Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 04:57 AM

17,347 posts, read 11,293,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
I don't think that most Americans would confuse Mexicans with Spaniards. By the term "Hispanic" we mean "Spanish-Speaking" not from Spain! �� OK? Perhaps the ". Brown skin" stereotype comes from them tanning really well. I don't really know. It's only a stereotype.
Many Mexicans are confused about their own heritage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 06:13 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,035,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeT View Post
- Germans: efficient, committed to order, discipline and rules, and with a strong sense of citizenship. They used to be very cohesive (as a nation).

- Italians: kickass and bad guys, very dishomogenous people, lawless (because they're not a people), very creative, possess innate sense of taste, luxury, beauty, poetry or any sort of art, everything that is metaphorically sweet and pleasant.

- French: lovers of a big and burdensome form of government, they have very good taste and style very similar to the italians, but they are snobby.

- Spaniards: bullfighting, great dancers, lazy (quite true stereotype), full of passion and spirit.

- Brits: very efficient, they used to be very proud of their country, good businessmen (avid capitalists), loyal to their country, disastrous in creativity, bad looking (due to many factors), easily conformable by the rules.
Yet have produced dozens of world class and worldwide musical talent over the last 50 years, The Beatles, The Stones, The Who, Genesis, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Elton John, Queen, David Bowie, The Clash, Deep Purple, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath (Ozzie Osbourne), The Kinks, The Cure, ELO, Yes, Massive Attack, Eurythmics, The Verve, Small Faces, The Police (Sting), Rod Stewart, The Jam, Joy Division, Duran Duran, Moody Blues, Dire Straits Fleetwood Mac, The Clash, The Sex Pistols, The Stone Roses, Blur, Oasis, Def Leppard, Coldplay, James Blunt, Adele, Lisa Stansfield, Joe Cocker, Tom Jones, The Animals, Radiohead Kate Bush - there is no country in Europe in fact the world that can boast a list like that and in fact I could go on some more if I could be bothered? The British have a worldwide TV and film industry (most UK films get lumped in with Hollywood), from the James Bond Genre, to Harry Potter, It has the BBC, it has also given the world its 'major' sports, it has writers the calibre of Chaucer, Shakespear, Dickens, the Bronte Sisters, Jane Austin, Orwell, Tolkein more recently JK Rowling etc etc etc etc (again I could go on and on). Now I know I have missed out an awful lot but to suggest that the British 'lack creativity' is laughable!

Old 01-12-2016, 12:23 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtraveler View Post
Yes they do. In my experience, many Americans (not all) confuse anyone that speaks Spanish with Mexicans. It's incredibly ignorant, but sadly true.
Ok, so we have one person's experience, do we have another? Pretty soon we might have a scientific study here!

Old 01-12-2016, 12:29 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,369,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Very true, especially in the southwest. I actually heard someone at my work refer to English as a white language as opposed to Spanish which they must have thought was the language of the Aztecs. People are so stupid. I had to give them a little history lesson on why Mexicans speak Spanish, LOL.
I live in the Southwest. I disagree that this is "very true". I have never heard anyone here describe English as a "White language" in contrast to Spanish especially considering that many of the Spanish speakers in these parts are pretty White looking.

We call English speakers 'Anglo', not 'White'. Maybe you live in a very different part of the Southwest.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:29 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
To be fair it is pretty true !
I find Italians to speak a lot less with their hands than French and Spanish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Italian men are perhaps more "masculine" than French males, thus women fall for them.
Quite the contrary. Here Italians are considered mama's boys who live with their moms until they are 40, and then they move one story below their mamas. Their awful display in the last big f**kup commonly known as WWII doesn't reinforce any masculine ideas.

Meanwhile the French, stubborn, rioting and constantly engaging in war are considered more masculine.

At least up here.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:00 PM

570 posts, read 605,334 times
The Spanish school students who attend a year in USA to improve their english language are astonished that many of his fellow american asked them where was located Spain.
Some asked if stood the alongside Spain of Mexico
And in many cases they were States which for centuries they had been of Spain as Texas or California
His thought was that the student in USA study very little of geography and history the world and only they studied very well USA and some countries of english-spoken as England

Old 01-12-2016, 02:31 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,128,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I wonder how people do to get enough sleep in spain because apparently everyone sleeps late, stays at work until late and takes no break.
When exactly do you think we go to sleep?
If we're sleep deprived it might not be by much. Recommended minimum is 7 hours, go to sleep at 1AM, wake up at 6 and you're still not missing that much sleep.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:50 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,440,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zektor View Post
Yes, you are fairly right here. Italians tend to have more curly hair aswell and as awhole tend to look "older" comparatively at the same age than spaniards do. Also features such as deep eyeset are more common among them. Compare buffon to casillas or iniesta to pirlo.
Oh well I have seen quite a few Spaniards with curly, black hair too, so I don't know much on that aspect. However they seem as a whole to have narrower facial features than the Italians or Greeks, maybe that what you're equating to the "older" look. This is only my opinion.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:57 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,440,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I find Italians to speak a lot less with their hands than French and Spanish.

Quite the contrary. Here Italians are considered mama's boys who live with their moms until they are 40, and then they move one story below their mamas. Their awful display in the last big f**kup commonly known as WWII doesn't reinforce any masculine ideas.

Meanwhile the French, stubborn, rioting and constantly engaging in war are considered more masculine.

At least up here.
Oh well as a whole, Latin people (French, Italians, Spanish, Portuguese, etc...) as a whole use a lot of hand gestures when speaking and expressing themselves. They put much more emotion in what they say, making their speech more vibrant. For me it is the Italians who use more hand gestures, but we all differ in the way, we see things.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:06 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,296,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arigarisha View Post
When exactly do you think we go to sleep?
If we're sleep deprived it might not be by much. Recommended minimum is 7 hours, go to sleep at 1AM, wake up at 6 and you're still not missing that much sleep.
1+7 = 8 for me, so if you wake up at 6 that's only 5 hours of sleep, that can be tiring after a few days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe