Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2016, 07:12 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,435,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I can't figure out why he finds it so hard to understand! I have an Aunt who married a Spanish man and an Uncle who married a Spanish woman, of their kids, my 5 cousins (all guys) that they have had one has also married a Spanish girl, they have a son, makes him what? 3/4 Spanish? 1/2 Spanish? 1/4 Spanish? Who knows, what it does mean however is that like all other Britons he has a 'mixed' ancestry, I can't believe that in this day and age somebody is still arguing that the British are all some kind of pure Anglo Saxon breed! Incidently he also doesn't seem to realise that the Anglo Saxons themselves weren't even 'British' but one group of MANY immigrants to come to these islands over the centuries. We had a family gathering earlier this month for my mothers birthday around the table there was my blond auntie my dark brown haired sister, my mid brown haired mother, her dark brown haired sister, her fair haired sister (sorry already mentioned her), my cousins (Spanish father), my 'missus' (Jamaican father) my kids (well step kids) black English, my cousins, three of (Malaysian mother) and ALL of the same family, All British, and with the exception of one of my Aunties none of us are particularly 'fair' or particularly 'burn' when sitting on a beach! AND we are fairly typical of British families. Bearing all of this in mind, how exactly does he seem to think he could 'pick us out' of a crowd of people as 'British' just by looking at us?
What does your aunt being married to a Spaniard have to do with me, speaking about population genetics. Spain and the U.K. are two different European populations with different histories, regardless of appearances.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:42 PM

I
Quote:
I can't figure out why he finds it so hard to understand! I have an Aunt who married a Spanish man and an Uncle who married a Spanish woman, of their kids, my 5 cousins (all guys) that they have had one has also married a Spanish girl, they have a son, makes him what? 3/4 Spanish? 1/2 Spanish? 1/4 Spanish? Who knows, what it does mean however is that like all other Britons he has a 'mixed' ancestry, I can't believe that in this day and age somebody is still arguing that the British are all some kind of pure Anglo Saxon breed! Incidently he also doesn't seem to realise that the Anglo Saxons themselves weren't even 'British' but one group of MANY immigrants to come to these islands over the centuries. We had a family gathering earlier this month for my mothers birthday around the table there was my blond auntie my dark brown haired sister, my mid brown haired mother, her dark brown haired sister, her fair haired sister (sorry already mentioned her), my cousins (Spanish father), my 'missus' (Jamaican father) my kids (well step kids) black English, my cousins, three of (Malaysian mother) and ALL of the same family, All British, and with the exception of one of my Aunties none of us are particularly 'fair' or particularly 'burn' when sitting on a beach! AND we are fairly typical of British families. Bearing all of this in mind, how exactly does he seem to think he could 'pick us out' of a crowd of people as 'British' just by looking at us?
For your information, the Anglo-Saxons or 5th century Germanic-speaking invaders of Britain were not pure to begin with! They were already a mixture of various Germanic peoples from Denmark, northwestern Germany and the northern parts of the Netherlands. When they came to Britain, they interbred with the Celts or Celtic-speaking whom they dominated. Today we speak English, because of them. Most of their genes are among the English,to a lesser also the Welsh and Scottish. Now, this I say according to genetical research not some emotions.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
For your information, the Anglo-Saxons or 5th century Germanic-speaking invaders of Britain were not pure to begin with! So don't be alarmed. They were already a mixture of various Germanic peoples from Denmark, northwestern Germany and the northern parts of the Netherlands. When they came to Britain, they interbred with the Celts or Celtic-speaking of the British Isles,whom they dominated. Now according to scientists, geneticists, most genes are found amongst the English, especially those originally from eastern England ( you might be from there), to a lesser extent their genes are also found amongst the Welsh and Scottish. The English language came from them.

Old 01-28-2016, 05:29 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,029,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Please read my statements. Nothing you say is new, I live in a country which is much larger and much more diverse than yours. I can still pick out the Italians, the Irish, Germans, etc... It doesn't necessarily have to do with your hair colors, but also facial features etc... If you are a White Briton, you most likely wouldn't stand out in my town regardless of hair color. However, we have plenty of Eastern European immigrants (Poland, Russia, Ukraine, Romania, etc...)who come every single year here, they just stand out more. They are easily recognized. That is just the way, it is. I don't know how could I explain it. You just don't seem to be able to do it. It's O.K.!
That says it all really, I don't want to know how I would stand out in your town, I want to know what it is about me that would make me stand out as British in lets say......Milan? What would be different about my appearance compared to ALL of the Milanese?

Old 01-28-2016, 05:38 AM

Quote:
What does your aunt being married to a Spaniard have to do with me, speaking about population genetics. Spain and the U.K. are two different European populations with different histories, regardless of appearances.
You seemed confused, you kept calling me Spanish, I am simply pointing out why some of my relatives have some Spanish ancestry, I am fully aware that Spain and the UK have different 'history' but the fact is the 'people' of the two countries are not different to a point where you can 'pick out' a Spaniard from a Briton just by their 'looks', that is my whole point. Your quip about British people on a beach is just stereotypical nonsense peddled as a fact. Don't worry though people even in the 21st century still use stereotypical ideas and claim them as facts, stereotyping seems to be a hard thing to break from.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
You seemed confused, you kept calling me Spanish, I am simply pointing out why some of my relatives have some Spanish ancestry, I am fully aware that Spain and the UK have different 'history' but the fact is the 'people' of the two countries are not different to a point where you can 'pick out' a Spaniard from a Briton just by their 'looks', that is my whole point. Your quip about British people on a beach is just stereotypical nonsense peddled as a fact. Don't worry though people even in the 21st century still use stereotypical ideas and claim them as facts, stereotyping seems to be a hard thing to break from.
Oh well! It's the 21st century, let say it like it is! Britons differ from Spaniards in appearance in general regardless of hair or eye color, however this my personal opinion. Though some individuals might pass for either. Concerning paleness, it is a fact especially those of Celtic descent. The Irish Ministry of Health already posted a medical paper in 2013, stating that over 75% of the Irish population have a "Celtic complexion" which is skin which doesn't tan or has difficulty to tan. Anyone knows that the Irish are closely related to the British.

Old 01-29-2016, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Oh well! It's the 21st century, let say it like it is! Britons differ from Spaniards in appearance in general regardless of hair or eye color, however this my personal opinion. Though some individuals might pass for either. Concerning paleness, it is a fact especially those of Celtic descent. The Irish Ministry of Health already posted a medical paper in 2013, stating that over 75% of the Irish population have a "Celtic complexion" which is skin which doesn't tan or has difficulty to tan. Anyone knows that the Irish are closely related to the British.
75%!! Rubbish, tell me, in what way do Britons and Spaniards 'differ' in appearance exactly? I can check out my uncle and aunties when I see them, it must be something I have missed for god knows how many years, also tell me of those 75% Irish that has skin that doesn't tan how many of them are ginger? And if they are not ginger why do they have a red headed persons skin?

Old 01-29-2016, 05:51 AM

319 posts, read 395,339 times
Quote:
Please read my statements. Nothing you say is new, I live in a country which is much larger and much more diverse than yours. I can still pick out the Italians, the Irish, Germans, etc... It doesn't necessarily have to do with your hair colors, but also facial features etc... If you are a White Briton, you most likely wouldn't stand out in my town regardless of hair color. However, we have plenty of Eastern European immigrants (Poland, Russia, Ukraine, Romania, etc...)who come every single year here, they just stand out more. They are easily recognized. That is just the way, it is. I don't know how could I explain it. You just don't seem to be able to do it. It's O.K.!
You could perhaps pick out different nationalities, but most people can't. They are probably not interested in looking into details. I can pick out people of different backgrounds in Russia 60-70% of the time because I've grown up in a mixed area, but some people would only guess about 10-20% of the time.

That's why you are having this argument with easthome, not everyone can spot the differences because they are often subtle...

Old 01-29-2016, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalya_ View Post
You could perhaps pick out different nationalities, but most people can't. They are probably not interested in looking into details. I can pick out people of different backgrounds in Russia 60-70% of the time because I've grown up in a mixed area, but some people would only guess about 10-20% of the time.

That's why you are having this argument with easthome, not everyone can spot the differences because they are often subtle...
I am interested, perhaps you can tell me what the 'difference' is between me and my Spanish relatives? I will have to check them out to see if there is any truth into this?

Old 01-29-2016, 07:01 AM

319 posts, read 395,339 times
Quote:
I am interested, perhaps you can tell me what the 'difference' is between me and my Spanish relatives? I will have to check them out to see if there is any truth into this?
Well many Spaniards could pass as British and vice versa, so that may be the case with you. In general Spanish people look more mediterannean, darker hair, skin etc. Some features I've noticed are slightly broader face and more close-set eyes rather than wide-set. I mean..come on, I'm sure you notice that there are some differences between Europeans. In most countries those differences are not extreme, but if you go to Norway and then straight to let's say Greece you will definitely see them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe