Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 09:01 PM

197 posts, read 279,602 times

Advertisements

I live in the US, and for the last few years I've worked remotely (aka telecommute) to a job on the East Coast of the US. As long as I can get a reliable internet connection, my employer doesn't care where I live.

A friend suggested to me I should really take advantage of that and live in different places, for a few months or years at a time. I used to travel more when I was a college student, and always wanted to do it more.

I'm still sort of toying with the idea but....

If you had a budget of around $1,500 for a rent a month (about 1,385 euros, I believe), single and no children and no commute..... where would you live?

London? Paris? Barcelona? Rome? Berlin? Helsinki? Riga? I've traveled through the UK and Ireland, but it was years ago.

The issue of resident permits and taxes I think is a whole other situation. But imagine that's not such an issue, where would you live?

Last edited by IamReady2Move; 07-18-2015 at 09:03 PM.. Reason: some more detail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 10:54 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,654,154 times
Paris, Barcelona, Rome, London, Berlin, Helsinki, Riga in that order, allowing that you'll get better accommodation for your budget in the smaller cities. Still, 400 sf in Paris, beats 600 sf in Riga, or whatever the ratio is.

Old 07-19-2015, 04:51 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,425,232 times
Prague was ranked as the #1 city in Europe for working remotely. But I second the idea of being a real digital nomad and living in different places.

Old 07-19-2015, 06:33 AM

172 posts, read 177,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamReady2Move View Post
I live in the US, and for the last few years I've worked remotely (aka telecommute) to a job on the East Coast of the US. As long as I can get a reliable internet connection, my employer doesn't care where I live.

A friend suggested to me I should really take advantage of that and live in different places, for a few months or years at a time. I used to travel more when I was a college student, and always wanted to do it more.

I'm still sort of toying with the idea but....

If you had a budget of around $1,500 for a rent a month (about 1,385 euros, I believe), single and no children and no commute..... where would you live?

London? Paris? Barcelona? Rome? Berlin? Helsinki? Riga?
I've traveled through the UK and Ireland, but it was years ago.

The issue of resident permits and taxes I think is a whole other situation. But imagine that's not such an issue, where would you live?

I guess London is probably too expensive. Not sure about Paris. Riga is probably the cheapest place, ahead of Berlin.

My list would be: Berlin, Barcelona, Paris, Rome, Helsinki, Riga, London (too expensive)

Old 07-19-2015, 07:56 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,817,796 times
You should give a bit more specifications what you're looking for. A bustling metropolis or a smaller city? 24/7 hustle and bustle or peace to work? Do you intend to travel a lot? Do you speak any other language than English? Are you very worried about safety? Do climatological factors matter?
If you choose Paris, London, Barcelona or Berlin, you can travel by plane or train all over Europe with ease, in Helsinki or Riga you're more limited.

OTH, though I know very little about the rental markets in London or Paris for example, with €1300 you're probably still a bit from the central city, and have to commute everywhere to get somewhere. In Helsinki, Riga and probably Berlin (or Prague), you can live pretty much in the heart of the city and walk to most places of interest.
Let's take an example:
Here's a 54m2 big studio in Helsinki: 54m² Eerikinkatu 48 D, 00180 Helsinki Kerrostalo yksiö vuokrattavana | Oikotie 5489151 Inner yard, so not much noise. and it's located here: https://www.google.fi/maps/place/Eer...a3270e!6m1!1e1
Bang on in the historical core but seems to be a residental area, 600 m from the center point of the city, 80 m from the closest tram stop.

Also, if you speak only English, everyday life may be a bit tricky in Barcelona or Rome, especially dealing with bureaucracy. In Helsinki you can live easily speaking only English. Also, I know that getting access to the internet may take weeks in Italy, so that might be a problem in the start.

Dunno, some food for thought.

Old 07-19-2015, 10:29 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,266,165 times
"A city in Europe" doessn't mean nothing. There are 27 different countries in Europe with completly different languages cultures and ways of life. In which country / which culture are you attracted to ??

Old 07-20-2015, 07:28 AM

197 posts, read 279,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
"A city in Europe" doessn't mean nothing. There are 27 different countries in Europe with completly different languages cultures and ways of life. In which country / which culture are you attracted to ??
I'm interested in all of them.

Surely a 'A city in Europe' does mean something. It means a city on the continent of Europe. I never said they were all in the same country.

To be honest, I'm not sure I have the energy to attempt this, so in a way this is a 'What's your favorite city' thread, or 'If you could live anywhere in Europe, where would you live?' thread.

Last edited by IamReady2Move; 07-20-2015 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: more detail

Old 07-20-2015, 07:56 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,816,602 times
Depends on what you are looking for, all these cities have their own characteristics which sets them apart from each other. I have been only to Rome and Barcelona so i don't think i am entitled to talk about the other cities.
Anyway, i'd probably pick Barcelona over Rome for living, mostly because you wouldn't have to deal with Italian bureaucracy, it's cheaper for the most part and you can find countless low cost flights which would allow you to travel all over Europe for cheap

Old 07-20-2015, 08:15 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,410,174 times
For me, I would go with a more centralized location to serve as travel HQ. If western Europe is your thing - then Stuttgart/Frankfurt. Germany, I find the best location for travel HQ because within n 8 hour drive (sooner by rail) in any direction, you can be in Northern Italy, Croatia, Vienna, Prague, Amsterdam, Paris, Zurich, London, an Copenhagen. Plus, Germany is just a wonderful place to be IMO.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:54 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,729,269 times
I would move south and not to a city, probably somewhere in the Abruzzo region of Italy or northern Spain near the Pyrenees in Catalonia, although winters can be a bit brutal, but short.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe