Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 01:10 PM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,575,147 times

Advertisements

Brussels is not bad at all, but I still prefer to visit smaller cities like Brugge or Gent and its nearest countryside areas, which are really charming, beautiful like anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 01:42 PM

218 posts, read 199,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive1979 View Post
Brussels is not bad at all, but I still prefer to visit smaller cities like Brugge or Gent and its nearest countryside areas, which are really charming, beautiful like anything else.
I never had the opportunity to visit them but they clearly have their own charms Liège and Antwerp are really charming as well. Belgium has a lot of charms in the end.

Old 01-21-2016, 01:51 PM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,575,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDenizen View Post
I never had the opportunity to visit them but they clearly have their own charms Liège and Antwerp are really charming as well. Belgium has a lot of charms in the end.
Yes, you are right. I would say not only Belgium, but Benelux as a whole is a beautiful, charming place among the best places in Europe so far.
I am from southern Europe so my background and way of life is southern one, but still I love Benelux so much, lol.

Old 01-21-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive1979 View Post
Yes, you are right. I would say not only Belgium, but Benelux as a whole is a beautiful, charming place among the best places in Europe so far.
I am from southern Europe so my background and way of life is southern one, but still I love Benelux so much, lol.
Sure That would deserve to be more known and visited. Belgium needs to promote itself much better because they're doing a poor job, I mean so many people ignore the existence of The Atomium, I ignored it before going there o_o

Old 01-22-2016, 01:11 AM

What saddens me is that the recent attacks in Paris and the lockdown somewhat tarnished its image :/

Old 01-22-2016, 05:38 AM

Touring Belgium: Easily Europe’s Most Underrated Destination

A seasoned traveler learns that you haven’t seen Europe until you visit this sophisticated little country where beer is for breakfast and chocolate is for lunch

http://www.wsj.com/articles/touring-...457554]Touring Belgium: Easily Europe

Old 01-22-2016, 07:46 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
I love Belgium. Ghent is beautiful and not as touristy as some other destinations.

Old 01-22-2016, 07:47 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDenizen View Post
They're not mine, thanks Google The pic you show is quite unfair, it's dark and random..All cities have places like that I visited downtown Brussels so many times last summer, it was much more beautiful than that, more similar to the pics in my first posts.
Just a heads' up - because I've gotten in trouble on this site before - copyrighted pictures are a violation of the Terms of Service.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Just a heads' up - because I've gotten in trouble on this site before - copyrighted pictures are a violation of the Terms of Service.
Oh ok I didn't know, I will remember that, thanks

Old 01-22-2016, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arab-beauty View Post
Brussels is badly underrated

people go there walk around la grand place, go to a few museums near the royal palace, go to the Atomium and think that is it!

Brussels has some really amazing neighborhoods filled with character and color, but you have to leave the city.

The flea markets there are next to none and some of those bars, brasseries, pubs, coffee shops with live music are just amazing!

What other city in Europe has an entire neighborhood dedicated exclusively to antique shops selling some amazing treasures you won't find elsehwhere?

the restaurants are very good and affordable, there are theaters, venues with live music, puppet theaters that are pretty cool to experience, squares filled with character, forests inside the city where you can go ride horses!
It's also shockingly international

plus it has some of the best architecture in europe. (Art deco and Art nouveau) hardly can find that anywhere else!

Taken from Belgian posters vintage

Taken from Art nouveau vitor horta Belgium

Unlike amsterdam, which most of its charm is around the city center, with rather dull neighborhoods. Brussels charm extends to the neighborhoods! Woluwe on the east is an art deco paradise, while ixelles on the south is an art nouveau paradise, Matonge is like visiting Africa, while anderlecht is like a trip to morocco. Then you have incredibly beautiful neighborhoods filled with elegant mansions and gardens with lakes and castles. (it's a really underrated city)

and of course, amazing beer, chocolates, and belgian food overall is worth the visit!
Glad you love it Do you live there?

According to the stats only 25% of people living in Brussels are Belgian so yes it's really international
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe