Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 11:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,303 times

Advertisements

I have been for a very, very long time on a quest to find what the most well-off economically, organized, and mentally "Nordic" (so to say) countries and regions of Europe are.

After a lot of reading, researching, looking for, I have come up with the following places:

-Western Europe: Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, United Kingdom, Ireland, France, Basque Country.

-Northern Europe: Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Faroe Islands.

-Honorary mentions: Estonia (least corrupt amongst ex-commies, seemingly high levels of social trust, organization, innovation and overall progress), Slovenia (most successful amongst ex-commies, organized, clean, rich and second to Estonia at corruption).

-Pending: Catalonia (seemingly rich, organized, region, with reserved people, but high levels of corruption), Andorra (not enough information).

All these countries are among the top-performing in numerous measures, and they present lots of points in common: organization, low corruption, reserved character of their population, work ethic, logic, pragmatism, and so on, what one could call a "Nordic" or "Northern" character.

I have researched a lot and even read books on the subject. A very good book by Richard D. Lewis, "When Cultures Collide", schematizes cultures into 3 ways, presented here alongside a map of Europe.

https://encounterargentina.files.wor...e568-large.jpg

http://www.crossculture.com/wp-conte...urope_7001.jpg

Given all this context: I would really like to know if there is any region missing in this group. So far I couldn't find any other which would fit the common characteristics of this grouping (not even Northern Italy).

As can be seen on the map, most such countries can be described as linear-active. One could say Czech Republic (also a relatively well-faring Eastern European country) and Latvia could be in, but I have gone through some info which could prove otherwise.

If you are experienced in this field, is there anywhere else which could fit in this group of positively-viewed countries/regions?

Also, would Catalonia and Andorra be nice examples? Catalonia, Andorra and Southern France are apparently the only of such kind in Southern Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 12:15 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,287,431 times
thanks for your imput.

Old 02-06-2016, 03:44 PM

10,889 posts, read 2,190,823 times
oh all those pretty colors!

Old 02-06-2016, 03:51 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ- View Post
Why are northern France and Belgium the same color as Croatia?

I kind of agree; the coolest thing about the maps people post is the colors, lol. Since the info they're intended to convey isn't always accurate.

Old 02-06-2016, 03:57 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,438,262 times
Why are some random, seemingly unrelated countries the same colour according to that Lewis Model thingy? Belgium and Israel? Korea and Thailand?

And I really don't find Taiwan and Hong Kong culturally similar at all...other than the common enemy and the written script.

Old 02-06-2016, 04:07 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,184,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ- View Post

It looks like one of those awful PowerPoint presentations at work.

Old 02-06-2016, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why are northern France and Belgium the same color as Croatia?

I kind of agree; the coolest thing about the maps people post is the colors, lol. Since the info they're intended to convey isn't always accurate.
i don't think there was anything intented with these ones, apart from having a good laugh or a big palm face. but well yeah, at least, there's the colors.

@cmptrwlt

Quote:

It looks like one of those awful PowerPoint presentations at work.

haha.

Old 02-06-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Useroneu View Post
Northern Croatians (Zagreb) are more linear-active in their discourse, with a sober style when it comes to business, with occasional flashes of sentiment.

Quoting the book:

"There is nothing Slavic, Latin, Hungarian, Germanic or Middle Eastern that seems totally strange to Croats".

Relatively fit for that color.
do you think it make any sense at all to me?

Old 02-06-2016, 04:25 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,438,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Useroneu View Post
Hong Kongers and Taiwanese share the same social behaviour.
What social behaviour? Bashing China? If that's what he's talking about then probably.

Rude Hong Kongers and friendly Taiwanese are like the most famous stereotypes in the Chinese-speaking world. Same social behaviour? I think not.

Old 02-06-2016, 04:40 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,892,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
What social behaviour? Bashing China? If that's what he's talking about then probably.

Rude Hong Kongers and friendly Taiwanese are like the most famous stereotypes in the Chinese-speaking world. Same social behaviour? I think not.
It was probably decided that you both look similar enough, so hey why not throw you in the same category together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe