Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2016, 01:17 AM

12 posts, read 14,982 times

Advertisements

Hello. So I'm American and I'm planning a trip to some European countries for June this year. I will be traveling with my sister and my niece. Since I've been to some of the countries we are going to and they have never been to Europe, she has entrusted me entirely with our itinerary as long as it includes multiple countries as opposed to only one. As the last country on the itinerary I can't decide between Portugal and Greece. We cannot visit both for time constraints. If we go to Portugal we would go to Funchal, to a resort at or near a beach, and also do a day-long grand tour of Madeira. If it's Greece, we would visit Corfu Town, Glyfadada beach in Corfu, the Akropolis in Athens, and Chania (not on a tour except for Akropolis). We like a mix of architectural beauty, historic sites, great food (definitely not necessarily high-end restaurants, they could be, but definitely don't have to be, and as reference I like food more exotic or with some kick and flavor and not bland), and finally natural beauty. This last one is important-- we love beaches and scenery of tropical and subtropical places, the lusher the vegetation and the clearer the water the better. From pictures I've seen Glyfadada in Corfu has that feel but so does Madeira so which more so? I also love Spanish culture and architecture, so places with similarities to Spain would be great. I could be wrong but I think of Portugal as having similarities, at least I would think so based on similarities in their languages, but I've never been to Portugal so I can't truly say.[ I would argue that the Greek language is coincidentally very much like Spanish in terms of pronunciation and some of the grammar (very little in actual vocabulary and nothing in other ways like different writing systems and Greek cases, and I know there's no relation whatsoever between the 2 languages)]. I know there's no historical relation whatsoever between Greece and Spain, but a Greek native professor told me the 2 cultures are "absolutely very similar" (without my asking). So I can't go one way or another with that either lol. My sister is fascinated by Greek history and Ancient Greek mythology, but that's not to say she would be devastated if we went to Portugal instead. Another factor is budget. I'm paying my way and she's paying for herself and her daughter, but my budget is moderate and hers is high, so for me it's not an issue as long as it's well-planned and I'm not taking taxis from every single place to another and spending 100 euros or more on my own meal every meal everyday. So which country gives more bang for your buck? (Lol) I welcome opinions from anyone, European, American, or anyone else. Thank you very much in advance! I've really been trying to decide for about a week (not that it's the worst dilemma I could have! lol).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 03:52 AM

9,366 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabuka85 View Post
... I can't decide between Portugal and Greece. We cannot visit both for time constraints. ... We like a mix of architectural beauty, historic sites, great food ... and finally natural beauty. This last one is important-- we love beaches and scenery of tropical and subtropical places, the lusher the vegetation and the clearer the water the better. From pictures I've seen Glyfadada in Corfu has that feel but so does Madeira so which more so? ... I've really been trying to decide for about a week (not that it's the worst dilemma I could have!
Gee, that indeed is a tough dilemma, but a nice one to have. There are so many ways you could look at it.

I'll throw out a few.

For example, do you prefer ocean beach or sea beach?

Madeira subtropical, Corfu Mediterranean.

I'd give a slight edge to Portugal in terms of food, but not sure about Madeira in particular. Overall, I would not consider either Greek or Portuguese food, if we can speak in those terms, particularly spicy.

While both Greece and Portugal obviously have historical and architectural treasures, not sure that Madeira and Korfu are the best destinations for that in particular.

However, you seem to imply that you would also travel around a bit in Portugal or Greece in addition to just the beach destinations. In that respect, Portugal will certainly have more in common historically and culturally with Spain than with Greece.

Portugal and Spain for Romano-Mozarabe period, as well as the more recent European period, Greece for ancient and Romano-Byzantine periods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabuka85 View Post
I know there's no historical relation whatsoever between Greece and Spain, but a Greek native professor told me the 2 cultures are "absolutely very similar" (without my asking).
Having said all that, then, there certainly is plenty of historical relation, architectural and cultural similarities among all Mediterranean countries, including Greece and Portugal (even though some downplay the Mediterranean cultural aspects of Portugal) and including as well as the southern and eastern Mediterranean countries. Just for example, recently I had a meal at a Moroccan restaurant and it could easily have been a Greek one or a Lebanese one in terms of ingredients, style of preparation, and even classical Mediterranean décor and cultural atmosphere.

Another way to look at it: this will be your sister's and niece's first trip to Europe; will it be their only trip or do they plan on coming again?

If the only trip, perhaps Greece would have priority over Portugal, if just to see the Akropolis. If they plan on coming again, perhaps consider grouping together on a separate trip Greece, especially Crete, with Sicily (assuming you are not going there on this trip) and a few other Mediterranean islands such as Cyprus, Malta and the Balearics, and if you are really adventurous perhaps also Tunis and Rabat (or the Spanish enclaves if less so); you would learn a lot more about the Mediterranean of a time (eastern Mediterranean might be too dangerous right now, but perhaps also Israel).

Anyway, I wish you happiness in your excellent dilemma!

Last edited by bale002; 01-09-2016 at 04:24 AM..

Old 01-09-2016, 07:11 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,665,401 times
I've been to Greece several times. Athens was nice and very good food. One time, instead of the usual guided tour, we negotiated with a friendly cab driver and he gave us a tour of Athens and took us to his family home for a home cooked Greek dinner. The other place in Greece we visited was the island of Rhodes. Oh how I loved Rhodes. It had everything I wanted. Crystal clear waters, ancient Greek historical sites, church knights forts, modern hotels, night clubs, good restaurants, and beautiful places for snorkeling/diving. Morning was spent eating breakfast and visiting some historical sites, afternoon was spent eating lunch and lounging on the beach, evening was spent eating dinner and shopping before a night of drinking and dancing. Some days I skipped the beach for snorkeling or a guided tour of particular locations.

Another place to consider visiting in future travels is the island nation of Malta.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:21 AM

83 posts, read 129,200 times
I think you'd be doing a disservice to yourself by going just to Madeira and not mainland Portugal (I also don't see how this is cost-effective since Funchal is probably more expensive to anywhere than Lisbon). I love Portugal and Greece and have spent quite a bit of time in both, and given your choices, I would definitely pick Greece. Stay in Athens, hop around a couple islands (you can do easy daytrips for many), and please don't go on a guided tour of the Akropolis. Explore, revel in its Mediterranean beauty.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:53 AM

749 posts, read 856,246 times
Why not going to Spain if that's what you're interested in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe