjornson View Post
Ah yes, "Jogger Pants" are huge here now. I am too old for those, so I forgot about them. They are actually supposed to be stylish versions of sweats. Often they are made of chino material. I thought they were based on trends in Europe though? I guess not.

I don't know the difference between sweatpants and jogger pants. I have looked it up. What the boy in the video wear at 2:22 are sweatpants, or not? We called those pants in Germany "Jogginghosen". But I don't know what "Jogger Pants" are called in Germany. I guess we don't have those. Chino pants are also very uncommon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 06:23 AM

379 posts, read 359,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorianD View Post
I don't know the difference between sweatpants and jogger pants. I have looked it up. What the boy in the video wear at 2:22 are sweatpants, or not? We called those pants in Germany "Jogginghosen". But I don't know what "Jogger Pants" are called in Germany. I guess we don't have those. Chino pants are also very uncommon.
It's a bit of a grey area. Jogger pants originally had slim legs and narrow elastic cuffs at the bottom to highlight expensive sneakers. They also tend to have an exaggerated 'drop crotch,' sort of like harem pants. They can be made out of sweat pant material (cotton fleece) but can also be made out of denim, chino and I suppose any other material. In fact I think the original jogger pants were mainly not made out of sweat pant material, rather a chino material. They are relatively new and have only been around since maybe 2012?

Sweats are generally baggy throughout, are always made out of fleece, do not have an exaggerated drop crotch and are meant to be worn as athletic gear. Sweats have been around forever.

However, nowadays you see all sorts of different versions of jogger pants, some of which are baggier and just look like regular sweats. There are also fleece training pants from adidas and nike that would be marked as sweats but look more like joggers. I think what that guy is wearing would be marketed as joggers because he's clearly a sneaker head, but they are pretty loose fitting and you are right in that they look a lot like regular old sweat pants.

Chinos don't seem very popular in Europe, that is one style I would say would always mark an american tourist, especially an older one.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:22 AM

172 posts, read 177,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arne Bjornson View Post
It's a bit of a grey area. Jogger pants originally had slim legs and narrow elastic cuffs at the bottom to highlight expensive sneakers. They also tend to have an exaggerated 'drop crotch,' sort of like harem pants. They can be made out of sweat pant material (cotton fleece) but can also be made out of denim, chino and I suppose any other material. In fact I think the original jogger pants were mainly not made out of sweat pant material, rather a chino material. They are relatively new and have only been around since maybe 2012?

Sweats are generally baggy throughout, are always made out of fleece, do not have an exaggerated drop crotch and are meant to be worn as athletic gear. Sweats have been around forever.

However, nowadays you see all sorts of different versions of jogger pants, some of which are baggier and just look like regular sweats. There are also fleece training pants from adidas and nike that would be marked as sweats but look more like joggers. I think what that guy is wearing would be marketed as joggers because he's clearly a sneaker head, but they are pretty loose fitting and you are right in that they look a lot like regular old sweat pants.

Chinos don't seem very popular in Europe, that is one style I would say would always mark an american tourist, especially an older one.

Thank you for the very good explanation. Now I understand the difference. So we have jogger pants in Germany, but we still call them "Jogginghosen", same name as for sweatpants.

Almost all Jogginghosen these days seem to be those jogger pants like above. But they are still very uncommon, at least here in Düsseldorf (the jogger pants above are actually from a Düsseldorfer label). I would guess not more than 3% of youngsters between 15 and 25 wear jogger pants.

Düsseldorf has the reputation for beeing a fashionable city and there is the saying that the residents, even in the worst districts, don't wear a tracksuit for going to the grocery store.

I don't have a problem with jogger pants and all other clothing pieces. It just that the overall appearance of the person should be coherent.

The exaggerated "drop crotch" could be indeed of European origin. I connect this to the Swedish brand "Humör". Basically Sweden seems to have a big influence on the fashion in Germany.

Old 07-12-2015, 01:22 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Europeans don't usually copy American fashion. Unless one is interested in global fashion trends, you won't know how people in other countries dress. I don't know how Americans dress, and I wear what I like.

I see young people wearing skinny joggers and Adidas joggers. I wear them myself occasionally. As long as it's matched off with some good trainers, a nice white shirt and nice hoodie, it looks quite good.

Old 07-12-2015, 03:17 PM

1,398 posts, read 1,488,894 times
Quote:
Here in Germany, the Scandinavian countries still have the reputation for beeing very commendable. About 10 or 15 years ago, when Germany was considered the "sick man of Europe", there were constantly theme nights and discussion forums on TV, almost every evening, what the Scandinavian countries make better than we. What could we learn from the Scandinavian countries, and also from the Netherlands or Switzerland.

Social benefits seem quite similar in Germany compared to Scandinavian countries. At the moment I think Germany is doing very well, but what will happen in 5 years or so, when the labor force will dicline?
I need to ask, how much are the benefits for unemployed in Germany?

Old 07-12-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Sorry, but the price comparisons from Numbeo are mostly completely nonsense. You don't even have to travel abroad to observe this. I just can compare the prices from Numbeo in different German cities. Food or clothing for example cost everywhere the same in Germany, but according to Numbeo there are allegedly huge price differences of such goods. That is so absurd. Those numbers are contributed by internet nerds, that really don't know how much things cost.

And a figure like disposable income is quite useless, because you have expenditures in the U.S. like child care, health care or fees for higher education, that are in countries like Norway, Sweden or Germany already paid through higher income taxes.

All over the world people think that Americans have higher real incomes than in almost every other country. About 10 years ago, I also thought this, because of all those PPP adjusted GDP figures. But meanwhile I find this perception more than questionable. There are so many goods in the U.S. that are so much more expensive than in Germany. I am pretty sure, that when I need €2,000 for a certain living standard in Germany, then I will need about $4,000 in the U.S. for a similar living standard.

I don't know about Norway. For us here in Germany, Norway has the reputation for unbelievable high food prices. But Germans would also say that the standard of living is higher in Norway than in Germany.
This is how it goes I think

Old 07-12-2015, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
People should make more of an effort to look good. Going outside looking like a slob reflects negatively on the individual.
Ummm why?

Old 07-12-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
"The word jeans comes from a kind of material that was made in Europe. The material, called jean, was named after sailors from Genoa in Italy, because they wore clothes made from it. The word 'denim' probably came from the name of a French material, serge de Nimes: serge (a kind of material) from Nimes (a town in France)."

What Strauss did was to add rivets to them. America made jeans popular, no argument there, but they did not invent/create jeans.
You really need colored glasses to claim that jeans are not American

Quote:
Jeans are trousers typically made from denim or dungaree cloth. Often the term "jeans" refers to a particular style of pants, called "blue jeans," which were invented by Jacob Davis in 1871[1] and patented by Davis and Levi Strauss on May 20, 1873. Starting in the 1950s, jeans, originally designed for cowboys and miners, became popular among teenagers, especially members of the greaser subculture.

Old 07-12-2015, 03:23 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majurius View Post
Ummm why?
Sorry if I offended you.

Old 07-12-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Sorry if I offended you.
I can't forgive you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe