Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 09:12 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,076,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krokodill View Post
Dutch, LOTS as they have colonies there, check it in kmartpedia.
?? There's no such site as "kmartpedia."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 05:55 AM

426 posts, read 394,263 times
The one at Kmart.

Old 03-22-2016, 02:40 PM

54 posts, read 55,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chompy Omega View Post
There are effectively zero Dutch or Scandinavian people in Latin America.
how do you know this?

you mean to tell me I will not be able to find a single dutch, swedish etc. person somewhere in mexico, buenos aires, rio etc?

NONE like 0

Old 03-22-2016, 02:49 PM

Quote:
No, that is just wrong. There's maybe 10,000 germans in all of South America. There are almost no Dutch people. Maybe 6000. You could ask a Dutch if they go to latin america and they would just look at you strangely.

Scandinavians also do not go to Latin America. No latin american country is in the top 25 travel destination for any Scandinavian tourist.

The notion that Scandianvians want to avoid Americans is also untrue. When they travel outside of Europe, the USA is the top vacation destination for Norwegians, Swedes and Danes. Main destinations are LA, NYC and Miami. Norwegian Airlines has dedicated non stop shuttle routes for vacationers going to these cities.

Even Russian is wrong... if Russians want to go to "Latin America" they go to Miami.

The answer for all this is simple and obvious... cost. It costs three times as much to go from Europe to anywhere in South America as it does to go to Thailand or the USA. It costs five or ten times as much to go from Sweden to Argentina as it does to go to Spain. Why would anyone bother? Well.. they don't.

Yes, there are loads of Italians in Argentina but that is because it's one of the largest european groups that settled there.
My ex is Dutch and now he lives in Rio. I also know a french guy who married his girlfriend and ended up buying a small hostel in Ecuador by the galapagos. I also know a swedish girl who actually learned spanish in mexico and lived in southern mexico with the indigenous of the region for several years.

Also know of a Norwegian ex-colleague who worked in london and recently moved to Dominican republic because she was sick of cold london and wanted beach weather and tropics.

And since when is Miami Latin America?

too many stupid generalizations.

How can you say a gigantic region of the world with over 25 countries including the caribbean islands, brazil, argentina, cuba, peru etc. Receives not a single European tourist because they all exclusively go to the USA?

I am European and just got back from Buenos aires and it was packed with not only European backpackers from Austria, Germany, Britain, Italy, but also Aussies, South Africans, Japanese. Even in the Iguazu falls (much bigger than Niagara) I met a bunch of hiking Russians!

Southern Argentina (Land of Fire/Patagonia) is also a favorite for many Europeans who want to see the world!

And don't even go to Macchu Pichu in Peru, it's filled with Europeans!

On the plane I met a German guy who lives in Medallin Colombia, and in fact hates going back to Germany because everyone is uptight and unfriendly contrary to his adopted country in South America.

The moral of my comment is that you shouldn't generalize!

Last edited by morga; 03-22-2016 at 02:58 PM..

Old 03-22-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonzy View Post
Yeahhhhh right. The most dangerous city in Spain isnt half as dangerous as the safest city in Mexico. Dont kid yourself! And No! Cartels are not everywhere(everywhere in mexico maybe hahaha), they are not in Spain, they dont even have street gangs in Spain much less Cartels. The world is not a ghetto my friend, but mexico sure as hell is!
Please don't you ever compare that violent, poor, failed state of a country you call Mexico to the Great Kingdom of España! Long live the King!
Have you been to Mexico? probably not

You're just speaking from ignorance and prejudice.

Old 03-23-2016, 06:47 AM

426 posts, read 394,263 times
I have several friends that moved to Colombia, Santa Marta, a couple in Panama, the ones in Mexico work/have companies there. Colombia is working well, also Peru.

As to Brazil, that place was in fashion, no more, at least in Spain.

If countries like Venezuela and Argentina do stabilize, the flow could be very big.

Spain, for Spanish retirees, is boring and expensive, maybe for very old people.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:15 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
I love Spain and my personal preference would be the Costa Blanco, close to the Alicante/Santa Pola area. One of the things I liked the most was the residents are from everywhere.

Old 04-01-2016, 11:18 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonzy View Post
Yeahhhhh right. The most dangerous city in Spain isnt half as dangerous as the safest city in Mexico. Dont kid yourself! And No! Cartels are not everywhere(everywhere in mexico maybe hahaha), they are not in Spain, they dont even have street gangs in Spain much less Cartels. The world is not a ghetto my friend, but mexico sure as hell is!
Please don't you ever compare that violent, poor, failed state of a country you call Mexico to the Great Kingdom of España! Long live the King!
Mexico definitely has problems, there is no denying that.

But if you have no current experience with the country, why comment? I'm there on many weekends, have been for many years and I am here alive. There are plenty of smaller beach towns, or smaller cities that people may enjoy to live in. That is why many Americans/Canadians/Europeans have made homes and created businesses in places like Todos Santos, Cabo San Lucas, Playa del Carmen, Oaxaca, Mexico City, etc...etc..I have actually been to those places and have met these people that live there.

I would say the decision would come down to knowledge/interest of the culture, and how far you can stretch your money where you decide to live. Do you want to live in a big city, or a small beach town? There are many factors to take into consideration.

Old 04-02-2016, 02:32 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,727,236 times
Quote:
No, that is just wrong. There's maybe 10,000 germans in all of South America. There are almost no Dutch people. Maybe 6000. You could ask a Dutch if they go to latin america and they would just look at you strangely.

Scandinavians also do not go to Latin America. No latin american country is in the top 25 travel destination for any Scandinavian tourist.

The notion that Scandianvians want to avoid Americans is also untrue. When they travel outside of Europe, the USA is the top vacation destination for Norwegians, Swedes and Danes. Main destinations are LA, NYC and Miami. Norwegian Airlines has dedicated non stop shuttle routes for vacationers going to these cities.

Even Russian is wrong... if Russians want to go to "Latin America" they go to Miami.

The answer for all this is simple and obvious... cost. It costs three times as much to go from Europe to anywhere in South America as it does to go to Thailand or the USA. It costs five or ten times as much to go from Sweden to Argentina as it does to go to Spain. Why would anyone bother? Well.. they don't.

Yes, there are loads of Italians in Argentina but that is because it's one of the largest european groups that settled there.
You are probably right about danish retirees and tourists in Latin America. The trip is too expensive. Nevertheless, you will find danish tourists in Argentina and Chile, usually young and adventurous.

By the way, the Western Cape region of South Africa is attracting a fair number of dutch and german retirees.

Old 04-23-2016, 11:09 AM

33 posts, read 68,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Costa del sol is probably the least interesting part of Spain. It is probably more British than Spanish, so what's the point to retiring in Spain without being in Spain? If you want warm and sun, you might just go to Thailand for a fraction of the price.
You obviously have never been there. I lived in Puerto De Santa Maria (Costa de la luz) for 3 years which is on the southern coast along with Costa del sol. I can tell you there is plenty interest, culture, and activities. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that there are more festivals/celebrations/holidays annually here than any other place in the world! I will say that Marbella is not typical for Andalusian town but it's still a good time.

Reference the topic at hand, I would chose Spain over Mexico and it's really not even close. The crime would be my deciding factor between the two. I felt safer in south Spain than I do here in America. Plus, you can travel all around Europe! I was paying $1300 usd for a 3bed 2ba townhouse on the beach in an awesome community in Spain. Wake up, walk the beach, stop by my favorite shop for some cafe con leche and practice my Spanish with the locals. Nightlife is amazing. Food is good. Weather is great. Paradise. I'm actually about to cry just writing this lol. Anyways, good luck with your decision and happy retirement (when the time comes).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe