Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 05:20 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,657,839 times

Advertisements

I hate to start a thread about national stereotypes, knowing that any generalization is inevitably wrong as exceptions always abound. However, as an American new to Europe, I've noticed some unexpected trends in national characters. I now live in Belgium and have traveled a bit in western Europe. Prior to this, I spent my life in north America, so I'm pretty much unaware of generalizations Europeans have of one another. I wonder if my observations are in keeping with general impressions.

Are the Dutch generally thought of as extroverted? Prior to traveling in the Netherlands, I assumed they'd be more introverted as a more northern people, but I find them to be very outgoing. I was bicycling in the Hague yesterday, and a Dutch man who was drinking at a sidewalk establishment reached to give me a high five. Yes, he was drunk, but I haven't encountered this kind of openness to strangers outside of the US. I have him a hearty high five and pedaled away. This kind of interaction is somewhat usual in the US, but I haven't seen this anywhere in Europe. I've also noticed that when a lively conversation is happening, the Dutch often are drawn to it and add their opinions. I've also been approached several times by random Dutch strangers to offer assistance and directions when I appear lost. You see this in some parts of America (Midwest and South mostly), but I was surprised to find this among the Dutch. Do others notice this as well?

Other national characters that have stood out as extroverted: Serbians and Estonians. I had no pre-formed notions about them before coming to Europe, but I find both groups to be friendly and open. Is that the impression of others are just mine? I'm curious.

If you care to, please share your ideas of how other Europeans view different nationalities with a clueless American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 05:28 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,299,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I hate to start a thread about national stereotypes, knowing that any generalization is inevitably wrong as exceptions always abound. However, as an American new to Europe, I've noticed some unexpected trends in national characters. I now live in Belgium and have traveled a bit in western Europe. Prior to this, I spent my life in north America, so I'm pretty much unaware of generalizations Europeans have of one another. I wonder if my observations are in keeping with general impressions.

Are the Dutch generally thought of as extroverted? Prior to traveling in the Netherlands, I assumed they'd be more introverted as a more northern people, but I find them to be very outgoing. I was bicycling in the Hague yesterday, and a Dutch man who was drinking at a sidewalk establishment reached to give me a high five. Yes, he was drunk, but I haven't encountered this kind of openness to strangers outside of the US. I have him a hearty high five and pedaled away. This kind of interaction is somewhat usual in the US, but I haven't seen this anywhere in Europe. I've also noticed that when a lively conversation is happening, the Dutch often are drawn to it and add their opinions. I've also been approached several times by random Dutch strangers to offer assistance and directions when I appear lost. You see this in some parts of America (Midwest and South mostly), but I was surprised to find this among the Dutch. Do others notice this as well?

Other national characters that have stood out as extroverted: Serbians and Estonians. I had no pre-formed notions about them before coming to Europe, but I find both groups to be friendly and open. Is that the impression of others are just mine? I'm curious.

If you care to, please share your ideas of how other Europeans view different nationalities with a clueless American.

i think the dutch are stereotyped as being incredibly pragmatic , they often appear as ultra liberal as the likes of the swedes but its often merely a way of bringing in more business

Old 06-07-2015, 09:47 AM

10,647 posts, read 16,049,526 times
The Dutch are only extroverted when they are happy/extremely mad/under influence.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:02 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,965,382 times
Well, I guess I'll perpetuate a sterotype, but it seems to be generally true. There is a dividing line running through Europe and north of it Europeans tend to be more introverted and reserved, and south of it, with the exception perhaps of the Portuguese, people seem more extraverted and gregarious. But there are so many exceptions and these stereotypes are changing.
In England I find people outside of London especially in the north are friendlier and more accessible.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:18 AM

2,304 posts, read 2,965,382 times
But we're talking about general national stereotypes, not regional differences 50 miles apart. Stereotypes exist for reasons, they aren't formed out of nothing.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:19 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,356,572 times
In Germany the Dutch have a reputation as being cheap. I have no idea if it's true, but it's definitely the stereotype.

Also, keep in mind that Amsterdam and adjcacent areas are NOT typically Dutch. That would not be the place to get a "typical" Dutch feel. It would be like going to NYC or SF to get a "typical" middle-American feel. Not gonna happen.

Old 06-07-2015, 03:29 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,299,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
In Germany the Dutch have a reputation as being cheap. I have no idea if it's true, but it's definitely the stereotype.

Also, keep in mind that Amsterdam and adjcacent areas are NOT typically Dutch. That would not be the place to get a "typical" Dutch feel. It would be like going to NYC or SF to get a "typical" middle-American feel. Not gonna happen.

all Calvinist countries have thrifty people

Netherlands
Scotland
new Zealand

Old 06-07-2015, 08:42 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,437,043 times
PARADISE X HELL

PARADISE

Humor is British, the cooks are French, the mechanics are German, the lovers are Italians and everything is organized by Swisses

HELL

Humor is German , the cooks are British , the mechanics are French, the lovers are Swisses and everything is organized by Italians.

PS: Here in Brasil we trade italians for brazilians...

Old 06-08-2015, 01:44 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,835,122 times
No, the cooks are Italian and the lovers French.

Old 06-08-2015, 02:03 AM

10,889 posts, read 2,195,352 times
Italians : cooks, yes, French : lovers ? Huh...
Just wait till someone tell you you're not thinking straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe