Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 12:15 PM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
317 posts, read 575,151 times

Advertisements

Are there any villages or cities in Eastern Slovakia that are predominantly made up of Bulgarians, Romanians or other Balkan Nationalities?

All of my ancestors came to the U.S. from Eastern Slovakia. But I took a DNA test (I know it's not %100 accurate) which tells me I am greater than %20 Balkan Ancestry, mostly Bulgarian and Romanian.

I'm just curious if there was an actual migration pattern from the Balkans northward at some point in the past 200-300 years, or if my particular situation could be a case of just a few families deciding to move north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 02:00 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,036,010 times
Just googled it...according to wikipedia there are just 1800 Bulgarians in Slovakia and 2000 in Romania.

The Romanians, the way I see it are either locals or historically Romans. The Bulgarians: just hypothesis, there are lots of crazy theories about their origin and migrations but none of them to my knowledge includes migration to Czech-Slovakia at any point. Once the Bulgars have invaded Croatia, which is kind of close.

Romania is NOT part of the Balkans by the way. Long story short, "Balkan" means the mountains in the region...which includes lots of crazy people who drink a lot, hate the gypsies and sing oriental music :-):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balkan_Mountains

Old 12-30-2015, 07:48 PM

102,252 posts, read 108,199,089 times
OP, it must be a case of a few families migrating, or not even that, but a couple of ancestors who married Slovaks and settled there. And who knows, the Austro-Hungarian Empire might have moved people around (including Romanians), putting them in close proximity to Slovaks. Likewise, the Ottoman Empire could have shuffled people around.

Old 12-30-2015, 08:10 PM

5,774 posts, read 11,412,414 times
The second largest ethnic minority in Slovakia is Roma (aka gypsy), about 5 percent of population. A large number of those live in eastern Slovakia. Many Roma in Slovakia have ancestors from Bulgaria and Romania, so it is possible you have an ancestor from Slovakia who might have been of Roma heritage.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:46 PM

102,252 posts, read 108,199,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
The second largest ethnic minority in Slovakia is Roma (aka gypsy), about 5 percent of population. A large number of those live in eastern Slovakia. Many Roma in Slovakia have ancestors from Bulgaria and Romania, so it is possible you have an ancestor from Slovakia who might have been of Roma heritage.
Roma ancestry wouldn't have showed up as "Balkan", though. It would have showed up as Indian/South Asian.

What is "Balkan", anyway? OP, you should get back to the testing company and ask what haplogroup/s that covers. That should clear it up.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:15 AM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
317 posts, read 575,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Roma ancestry wouldn't have showed up as "Balkan", though. It would have showed up as Indian/South Asian.

What is "Balkan", anyway? OP, you should get back to the testing company and ask what haplogroup/s that covers. That should clear it up.

The report says I have %20 "Southern European" ancestry, which is almost all from a "Balkan" Subgroup. Apparently the DNA Test company considers Romania as a Balkan Country.

I have Haplogroups maternal: H and paternal: R1a1a. I'm trying to do research on Haplogroups, but it can be very confusing.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:43 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,855,047 times
You have to understand that these genetic tests and results you get cannot be traced back in Europe as some kind of homeland. They are just hints, and should taken as such.

Let's assume that my paternal haplogroup is N1 from Southern Finland, and my ancestors fought in the 30 Year War. My paternal ancestor raped your maternal ancestor in Prague while looting the whole city. Then we assume that the child survived and ultimately became a carpenter. 200 years later the offspring decided to emigrate to the US. The N1 haplotype stayed with them, but were they from Finland? No, they were from Prague. So you have it despite having no connection to Finland.

Old 12-31-2015, 08:55 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,674,082 times
Don't these tests go back much further than just a few hundred years anyway, more like thousands of years?

I know a couple of people who've had these tests done and who found the results didn't match what they knew about their family tree at all, and it raised more questions than it actually answered.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:45 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,855,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Don't these tests go back much further than just a few hundred years anyway, more like thousands of years?

I know a couple of people who've had these tests done and who found the results didn't match what they knew about their family tree at all, and it raised more questions than it actually answered.
Thousands or even a couple of tens of thousands years ago. Some people just seem to think that these tests can reveal where they are from, or where their "urheimat" is. It's only a marketing play. If we don't know where the proto-Finnish languages are from, how on earth can we pinpoint where an individual is from?

I'm interested though if my paternal haplotype is I1 or N1, but that's it.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:59 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,919,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Thousands or even a couple of tens of thousands years ago. Some people just seem to think that these tests can reveal where they are from, or where their "urheimat" is. It's only a marketing play. If we don't know where the proto-Finnish languages are from, how on earth can we pinpoint where an individual is from?

I'm interested though if my paternal haplotype is I1 or N1, but that's it.

I1 and N1 are by far the two most common lineages but if you look at the Finland Y-DNA project R1b and R1a are fairly common. A,E,G and J are very uncommon but found in men claiming Finish ancesty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe